Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheel Upgrade Options

Options
  • 23-05-2023 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭

Morning folks. A common theme with bicycles is that the best upgrade you can make is a new set of wheels.

With that in mind, I've come to ask the great collective consciousness for advice and suggestions.

I currently have stock SX-2 wheels on my Giant Revolt. I'm looking for something that might be considered stiffer/better/lighter or whatever else new wheel might be.

I've no real idea where to start, and I've no real idea what it might cost me. Off the top of my head I suppose I'd pay 300-400 euro. I've no idea if that will even buy me an upgrade over stock.

I do know that I don't want to spend ½ or ¾ of the price of the bike on wheels, so if I'm on a hiding to nothing here, please feel free to let me know

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I bought a set of Scribe "Pace" wheels which I love, particularly the noise from the rear hub. There was a noticable improvement over the mavic ksyrium wheels that I already had - felt like great value and I see they are slightly cheaper now @ €385 (were €410 when I bought mine two years ago).

https://scribecycling.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Post edited by mr spuckler on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the revolt is a gravel bike, IIRC. bear in mind what the max tyre size recommended is for wheels; zondas are grand and tough, but intended for road mainly i would have assumed; and it seems the recommended range of tyre size is 25-28mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Yep, gravel bike. Should probably have said that I'm running 40's at the moment, and wouldn't want a set of road wheels on the bike

Scribe wheels, as mentioned in my earlier post, also do gravel versions for €300 which fit 35-52c tyres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

For your type of cycling I'd want something

1. Robust to take a battering; strong not shallow rim, high spoke count, conservative lacing pattern.

2. Durable easy to source bearings

3. Ditto for freehub.

4. Cheap j bend spokes.

5. No internal nipples or any other stupid sh1t

Aesthetics, 100g.here or there, freehub noise is all gimmicky horsesh1t 😀

Yep, had a look at the website when I saw your post, and spotted those wheels. They're the right price point, and they'd make a weight saving of 500g over the stock wheels. Would they be "better" wheels than stock, or can I just assume that they'll be better because they're coming from a wheel manufacturer, rather than stock wheels from a big company

Edited to add a link to the wheels in question

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There’s also the Hunt 4 seasons Gravel, no idea what the quality difference is between Scribe and Hunt

https://eu.huntbikewheels.com/products/hunt-4-season-gravel-x-wide-wheelset

I can only really comment on the road wheels I got but they definitley felt like an improvement over the wheels that came with the bike, even though they were a brand name.

Plus, they are based in Northern Ireland.

Not sure if there is much of a difference except, apparently the Scribe freehubs are a little bit louder

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info so far, folks. I'm leaning towards the Scribe wheels, but if anyone has any other info, please pop it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Hope 20five with an RS4 hub.

Tough, excellent hub that is incredibly smooth and just a gentle tip, tip, tip from the freehub (buy the pro4 hub version for a horde of angry wasps), coupled to very tough rims. Hope are a quality brand and you can get spares all over Europe in any bike shop. Can switch between end caps for different bikes in 30 second.

I run them on my road bike all year around with anything from 28 to 32s.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Now, the first version of these were rather excellent by all accounts, but they're a great price. These not as good. Same as with the randoneurs

I’ve those v2 barodeurs, they’re grand, decent replacement over most stock wheels, especially for the price. But they’re only 19mm internal width so probably not ideal for cletus if he wants to run 40mm+, I’m running 32mm Gravelking Slick tubeless on ‘em and they balloon a little bit.

Wouldn’t be an issue technically since you can run mtb tyres on 19mm, just doesn’t look great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Wheels are the best upgrade but the wrong tyres will kill any wheel set and I usually consider them as a pair.

What tyres do you have in mind ? Particularly on a gravel bike the question of how slick or knobbly you want to go.

On my revolt i went from one extreme to the other. Used the Giant P-X2 wheelset and Maxxis Rambler 45mm tyres it shipped with over the winter and the above configuration for the summer. Gives me 2 completely different bikes

The Barodeurs are certainly tempting from a price point of view. What were the issues being reported @Weepsie

I'm already running Gravelking SK's, and I'm very happy with them. Will probably continue to run them

They’re a bit heavier than the v1s, 150g or so, and they’ve a slightly lower weight limit at 110kg.

Although looking at the images of the V2s on wiggle outside of the bundle, they seem to have v2 actually printed on them and mine don’t do maybe I have the v1….

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

As above. The earlier versions of some of their wheels were generally good and came in lighter than advertised. I've some v1 randoneurs hanging about the place somewhere not being used

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭gmacww

I have a set of barodeurs v2 new from CRC. You get what you pay for. They were 218 for the tubeless bundle.

The build quality on them is shocking. I bought in March. Out of the box they were way off true. Raised with CRC and apparently it “wasn’t too bad actually”. First spin and plenty of pings as spokes set then rubbing. Rear was a mile off. I trued it myself but every spin it would go off again. Now whatever about CRC getting arsey with me I would steer well clear of prime wheels. As I said earlier you get what you pay for. That said I have gotten €120 shimano and fulcrum wheels that did the brands proud used and abused as commuter wheels. Whatever about older models the V2’s are woeful quality and I wouldn’t touch them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭vintcerf

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭philten

I recently replaced the giant px2 wheels on a new revolt with a set of scribe carbon gravelwide and I am v happy with build quality, value for money. Fact that they are based in n Ireland was appealing too.

The hub is noisy tho...I got more grease added to quieten them a bit 🫨

I do have have a set of alloy hunt gravel wheels and are good too, although the bearings they use are not good so you would want to keep an eye on them or replace with something better.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭benneca1

Why not build up a set you wont look back. Personally I love DT SWISS hubs depending on your weight choose spoke count for gravel Id go high Then match with rim of choice obviously wide for gravel. You will have a set of wheels for life. On my audac bike I have DT swiss 240 s 32 spoke and running them since 2016 all easily servicable and only had to swap out freehub when went 12 speed

Another poster here contacted me to suggest the same thing. I'm going to drop over to Lukasz in Apex Cycles and see what my budget gets me

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭DJB030244

I’ve a set of hunt gravel wheels with cassette and rotors I could sell. They are low miles and can include cassette tyres rotors etc . Funny enough also used on a giant revolt .

I also have a set of nearly new Fulcrum 5 with gravel king tyres ultegra cassette and rotors

id be happy to let one set go

If you want to pm me with prices and location, we can have a chat.

Is it the Fulcrum Rapid Red 5 wheeler you have?

So, to round out this thread, I dropped into Lukasz in Apex Cycles this evening.

He can build a set of wheels with DT Swiss hubs and rims for...more than my budget.

I have decided to add some money to my budget and get him to build up a set for me 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

What wheels are they Harringtonp?

I can see the scribe logo but not the model.

Also have a revolt and considering a second set of wheels for same reason, looking to be able to switch between gravel and Road wheels.

Currently looking at the Prime primavera, they were heavily reduced the last few days but less so now, assuming they drop again I might go for them, I'm interested in their use of fairly accessible parts and spares and servicing should be easy, they are advertised at under 1500gm but most reviews online say they are heavier.

Also looking at a discontinued scribe wheel on their site, more expensive than the prime and heavier at nearly 1700gm but they are rated as able to take more weight so are perhaps a stronger wheel, and I guess if warranty issues arose it might be better, I gather wiggle etc have gone to the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

How’s much were the Prime Primaveras reduced to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

599€ the last few days for 44 disc, less reduction on the 56.

They seem to still be reduced to those levels if you select sterling, but reduction is less in euro.

I'm assuming it'll yo yo up and down over next while, if the website stays open

Advertisement