Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2023 - Round 7 : Monaco

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

CHAOS

Worst track ever for no grip, no margin for error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Stroll on Inters and he decides to get rid of his front wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Stroll playing bumper cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Stroll has some lowlights reel from today

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Stroll looks like someone who won a competition to drive an Aston Martin for a day.

Terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Stroll hitting barriers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

What’s K Mag at?

Full wets for Kmag.

Alonsos gamble also giving max a free stop should they need full wets or it dries (unlikely) for slicks

• Advertisement

Perez on full wets too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

So much happening!

I can barely keep up with all this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Absolute carnage. Can see a safety car or red flag soon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

5 sec for Russell is very soft. That's lethal

• Advertisement

Yeah it’s great! I hope AMKC is enjoying the sun, he’s missing a cracking race! 😂😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Ridiculous by Russell. Shocking driving.

Monco is always boring.......

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

Stop the race, it's too dangerous for Lewis!

Struggling to keep up with all this drama

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Max still going full send like a mad man!

C4 are going to have to show extended highlights.

They'd fill the normal slot with just Stroll today.

• Advertisement

Bit of strategy talk from Russell.

lol at Yuki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Hang on for third Ocon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Starting to dry a bit, wonder will see anyone try dry tires for the last few laps

Way too risky and the inters will still be well good enough even on a drying track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

So bad for ferrari pitting Sainz so early on the hard tyres!! How do they fúck up strategy time and time again?

Checo 2 laps down to Verstappen, a bit of an embarrassment

To be fair he’s been a guinea pig today in terms of pit stops. But for sure he was lapped once genuinely. Max a level above everyone today so far, fingers crossed. 😁

For anyone outside the top 10, Bottas perhaps, might consider it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Ocon had a fluff in his stop so Ferrari tried to take advantage.

• Advertisement

Merc must be getting closer to Aston Martin in the championship after this race maybe? Stroll really is being shown up this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Well done Ocon.

Yeah, Aston with a superior package but will ultimately finish behind merc cause Stroll is pretty average. Even a bottas in that car would go very well.

Saves mercs blushes though, not being beaten by a customer team.

Wouldn’t surprise me if some folks still give out and call it a boring race.

Brilliant qualifying yesterday, great race today - Monaco delivered this year for a change. Delighted for Max, too good again today in all conditions. Great drive from Ocon too tbf, shame for Sainz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

my link went on lap 78...

Just a pity about the extra stop for Alonso but otherwise race was pretty good with a mix of medium and hard running at the front, most did well to keep going, only 2 retirements

Just saw the points tables, Merc are 1 point behind Aston Martin now. Daddy Stroll should be giving baby Stroll a bollocking.

He'll probably put it on the strategist who put Alonso on drys. Bernie (Collins) come back, all is forgiven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Decent race. I had to leave tv with about 3 laps to go, did we get any real explanation as to what Aston were up to with that decision to box for slicks?

Stroll and Perez were well poor today too.

There is an inevitability around Max now. Even today he was on medium tyres but somehow can get them to last as long as (or longer than) the hards. What's the earliest the championship has been decided by?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Aston thought the rain wasn’t going to be as heavy or spread over all the track. I think Ferrari did the same? Can’t remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

In a strange way, it was the right call at the time! Didn’t Apline pit Ocon just a lap before for Mids too?? Just 45 seconds later it wasn’t the case anymore! Cost him nothing tho, had he pitted for inters I still think Max would have got the overcut done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Just watched the highlights on Ch4. Interesting last 20 or so laps but never again will I listen to Alex Jacques (I think he's the lead commentator?)... I'd rather not watch at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Wouldn’t surprise me if some folks still give out and call it a boring race.

Brilliant qualifying yesterday

It was a boring race and a boring quali on Saturday.

Nothing much happened up front. I have not even finished watching the highlights yet and I have a fair idea that Max will finish first ALONSO in 2nd and Ocon in 3rd and I have not watched any sports news today or listened to any radio or seen anything about it on the net.

Maybe I just do not care as much this weekend because I have a cold or a flu. Have felt better so ye I watched it but it was not great.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Lol Alonso

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Another master class from Max.

A great drive from Alonso and Ocon too. I would love to have seen Alonso win this. He may yet win a race this year.

Post edited by 2011 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Managed to see the race on replay last night - so a but late to the party on this.

Alonso's pitstop was bonkers for me. At the start of the race the strategy seemed to be twofold -

• Get max off the line and keep him behind, or
    • Keep the hard tyres on as long as possible, hope Max has to change his tyres, and the rain gives you a free pitstop.

Now, fair enough, Max did a monster stint on the mediums. AM probably didn't see that coming. But anyone could have seen that the new Mediums were the wrong call. The rain was falling at that stage.

Max's inlap was really slow. Had Alonso put on the inters, he would have had the pace in theory to have been ahead of Max (but we'll never really know because he may have had traffic on slicks to contend with).

P2 is obviously a great result - one AM would have taken in a heartbeat at the start of the weekend. But surely it's hard for their strategy department not to see it as a win lost rather than P2 gained.

If Ferrari did it, we would be absolutely crucifying them over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

If Ferrari did it, we would be absolutely crucifying them over it.

Yes it was a crazy strategy and one that surely lost Alonso the win.

The difference between Ferrari and Aston Martin is that Ferrari have been around longer and are the bigger team with more resources yet they continually mess it up. It is easy to say Aston Martin should have done this or that in hindsight but in the heat of the race its a lot different. I am sure they will learn from it unlike Ferrari and will not mess up the next time a great opportunity like that comes along. Singapore maybe?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Even Alonso said had they pitted for inters, it wouldn't have been enough. It wasn't a great call in hindsight and yes, the comparisons to Ferrari are there. However, it was a net neutral decision anyway, he was never going to beat Max unfortunately.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement