Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Grips

Options
  • 24-05-2023 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Look for advice/peoples experience here...

My grips are long over due a refresh and like everything the price has gone up alot since I last got grips changed. Happy enough to do them myself to save a few euros but have a few questions.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions on best place to buy online - Clubhousegolf and Adore golf seam to be the best prices/selection (not sure about Brexit effect)

The second question is what to go for?

Have golf Pride Tour Velvet in Irons and Wedges and Golf Pride MCC on woods. Preference is to go for the MCC all round but they are nearly twice the price,

Size is the other thing - Current set is standard size - I'm 6ft, Wear a M/L glove that is usually a nice tight fit and am 8 1/2in from crease of wrist to tip of index. Golf Pride would suggest a Mid size for me.

Golf Pride do a Plus 4 grip with the feel of extra thickness under the lower hand, anyone used these?

If I go up to a midsize would adding the plus 4 be a bad idea?

Wont get near a shop for a few weeks so cant pop in to suss out.

In Summary:

Are MCC worth the uplift over Velvet

Which Size - Standard/Standard plus4/Midsize/Midsize plus 4...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Have MCC plus 4 with an extra layer of tape under all mine.

I have the irons 5 years and honestly they do not need to be changed yet, always found Tour Velvet wore quicker and gave me friction burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭kod12

I used to play midsize with 2 wraps am 6'6. I have changed to MCC+4 standard size with 2 wraps and find it much easier to turn over the club and release now.

I had the same problem regarding cost of the MCC+4 grips so I bought them on adverts and replaced the grips myself. I got a kit from amazon worked great and some pre cut tape

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

There's a lot of fake grips out there, be very wary of buying multicompound grips in particular, if they are for sale for €7 or €8 they are definitely fake

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

Had a quick search on adverts and thought as much when I saw the price. You can get them for €3/4 from china on ali express so questionable provenance

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭kod12

Where is reliable to get the real grips from. I saw the videos on how to spot the fake ones and these feel and seem legit with the correct packaging too but if there is reliable place online to get genuine ones be nice to know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

You might as well go to your local pro, there's really not a whole lot to be saved buying them online from Gamola or Adore grips which would be very reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Do you ever wash your grips? I find scrubbing them with a club cleaning brush (I use the metal brush) and some warm water with a drop of washing up liquid - can make a big difference to the grips and their tackiness, scrub them then rince off. You'd be surprised the oils and dirt etc. that they pick up. Might be worth a try as an interim solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

Cheers, usually give them a scrub a few times a year. When you say Metal brush what do you mean? have a small one I use for grooves but think that would destroy the grips.

Have dropped my 3 wood into to local pro to fit a midsize to test out. Will see how it feels over a few rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

I use the metal bristle side on those two sided groove cleaning brushes, never had any issues with it damaging the grips personally! Maybe that's where I am going wrong ;). What I will say is I know someone who changed to thicker grips on his clubs without trying one out or checking the fitting guidlelines etc, just did it on a whim and they didn't suit, so you are doing the coirrect thing testing one club first.

Advertisement