Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swords express bus

Options
  • 24-05-2023 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

anybody use the swords express bus for commuting from the city centre to swords every day for work?

is it reliable timewise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,386 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I've used it, but I don't regularly commute

They do seem to run fairly close to on time, they were really unreliable a few years back but seem to have improved

The buses are much nicer than Dublin Bus generally and you tend not to get any drunks starting fights in my experience

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I used it until recently and it was generally spot on time wise, especially the 500x in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 11,386 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It's also generally quicker than the 41 since it goes through the tunnel. If I'm waiting for a bus and both a 41 and Swords Express roll up then I'll take the Swords Express

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

do you have to book in advance if you are getting the bus or is it fairly busy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭The Davestator

You cant book. Depending on where you are getting on, it may be full at peak times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Stopped using it 90% of the time after the 90 minute fare came in - as for your question, is it reliable timewise? No, I've rarely seen them come at the expected time & sometimes not at all. Depends where you are getting it tho - if you are lucky enough to be at the terminus in Swords Manor, Highfield, Millers Glen or the Main St, it will come dead on time. There are huge delays from the Manor to the village due to traffic & by the time it gets to the village its 10m late, and often more. To top it off, if you are trying to get the handful that go in the morning from the Pavillions along the Dublin Rd they frequently don't turn up, or take the wrong turn & skip the stops at Carlton Court & Pinnock Hill, leaving you stranded. Depending where you live, the 41x is more reliable for commuting and far less likely to be full by the time it gets to you. In my case its a 10m walk but its only a 40c surcharge on the default 2 euro and then I transfer to the DART for free. Its overpriced for what it is.

I used to see a large group of people queuing for it at Holywell but they also have the 142 and 41X in the morning. Coming home to Holywell however, if you can actually get on one you're home in about 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

OP is travelling FROM the city centre to work in swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

In that case they are probably ok travelling into work, but might find it difficult to get a seat on the way home.

Advertisement