Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mould in wardrobe

Options
  • 25-05-2023 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've issue with mould going onto clothes in a wardrobe in rental appt

The room has two windows and a vent so there is enough ventilation there imo , I'm not sure what else I can do for ventilation.

On the wall is a basic heat , find attached

I was thinking of upgrading (not sure to what) to ensure the room is heating properly

Is there a chance the wardrobe is old and is moisture is getting circulated that way?

Or is there anything else I can do ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Hire a dehumidifier, lash it on for a few days, get all the damp out of the room, you'll be amazed the difference this will make to your place.

I did it to a neighbour's place and they got many litres of water out of the house. It's a different building now.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

There is an dehumidifier in the place , that is been used but don't know how often

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Is there mold in the room as well as the wardrobe?

If its just the wardrobe are you drying the clothes fully before putting them in the wardrobe?

There could also be a leak behind the wardrobe, is there any signs of water damage to the wardrobe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

All it takes is one item of clothing in the wardrobe not dried properly and you are in for a prolonged mold battle.

Buy a dehumidifier and leave it on for a few days forst. After that put it on for a couple of hours every day. Your mold problem should go away after that. And make sure you dry your clothes fully before putting them away. There is a reason your granny used to air clothes :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭blackbox

Is it a built in wardrobe?

If so, the wall at the back of it could be colder than the rest of the room, thus attracting condensation.

If this is the case, better insulation is the long term solution, but keeping the wardrobe doors open to allow it to ventilate with the rest of the room will definitely help.

It is build in but behind it is the water tank so heats up behind it , no leaks from tank

Never had this issue before

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

While its certainly not guaranteed there is every chance that the mould build-up is from a basic lack of ventilation and appropriate heating. There are windows there but are they being opened? There's a heater there but is it being used and used properly? There's a wall vent there but is it working? I have found that most people in apartments use these wall heaters for drying clothes which is one of the worse things that can be done.

Being the landlord leaves you at a disadvantage as you really have no way of knowing whats going on there on a day to day basis.

I'm trying to give them the benefit of doubt that they are doing all they can and trying everything I can do to help with problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement