Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I get a builder?

Options
  • 22-05-2023 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭

This will probably sound ridiculously stupid to most of you. I am looking at buying a house that needs work. I am not from the area, I don't know any builders, there are no tradesmen in my family or circle of friends.

Like do I just Google builders and ask them to come look at the house, tell them what I want? I am completely lost with this sort of thing...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭FJMC

It could be as simple as google search but perhaps a bit hit and miss.

It may be a starting point to give you names, etc. to consider further.

Could speak to local architect, engineer, surveyor, etc. - you might their help any way.

Any neighbours who have had work done - might be able to recommend someone.

Important thing is to check examples of work, speak to previous clients, etc.

Various articles and guidance online which may be worth reading a few of.

F

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I can recommend builders if you are based in Dublin. Also I can recommend a builder who could do the inspection of the house when you view the house. He does this.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Be extremely careful with google reviews. I am not local to my area and fell foul of a builder. I have since met numerous people who have posted reviews of their experiences, myself included only to see the reviews removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Wow, that's really helpful, thanks. The house is on view again tomorrow (I'm out of the country) so will ring estate agent Monday to see what's happening. I may as PM you yet!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Scoopsire

If you could pass along the builders details that would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement