Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Sami23

Made a small burst this evening and cut 3 acres.

Light stuff so should be easy got hopefully.

Decided to cut it as it wasn't gonna grow much in next 10 days with no rain anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Knocked 4 acres around 4 pm today and tedded it out afterwards. Light ish in spots but very green so will need the week. Had actually planned it for silage but couldn’t let the weather go when we have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

Baled the first bit of hay for a few customers this eve, lovely dry green hay. Should be another 25 acres or so fit tomorrow. A lot of lads still mowing for hay too, should be all got going by the forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Packrat

Mine is still 3 or 4 weeks away from cutting.

Very annoying because it'll undoubtedly be raining by then.

If I'm wrong and it's still dry, then the silage which was closed later won't grow and I'll be just as bad.

Can't fecking win with these bloody dry spring/summers.

I got ate without salt here a fortnight ago for saying it would be dry until at least the 10th of June.

I'm here right now at this time of night, filling half barrels for cattle after a half hour watering the vegetables earlier. 4.45 start this morning and 6 tomorrow.

God but we love the hardship.

Post edited by Packrat on

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Why were you so late closing your meadows? If the last few years have thought us anything weather wise it’s that you should be aiming for silage to be cut in early to mid May as the weather could do absolutely anything after that!

• Advertisement

Sheep here as well as cows. The hay ground was closed mid March after being grazed with in lamb ewes. Silage ground closed May 5th after they had lambed there.

Organic so slurry only. No bags.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Being organic makes it that bit more difficult alright. The only thing is generally organic meadows will save quicker so if you get any sort of a short weather window you should get the hay.

Yes I was thinking that. It's grown very well and could be cut now without disgrace, but it'd be nice to have something worthwhile out of it after the hassle.

Anyone any idea how hay works out in bales per acre compared to the same crop wrapped for silage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭emaherx

Not particularly, maybe in a sharp turn. Maybe my crops might not be as heavy though, as I've only FYM/Slurry on the silage ground. But when you say belts, have you 4 individual belts or 1 wide belt with 4 ribs on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Can't rightly remember but I think it's the wide one. Been a long time since I looked in there. I've usually only slurry on the ground too. Very little, if any bagged stuff. Seems to happen me depending on the way the grass is lying. This year I could cruise down the field at 10km/h but swing at the end to come back and the mower would be blocked after 5 yards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

"I got ate without salt"

It's been a long time since I heard that expression, "they'd ate you without salt"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭emaherx

Funny enough that's sounds like exactly the issue I had with my last mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Sounds like you've slippage someplace when it blocks on the "restart" of a turn.

Check belts if they are worn or old they may be tight when cold but stretch when in use.

Tractor pto could be slipping or underpowered. Slipping would be a more common issue on a lower hp tractor as the PTO clutch plates are lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Has anyone fields in the schemes that can't be cut until July 1st?

Have one we take hay from every year, not sure will the weather hold out that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

That's one of the reasons I don't sign up for some of those schemes. On heavy ground being able to go when you get the opportunity is key as you will have less damage to the soil. This current spell is too good to let go. We have enough calender farming at the moment, without adding another layer

Sun and wind is reducing the diesel spend on this hay

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

I know what you mean but it is what it is now.

Luckily I only bale it for a few horse's so not a major dependency on it.

Just have to hope we get a few days in July

Once a reserve of fodder is built on any farm the focus has to switch to quality fodder. Supplementing with meal or grain in the winter is a big expense that can be saved by cutting a few weeks earlier

Would most people only turn Hay every second day in this weather ?

Oh god yeah, that's what I'm at. The wind from the east and the sun, let it do the work. Few small exceptions,

one very grassy ryegrass paddock.

Some spots of the back swarths

An an odd heavy patch in a field

What's was cut on Thursday night got it's first toss on Saturday, following by Sunday and every second day. It's nearly all fit to bale tomorrow. Left up to the contractor to bale tomorrow or Thursday.

Just finished knocking another 7 acres of grass starting to go strong on grazing ground.😡 Hard to turn down the chance with the forecast being given

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭morphy87

How much a bale is hay making this year?

• Advertisement

How did the Krone 5.50 tedder fare out for ya - remember you buying 1 last year.

Are ya happy with it as I'm still on the lookout for a 2nd hand 4 rotor myself.

Post edited by Sami23 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭893bet

Backed out and got a lely instead. Gooing good. Hay with 3 turns last week. And if I had left it the middle day along 3 might have done. Would have been 4-5 wi math hay Bob.

A Lely 600 is it - what she set ya back if don't mind me asking and what age is it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭davidk1394

First bit baled here for the summer, cut last Friday and only tedded once.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We mowed about 14 acres yesterday, tedded it out today. My brother is going to mow another 11 acres at my Grandparent's place tomorrow. The crop isn't heavy but we decided to avail this spell of good weather.

Was it light that you got away with only tedding it once ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭kk.man

Mine was very green and heading out. Down for six days and turned six times..it needed every turn

Baled up today about 22 acres had over 80 bales. A mix light meadows that hadn't seen a beast this year and paddocks gone strong. Was cut last Friday and Saturday. 3 turns for most of it bar one grassy paddock which need a bit more

Very hard to let this spell go and not get good hay. This stuff will be perfect in 4-5 years time.

Hay is a really under valued feed when cattle are on silage. Helps to settle the rumen after wet grass.

There's a saying around this neck of the woods "There's Hay and there's Glas Hay" some of that stuff would be wire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Advertisement