Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,945 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any data on cloud coverage?

Whatever about the wettest summer it has to be one of the cloudiest summers ever.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Thought today was supposed to be part of our short “heatwave”? It was drizzly dross all day in Kilkenny though very mild and humid. Yesterday was great to be fair. Weather just seems stuck in a constant Atlantic cycle so until that changes it’s pure rain, cloud and dullness. Next week appears it might be better?

Do you think it will get dry or unsettled and warm? Lots of farmers need dry sunny weather Fodor hay making, at least 5 dry days in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Some heavy pulses of rain this evening. Big contrast in rainfall totals for the next 7 days. Up to 59mm in the NW and up to 3mm in the SE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

That's mad :/ the west does be crap for weather but when it's warm it can be warm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭glitterIsland

The change to a little bit of sun is a huge welcome I must admit but it's still not great. Like yesterday started off wet and cold and by afternoon the sun came out. I didn't check the weather and I was caught with a jacket and hat and no suncream and sweating. It wasn't very ideal. I tired to get the grass cut but the mission was abandoned due to flying ants in the evening.

Then today I dressed for a summer's day and it was cloudy and overcast and cold too and then the rain came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭acequion

Second half of August being roughly when Gonzo? Put some kind of date on it please, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Clearing up nicely here in Castlebar after a miserable evening. its brighter now than it was at 6pm lol. Anyway should be alot of clear skies following on to see plenty of shooting stars as the Perseids meteor shower reaches its peak over the next few nights.

Post edited by Oscar Bravo on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,152 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Just back from a run. Couldn't see Howth from Raheny coast, foggy and misty af. Wind is cold. Christ it'll be winter before we know it, we've been taken for mugs this "summer". Someone needs to be held accountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Such a horrible evening compared to Wedneday evening. NE Galway.

Salthill today was overcast, breezy with temperature around 20⁰.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

At the moment it's hard to say how dry it will be as there could be some volatility into the mix but it looks like summer will be making a return from about the 15th or 16th of August, nothing too crazy but low to mid 20s seem almost certain at this point which is a million miles better than the crap we have seen since 20th June bar a couple of nice days. This spell is likely to last at least a week and could break down into a rather thundery setup, but we have several more days of model watching to go before we get a clear idea of temperatures and dryness/sunshine etc. This spell is likely to have easterly or south-easterly winds so the west will likely once again see the highest temperatures, for the east it should still be warm and not the chill that we had in May and early June.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭pauldry

Off for the next 2 weeks in Britain and Ireland and weather seems to be playing ball. Mid twenties looks certain some of the days and over 20c most of the days.

If that all happens there is not an awful lot too bad to say about Summer 2023 in Sligo.

Yes July was exceptionally wet. But it hasn't been dull. There hasn't been days and days of drizzle. There hasn't been cold weather.

So 1985 and 1986 will never be beaten. They were 14c a lot and even 11 or 12c in August. That can't happen now since the world is on fire. 15c seems the coldest it goes and barely goes below 10c in Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭esposito

The east/south east winds in August rarely bring a chill to eastern counties compared to June. Hopefully the wind will be more from the south east as southern Europe has been hot.

Bring on the heat spike next week. Want to enjoy it while I’m still on my holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

June was considerably above average so July wasn't cloudy enough to balance it out, so believe it or not, if you take summer as June, July and August then it will have to be rather cloudy rest of this month just to produce an average result. The numbers so far (from our contest tracking) are 133% in June and 83% in July. The first week of August was 74%. August may begin to improve and reach a final value around 90%.

If you take the astronomical season of summer however, I think June's surplus was almost all from days before the solstice so I would imagine the astronomical season of summer is running close to the July average. I have read on Net-weather that cloudy skies have been even more persistent in parts of England, one location was quoted as ending July at only half the average there. All seven of the sunshine recording locations in Ireland are located around the coasts (and at Shannon) so if it has been cloudier in the midlands that would not impact the stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

We must be getting the best of the weather as we have had great days of sunshine and heat since Friday in Donegal, albeit some short bands of rain. It was brillant to get out and about and enjoy the great outdoors here over the long weekend. We went to Murder Hole beach on Tuesday and it could have been mistaken for the Algarve. August has been an amazing improvement on July, we can actually have a life!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Indeed, a very cloudy summer statistically will be tough to achieve thanks to the sunny June skewing things. June was more sunny than July was cloudy relative to average - I think this shows how awful the standard Irish July really is to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Boiling kind of heat with lots of cloud here most of morning.

Just back from a clammy run and the heavens opened. It appeared very briefly on radar before came down.

17⁰ NE Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Some nice sunshine in Dublin this morning, but really quite windy. It's dry, though, which is all that matters at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Rain after a cloudy morning. Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Seriously gusty in D24 today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,152 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

really windy and cloudy in Dublin, according to RTE it's 22c and blue skies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Yay, the torrential rain has arrived! Just in time for the weekend. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Kiddy paddling pool out in the garden for the first time since June, summer has finally returned! Currently 21.5C and fair weather in south Dublin.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

Where I am in south county Dublin it's literally around 22º with clear skies (it is very blustery though).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Blustery heavy showers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yeah , after a grand breezy and bright first half of the day starting to get some heavy showers now here near Tralee and windy, just got the grass done thankfully. A fair bit of rain to come in overnight and showery day tomorrow to follow. Hopefully with some sunny spells. 17.8C down form 19.9C

Met Office

Post edited by Meteorite58 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Another very windy day. Been a lot of them lately.

Some very heavy showers on and off since 4pm in Dublin. And very windy. Still sunnier than the previous two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Your Dublin is not my Dublin. Yesterday was wall to wall sunshine in D24. No rain here today but there's been a gale all day.

Plant pots and deck chairs all over the garden.

• Advertisement

Yes lots of differences in a short distance. I'm only in Lucan so not too far from you. We had cloud all day yesterday. Sunny but windy today. Rain started late afternoon.

Advertisement