Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N20 - Charleville Relief Road [planning to commence 2023]

Options
  • 23-05-2023 12:12pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭

An interesting one. I said it's not the M20 so it probably deserves its own thread given it's being funded for initial planning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I said at the time of the last N/M20 route publication that a relief road would also be needed on the eastern side of Charleville. Good that it is being looked at separately as the N/M20 won't happen any time soon.

It will be interesting to see what the scope is. Really, for it to reduce traffic and HGVs on the main street, it would have to stretch from the Charleville Park Hotel, through the entry to the Kerry factory and to the N20 on the southern side of the town, possibly incorporating the road beside the Primary Care Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It will be interesting this. Perhaps it'll speed through as it'll be a "Ryan Approved" short town bypass. I think you're spot on with the scope of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Looks like an opportunity to open development around Railway Road and Ballysally business park too if they can.

Would potentially be great for the town.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I strongly suspect that something like this would be in the works as part of the M20 plan anyway. TII have never been so quick to allow a project to commence planning & design.

You can see in the N24 Cahir-Limerick Junction that minor interventions in bypassed towns are being included also if they help to reduce further traffic flow in the town, thereby reducing overall traffic in the town centre which means they can be pedestrianised/made more people friendly. Given that there'll be limited access to the M20 at Charleville (it's not going to be like Cashel or Mitchelstown with multiple junctions to serve the town itself), it makes sense that heavy vehicles trying to access the industry in the town can access it without going up and down Main Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I'd say there is zero chance of widening Bakers Road given the schools and sports facilities located along it.

I was thinking that making Main Street and Baker Street one way in opposite directions would be a good idea. If both had a single traffic lane, there would be space for wider paths and cycle lanes on both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Limerick74

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Baldilocks

This is depressing!! - what half-wit believes that the fix for traffic on that road is to put in traffic calming measures (speed bumps, etc.) and at some point in the future route traffic down a road that passes a school and a GAA club???

the outcome here will be increased time to get through the town, leading to increased frustration for both people (local) trying to get about their business in the town, and increased frustration for those trying to get through the town!

Get a bypass sorted ASAP, and, (ideally) accelerate the M20

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Limerick74

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Baldilocks

getting the traffic out of Charleville is badly needed - no doubt about it. And I certainly welcome any improvement, But the pathetic progress wrt the M20 is depressing tbh.

Bumper tax takes for the past few years and we (the population) still have the joy of this goat-track....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Lads, the M20 hasn't even reached ABP. That's not down to the Greens. Thanks to changes in EU law, the whole design process had to start from scratch. That's down to Leo Varadker scrapping the original project during the planning stage.

Yes, it's glacially slow, but that's the same with the planning of every road project in the country. It's not a Green issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement