Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CROKE Park are set to clamp down and bring sanctions against those involved in providing any form of

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭ebbsy

It always takes court cases and payouts to make people wake up.

I wonder how much that couple got. Costs would have been big.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Same as. Sorry now I didn't stick with it and as they say, show em. But it was a confidence killer at a young age.

What's the difference in the coaching?

Can be down to the individual involved. I'm seeing a big difference between U6 football and hurling in my club. One is trying to do things the right new way, the other is treating training like a minor training session. Obviously no bollocking but still, very serious training session.

Yeah we had similar in national school years ago. It actually meant more than winning the county championship at whatever level and region we were in.

Whole parish watched those matches, you knew the other players which meant you didn't want to lose to them.

But the ones not getting to play because of there being a lot of subs etc, yeah that needs to be cut out. So I can see the need to remove competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

It’s probably the approach of the individual coaches involved. But the four or so coaches in gaa there’s no craic at all in them - it’s all very serious. Soccer started with teenagers coaching and now it’s a parent and it’s just more relaxed and fun. Son seems to enjoy both but having seen a young 5 year old fellow get a fairly serious injustice at hurling blitz last weekend I’m having doubts about it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

So how do sports like Swimming , athletics, canoeing etc approach sport at a young age, do they just pretend the person who crossed the line first didn't actually cross the line first and tell everyone to completely forget what they just saw lest someone be traumatized by there being a winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

None of those sports involve leaving less talented players on sidelines at the age of ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Coached for years, Soccer. My 2 cents.

The best player's get poached away from teams by the 'elite' team in most local league's. Players and parents get head turned by Johnny winning an u11 league thinking it will be the making of him.

Take away competition and the focus will be on the development of the player. Parents will then be looking at who the best coach is rather then who will win the league.

Have development squads where top coaches identify players with talent and give them extra sessions against peers at the same level.

Players and parents who wish to make these development squads will ensure they are learning the basic fundamentals right. So regardless of the league position a coach can identify which player's have potential. Think Kennedy Cup.

Big Billy who scores 5 from the halfway line with a toe peg and wins the league for xx team won't make it because he cant pass or control the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Does anyone know where it’s possible to read the text of the story without having to subscribe…..?

I think Paul kimmage ran a story about this a few months ago….?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I swam competitively as well. But in many races/events it can as much be about a swimmer aiming for PBs/a time to qualify for a higher grade etc. That isnt the case with team sports. its quite different.

This change will not see a reduction in competitiveness. It will not see competitivness not developed within players. Many of the top pro rugby players will never have played in competitive rugby leagues or cups until they were playing at under 13 so were 12 years old.

Different captains wont make a difference ultimately for competiveness especially at younger ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Im located in Offaly and just a few weeks ago there was a proper old school cup final played for u9 soccer.

I seen young lads devastated as they didn't make the match day squad for the u9s, while the u10 cup final was settled by a penalty shoot out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Some people, who think they know more than leading psychologists, would tell you that is good for them because they have to learn to deal with disappointment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

Our county (Wicklow) has always had full leagues and competitions starting at U11. Great craic they are too, especially on final day. All the kids get to play in a final, cup, shield, plate and trophy in their division. I do feel sorry for the losing teams but thats life, and we have been on many a losing side. Its a great life lesson to stand up and applaud the winning team. The problems happen when some coaches take it a bit seriously and give little game time to the weaker players.

Advertisement