Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Are there factors that make high pressure over Greenland more likely during our summer months or is it just sheer bad luck?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

So long as its there in time for my winter snow watching fix! Not that there will be any snow to watch out for....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Separately, another beautiful day today in West Cork. V lucky our Irish holiday has coincided with the best weather since June (admittedly that's a low bar...)

No idea why this is sideways btw...

Mod Note: fixed it for ya...

Post edited by Meteorite58 on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Not Ireland. Frankfurth Airport tonight after heavy rain. Eurorpe is getting some extreme weather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭esposito

No polar vortex in summer the main reason.

When the PV gets going (usually November onwards) it’s almost impossible for HP to set up over Greenland.

Perhaps there are other factors too which some of the more knowledgeable posters might explain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Cracking morning in D24. Just a pity it's not 3/4 degrees warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭pad199207

Warm and sunny in Kildare with temperatures already over 20°c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Give it an hour or so and your desire will be fulfilled.

I'll want another 3/4 degrees onto that tho. It's beautiful here but for mid August a day like today you'd want it warmer.

This is what I'd want. Only 17 degrees in D24.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Looks like Fohen effect warmth for you and that vicinity of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭esposito

Time to get a long overdue swim in the sea. Stunning morning in south Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Dark and grey Cork City pish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Powerful morning. Bright and sunny.

Shame its not going to last......that rain warning tomorrow. Boo, for a road trip West.

Currently 19⁰ Meath

A SawDoctors concert in a tent in a field in Tuam this weekend. Hope not washed away. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Low arctic sea ice has theorised to have been a reason too - 2007 and 2012 were record low arctic sea ice and both had tanks of high latitude blocking resulting in deluge, atrocious summers for us. But with this, it's like a chicken and egg scenario. Does the low arctic sea ice amplify/aid the blocking or does the blocking aid the low arctic sea ice? This is especially not clear because most summers since 2007 have had an unusual persistence of -NAO, the exceptions were 2013, 2018, 2021 and 2022.

There's other theories or hypothesis that have been the cause of our -NAO summer galore since 2007 but they don't have much ground in my opinion such as how frequently La Niña has happened (mid-Atlantic ridging later in summer) but Niña happened in 2021 and 2022..

At the end of the day, the lack of the stratospheric polar vortex as a driver in summertime means drivers are not as clear cut at this time of year compared to winter relatively speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭squarecircles

<Mod Note off topic post deleted>

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Thought it was supposed to be sunny in Cork today.....almost lunch time and still grey and overcast 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

So, east coast this weekend, forgetting Friday, sunny or not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Beautiful sunny morning in North Kildare today, but has become quite windy. Not pleasant to sit out in, which was really disappointing this lunch time. But this run of mostly dry weather for the last week has been a welcome relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭secman

<Mod Note off topic post quoted deleted >

I was talking to a Spanish lad who's heading back having been working here in Dublin for the last year or so, he does a lot of cycling, commutes too. And he's going to really miss the "Emerald Isle" as he said to me, never heard him moaning about the weather . It's all relative you know 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

20C. Sunshine this morning but my God, the wind. Very strong gusts from the east. Clouding over (say it quietly, no rain)

Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

<Mod Snip off topic quote deleted>

Don’t hold back, let it all out!

Can’t argue with it. I’m flying into Palma next month, can’t wait for some decent bloody weather (fingers crossed anyway). So grim here, in more ways than one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’d much rather cycle any distance in our climate than the Spanish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭yagan

<Mod Snip - off topic post>

That's a good description of Dublin. Meanwhile elsewhere in Ireland I know Spanish people who gloat to their friends back in Spain about how pleasant the weather is here compared to the sleepless season as they call it back home. heat has its own oppression.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Warnings updated

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Carlow, Kilkenny, Laois, Offaly, Wexford, Munster, Galway

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy rain with thundery downpours on Friday and Friday night.

Potential Impacts:

• Spot flooding.

• Difficult travelling conditions.

Valid: 14:00 Friday 18/08/2023 to 03:00 Saturday 19/08/2023

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Cavan, Donegal, Monaghan, Dublin, Kildare, Longford, Louth, Meath, Westmeath, Wicklow, Leitrim, Mayo, Roscommon, Sligo

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy rain with thundery downpours on Friday and Friday night. Strong winds at times along eastern facing coasts.

Potential Impacts:

• Spot flooding.

• Difficult travelling conditions.

• Wave overtopping on eastern facing coasts.

Valid: 17:00 Friday 18/08/2023 to 06:00 Saturday 19/08/2023

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: off topic posts and quotes were deleted , please keep on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The rain coming in tonight looks bad...there is a very strange look to the cloud on the satellite like there is a very bad squall line on the back edge of the rain...im sure we will know all about it later if it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

Net weather app giving me 50-100mm of rain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Advertisement