Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2023 - Round 7 : Monaco

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Perez only has himself to blame. No pressure and he smashes the wall.

Max chasing a pole position that he didn't really need (I know you want them all, and he had never previously had a pole at Monaco) and he holds it together with a phenomenal final sector.

There is a massive difference between these drivers, Sergio normally better on the streets they say, but Max is streets ahead.

You certainly can't yawn at that quali session, it was the most exciting this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I don't think Pérez could realistically challenge Max over a season anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Second row start for Ocon. Would like to see him on the podium tomorrow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Well said. And yep, the most exciting quali so far and thankfully no flags to screw it up. Ocon snatches provisional pole from Max, then Leclerc, then Alonso and back to Max. Brilliant stuff.

Ocon surely starting from P3 - I can’t see Leclerc escaping a penalty for blocking Norris. Slowing down in the tunnel is a big no no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I really don't like Verstappen. I was shouting for Alonso to get pole, but the final part of Mac's lap was perfection.

Maybe he'll get bad wheelspin at the start tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

3 place grid pen for LEC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

What a lovely guy Esteban Ocon is. When Sky interviewed him and asked about him about getting 3rd place if Lec got a penalty he said he didnt want to wish bad luck on anyone or words to that affect.

Hopefully Alonso will monster Verstappen into the first corner tomorrow...can't wait for the race to start :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Officially still Round 7. Imola may have been called off, but it's not been removed from the official FIA calendar (unlike China '23, Russia '22, and Oz '20 which was never shown on the rewritten calendar)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

That qualifying was more entertaining than most races. I was really hoping Alonso would clinch it, but I knew Max would pull it out of the bag.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Phenomenal lap from Max, what an incredible driver!

I really wanted Alonso to get pole but when Max is on form he is simply unbeatable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

While it was an exciting lap from Max, you have to feel Alonso was the one who lost P1, not that Max won it. Alonso was the joint slowest in S3 of the ten.

It would be great to see Alonso win tomorrow as I feel it's his best chance to get a win this season.

It'll be interesting to see if Ocon holds up everyone behind in the early stages to let the front two get away, not that it will matter too much as there is certain to be a SC that will bunch them all back up. It'll also be interesting to see what Perez can do from the back.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

What a qualifying session that was! This is why Monaco is such a valued part of the calendar, I’ll take the purity of that competition over any amount of DRS flybys on some modern parking lot track.

We had the three best drivers in the world in completely different cars put it all on the line with some absolutely stunning laps, to be differentiated by just a tenth of a second in the end. Honourable mention for Ocon too with a superb performance to slot in just behind them.

That last sector from Max was millimetre perfect. A fraction more and he’d be fully in the wall and out of qualy, a fraction less and he wouldn’t have made up the time he needed to get pole.

He put in arguably the best two sectors I’d ever seen at Saudi a couple of years ago and now he has a third sector to match them. What a privilege to watch, and the guys just behind him were almost as close to the edge. It’s a shame about Leclerc’s penalty but it was pretty clear cut so can’t really argue with it.

There was much unpredictability and excitement all the way down the field too, it’s incredible how tightly matched the grid is under the current regulations.

I know people will be complaining about the lack of overtaking tomorrow but I reckon we’ll be in for an intriguing tactical battle, as we saw last year too, and as we’ve seen time and again it’s a track that severely punishes the slightest of errors so that alone makes it an enthralling watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Verstappen is just a different beast to the rest of the grid, that third sector was like Saudi 21 on the absolute limit and driving that car to perfection. Hopefully Alonso gets Verstappen into sainted devote and makes that aston as wide as he can

Fernando and Max collide on lap one and Ocon wins. That would be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

We never did discuss how the CEO pretty much threw a tantrum and called his own team amateurs on television did we?

Other CEOs like Wolff, Vigna (or Elkmann) and Brown just quietly fire and reshuffle and present an optimistic front to the media.

Not sure what it is about Alpine but I don’t like that team at all. Otmar comes across as an awful dick too, didn’t like the way he publicly shat on Piastri last year when it was his team who dropped the ball there. Yesterday in a post quali interview with Sky he said he was hoping for the harshest punishment for Leclerc so it would also bump Gasly up the grid. One thing to think that, but to say it aloud on tv, at Leclerc’s home race. Twat. I hope they finish way down the championship.

Anyway, this is very cool - comparison between Max and Alonso’ final Q3 laps. Rascasse was where he won pole, taking a tighter line through those two corners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Looks like the rain will come in too late to have an impact on the race today. Was really hoping Max would miss out on pole to make things interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Rain is actually a possibility for today's race.

F2 was redflagged for damaging the safety barrier, marshall repaired that in 15 minutes. Kudos to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Just saw the clip of an f2/f3 driver nearly hitting a marshal on track, so close.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/narenharwani7/status/1662746746085347330?t=YFCNFJB2aeweR8ougKgd7w&s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭rameire

That was horribly close.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Were there no flags out or how did that happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So an evening race this evening ye. I know loads of you here love that.

OK not really but if you watch it on Channel 4 it is and let's be honest live it will probably be a procession and very dull. So your probably better off watching the highlights anyway especially with a day like that out today with the sun splitting the Sky.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Loads of yellow flags, looked to be quite fast, some reaction speed to avoid a hit in the end. That is scary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Longing

Cringe from Orlando Bloom trying to flog that Gran Turismo film.

Did some Red Bull guy get annoyed with Martin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

does my head in, all the celebs who do not care at all are getting all the best access, (dont mind the ones who care) give it to the volunteers and stewards at other races who do so much, and now they are flogging there new films and stuff.

Best thing about covid was most of these bottom feeders had nothing to sell us so they disappeared under whatever rock they live under

Love Brundles gridwalks, but he missed out on Adrian Newey and Eddie Jordan to speak to Thiabot Courtois and call him Spanish lol.

• Advertisement

Yeah, thankfully Martin just ignored him and spoke to his boss anyway.

I would love to watch the race on one of those yachts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Max didn't get the memo to hide the drugs UNDER the shirt.

Ah surely you’d much prefer to watch it on Sky Q or Sky Glass no? 😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Alonso on hard? Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Gone cloudy there now. Rain a possibility?

Spicy tyre choices

Come on alonso in the first corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

Just tuned in, any talk or update on the potential rain? Chaos on the pits is probably needed to spice this up

Sky Q and sky glass and onboard shilling from crofty. Anyone tried that drinking game ?

Hulkenberg torpedo.

into the pits for Hard tyres onto Perez to the end.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Stroll looks like a guy who won a competition to drive out there.

Russell will likely get a penalty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

You would think Russell is a bit fortunate, that normally is a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

What dictates the total number of laps for a race? Is it to meet a set total race distance of a circuit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Perez trying to take that hard tyre to the end and nobody is covering him off.

• Advertisement

Sainz, that was stupid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement