Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wisteria wall trellis

Options
  • 25-05-2023 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking to attach a trellis made of wire for my Wisteria. I was wondering if someone has advice for me in respect to how many wires do I need.

At the moment I was thinking about the below which would consist of 4 wires (2mm V2A) supported by wall hooks. Would this work or do I need more horizontal supporting wires to space the wisteria properly across the wall?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,432 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is it chinese wisteria or japanese? If it is Chinese it is very (very) vigorous, practically unkillable, has very nice leaves but the flowers are a bit anemic. Japanese is much less vigorous, has better flowers and similar leaves.

I doubt that wires will cut it for the Chinese, you will probably have to let it grow then drill in heavy bolts and fasten the wisteria to it (use elastic/rubber ties). It will eventually grow a trunk that will more or less support itself, though the branches will need a bit of support and guidance as they grow.

The Japanese one is much more slow growing, and sturdy wires, well anchored, will probably do the trick. My thinking would be that you would need to double up what you have at least on the vertical wires, put in parallel wires a couple of feet away from the ones you have marked.

I have a well established Chinese one that a couple of years previously had been somewhat cut back while some work was being done, by this year it was all over the balcony again.

The balcony/staircase has now been removed in anticipation of getting a new one put in and the wisteria cut right back again through all stems to about 2ft high. The stems are 2 to 3 inches in diameter. Already, after about 2 to 3 weeks it is regrowing branches, in two years time it will be full restored I think. A couple of young branches had managed to grow between the decking boards which were set (too) close together.

Mine is not planted against a wall, it is about 3 ft from one wall and 8ft from another, I don't think I would want a Chinese wisteria right up against a house wall though I have checked it up and its about 50/50 yes it will do damage, no it won't. The may not be taking the Chinese/Japanese differences into account though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

What you have is about perfect. Having much experience of biannually climbing ladders to prune wisteria I would move right hand wire out towards the downpipe so its in the middle of the wall. Further from the window means it will take a little longer each year before it taps on the window and needs pruning.

I'd also move the horizontal wires up maybe another 15cm keeping them both the same distance below the windowsills.

On all the runs use more wall fixings. When the trunks get heavy you will need to have them anchored to a wall anchor rather than a wire. So plan the anchors as if you are tying the wisteria into them and then add the wire as an extra. At least 5 anchors for the uprights and similar for the horizontals.

I've used a lot of 3mm wire in the past and consider 2mm to thin. Think I might try something like this https://www.screwfix.ie/p/diall-wire-rope-silver-4mm-x-10m/8398v or even thicker. Thats because you are only doing single runs. On a wall I've always put horizontals every 30-45 cm so 3mm was enough with a single run and all the weight of the plant use more wall fixings and thicker wire.

Wake me up when it's all over.

I'd looked up a fancy wire system for a neighbour and it might suit this situation

Given its a new house it might be worth spending the extra to do a really posh job. The link above has links to some pdfs to download that shows you how it works. I still wouldn't use less than 5 anchors for each run and money spent on more now could reap benefits in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭HotWaterCylinder

Not sure its that much but expensive enough. On a clean wall like that I think its a good investment. Some more info and cheaper prices here

The OP's wall is not the sort of 150yo wall I'm use to that you hammer 50p vine eyes in all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭4dxc

It`s Wisteria sinensis (chinese Wisteria).

Thanks for the inputs, I guess I`ll tweak it slightly and will add more wall eyelets as proposed. I guess I can always add even more of them at a later stage if needed to support certain branches better.

Advertisement