Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenway/trail cycling routes in Dublin?

Options
  • 23-05-2023 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭

I'm on the hunt for some recommendations in or around Dublin

I've a longish term plan to buy an E-bike in the next few years. I'll probably get something like an entry level E-MTB

My primary use would be cycling into Dublin on the days I go to the office, but I'd also like to do some recreational cycling

However, I really have no interest in road biking. Hugging the shoulder while cars and trucks blast by me isn't my idea of fun

So ideally I'd like to do some cycling on trails or greenways. Might even graduate to some actual mountain biking in future

Lightly trafficked roads are also an option, since beggars can't be choosers

Looking around, I've found a few options but would like to know if any others are recommended:

Royal Canal way

Phoenix Park (roads, but not much traffic)

Sutton to Clontarf boardwalk

Baldoyle to Portmarnock walkway

Coast road from Balbriggan to Skerries seems nice, could go into Ardgillan as well but not sure about cycling there with so many pedestrians

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭TheProudHighway

The Dodder Greenway. Not sure how far you can go on it as it’s a work in progress but I regularly park somewhere in Firhouse and cycle up to the Bohernabreena reservoir where it starts, do a lap or two of the reservoir and then go down the greenway as far as Templeogue. You may be able to go further I’m not sure but it’s a lovely spin as it is anyway.

https://www.sdcc.ie/en/services/transport/active-travel/dodder-greenway-route/

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

It's still very disjointed. On the Royal Canal way for instance u are forced onto roads at Castleknock (going west) at the Deep Sinking section and resume again near Clonsilla/Coolmine. I start from the Phoenix Park and am forced to skip beyond Blanch. Alternatively I start in Tolka Park and connect at Broombridge. U can use Saint Catherines Park around the Leixslip area but again u are always compelled to use patches of some very busy roads. The same applies to the Dodder (entering at Aviva) heading towards Dartry and beyond. Fairview to Sutton is continuous. Given the snails pace of development it could be a decade or more before there is total segregation on the Dodder and Tolka let alone elsewhere. The south city coast is even worse. I started out of curiosity in Bray a few days back only to be totally blocked by some damned golf course which seems to have hogged the coastline in Shankhill. Beyond that Shanganagh Park was good only for the Killiney Hill topography to scupper the rest. There's a tiny stretch from the Forty Foot to Dun Leary but generally the south coast is a mess and a waste of time. There's a great stretch from Ballyfermot on the Grand Canal thru Clondalkin and onto Lucan but it dies at the county border. Best for u to take the commuter train to Maynooth. From there u can follow the Royal canal west as far as u like in splendid isolation. Yesterday I went to Enfield and then back to Maynooth (returning by train to the city as the battery was low). I suspect I can use the same trick on the Grand Canal to get beyond the city limits and the road traffic nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Get up off the couch and buy the e-bike this weekend before the winter comes , you won’t be long getting the courage to venture farther afield, buy a non suspension hybrid bike ( flat bar road bike style) .

booters town to sandycove via dun laoighaire is brilliant 2 way separated cycle way.

go on do it today with whatever bike is in stock.

Advertisement