Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spray for Thistles

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Sami23

I would imagine so yes as they are gone to seed now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

The amount of seed eating birds that are killed after weed killers have been applied to docks and thistles is shocking. So there are a few thistles or docks in your fields, do you have to obliterate everything with weed killer?!?! This is the sort of Stone Age **** that gives farmers a bad name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Tileman

Not if they had being cut earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Thanks for replies,thistles on rocky ground that can’t be topped.

Never saw such a good year for them to grow!……anyone else notice that?

Man that sprays for me reckoned it was too hot in the good spell to spray and then we had a brutal wet July so time window might be gone by for this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭anthony500_1

I'm the same here, more rocks then grass, a topper wouldn't last the length of time it would take to turn it on. 😂😂😂

Ive a bumper crop of thistles this year. My best yet.........I sprayed mine in early June but I see a second crop of them coming again now. Like you I'd be thinking if I got a good August I'd spray them again but mine would not be gone to seed yet...,.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭peterofthebr

I've a 3acre field. Spent all day yesterday trying to pull ragwort (only 1/4 of field done), back breaking work, some too hard to pull(managed to break ragworg puller tool too) .. and it's covered in thistles - very strong.high.

So today I've closed off the field now and gona try agritox 500, will use, knapsack day before agritox 500 on tractor..

Post edited by peterofthebr on

No point in spraying ragworth this time of year that has gone stemmy. It will not kill it. You can top it but you will need to keep cattle out for 6 weeks.

When they come back you may be able to spray if you can get 90%+ at the right stage. Another option if you cut them with a disc mower us get them.raked and use a dung fork to put them in heaps and burn them

Reseeding ( spraying off ground with roundup) Is an option but put no clover in as you will probaly need spray next year as well. Hurlers is supposed to be good but you need them at the rosette stage.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You should still kill them now but won't stop the spread of this years seed.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Not If they are gone stemmy, it only recommended for use in spring at rosette stage before flowering.

The added risk is it will make the weed palatable to stock

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭peterofthebr

Thanks for replys I had done the ragwort with knapsack apart from the several I missed(i now see, we'll turned town those sprayed) . But rain came and last hour of knapsack was non effective it looks .. But sprayed and I can see buttercups and some spear thistle not looking so well today. Will see about topping and picking ragwort (easier then pulling) and maybe buring and hopefully next spring some(or allot) forefront t (as its rainfast quick),..

Officially, last week I declared war on ragwort, thisles and buttercups.

Advertisement