Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free NCT if you can't get a test in four weeks

• 25-05-2023 5:20pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Not so much a bargain but a lot of people may not realise this....and is sort of a bargain if you can take advantage of the backlog situation :)

"Section 5 of the Customer Charter - We aim to ensure that the average lead time for an appointment at an individual NCT centre is less than or equal to 15 days. You will be provided with a test, free of charge, where an appointment cannot be offered within a 28 day period"

https://www.ncts.ie/customer-charter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The exceptions to eligibility for a free test are:

- the test is overdue by more than 7 days at the time of contacting us;

- an appointment was offered 7 days or more prior to the test due date;

- you have made specific requests regarding suitable days, times or dates;

- you have declined or rearranged two or more appointments;

- you have failed to attend an appointment; or

- you have previously accepted or requested an appointment outside of the 28 day period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭JoeCat

Mine was expiring end of January, I contacted them in December as the first appointment available was around August. I had to email and call several times during December, January, February until March, that they gave me an appointment, for which I had to pay fully. I was expecting it to be free at that stage, anyone knows why I didn't get the free one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

I got mine free last time. I forgot about this rule and wasnt expecting it.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Seems that the strategy to get a free test is to call them less than 7 days before / after the due date. That's why they were pushing to book 3 months in advance on radio ads as that would rule out a free test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭A Law

I rang customer service before I went to the test centre the last time to make sure that the test was free as I had fulfilled all the criteria for it. Took a bit of arguing and getting transfer to a supervisor but got the free test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭ooter

My nct was due on may 10th, went online in April and the earliest date I could get was January 2024, does that mean I'm entitled to a free test?

Can they offer you a test anywhere?

For example, if you live in Dublin, can't get a test there, but they offer you a test within 4 weeks in an NCT test centre in Galway, have they fulfilled the requirement to offer you a test within 4 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Tango One

I booked online about 4 weeks before my nct was up, the best they could do was about 6 months at the time. Called to try get sooner which reduced to 3 months. They wouldn't give me a free test because I accepted the 6 months, which is crazy. There is an option when book you fill out to try get a sooner appointment but that is not clear. Lots of back and forward with no free test

Whilst I appreciate your comments regarding a longer wait for an NCT appointment, respectfully, I must highlight the conditions that accompany Section 5 of our Charter “We aim to ensure that the average lead time for an appointment at an individual NCT centre is less than or equal to 15 days. You will be provided with a test, free of charge, where an appointment cannot be offered within a 28 day period, unless any of the following apply:

the test is overdue by more than 7 days at the time of contacting us;

an appointment was offered 7 days or more prior to the test due date;

you have made specific requests regarding suitable days, times or dates;

you have declined or rearranged two or more appointments;

you have failed to attend an appointment; or

you have previously accepted or requested an appointment outside of the 28 day period.

There is no guarantee of a test appointment at short notice for cars overdue the test.

On review of our records Pt. 6 applies to your vehicle, and on that basis a free inspection would not be applicable.

Brought my yoke in a couple of weeks ago. Tried to make an appointment back in Feb/March (out of date middle of May), my original appointment was for middle of August. When I got the cancellation date (for a couple of days before due date) I was advised I'd be refunded and have to just pay on the day. Brought the car in, the fella took the keys and cost me €0.00.

No idea if the chap fucked up or the system did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭9935452

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If you go on the cancellation/priority list you'll be highly likely to get one within the 28 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭zg3409

It is very difficult to get a free test. You have to refuse all dates outside the window. You have to allow THEM to pick any date or time. If you phone and you are near expiry date then usually they will put you on the reserve list and you will get a text a few days later with a random date and time a few weeks later.

They have dates and slots reserved specifically for those who make a fuss, and those who try get a free test.

Very few free tests are issued. As suggested above if you want to try get a free test read the rules, but if you ring it's likely you will get a sooner date and not get a free test.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

I rang as mine had just expired, he denied i was entitled to a free test, tried to say didn't fit the criteria. So far I have not got a date if not with in the 28 days I will be making case for it been free. When i queried because he wouldn't / couldn't give a test in the 28 days he brushed aside. Now can just wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

That's it. Done ours 2 weeks ago. Nearest available date was November this year, I took it and then called the helpline where they cancelled the November test and put me on priority list. Think it was 20 days from ringing when I got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

This is probably true but logic would suggest that if enough people make a request to be put on the cancellation list they won't be able to accommodate all of us and will inevitably give us all free tests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

You may get a free test, but you have a 40% chance of being failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭michael jay

last year i booked my test in feb , only could get july, mine was out end of june, i contacted them in may and they cancelled my july one and put me on a proirity list and told me to check the live updates, by the time i got an email i got my new test date 2 weeks after my original one and wasnt offered a free test, (so im guessing you may need to keep at them )

should i go back after them for a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Tango One

I was the same but got no refund, they said I wasn't entitled to one due to "you have previously accepted or requested an appointment outside of the 28 day period."

• Registered Users Posts: 7 302Capri

They make the rules up as they go. I queried the charge as I was offered a test 29 days after going on the priority list - confirmation received by email.

Here is the response

"Thank you for your recent correspondence. I understand it is your contention that the test fee should not have been applied. I will attempt to clarify this matter.

I must highlight that the 28-day period starts 24 hours after been placed on our priority list.

With regards to your appointment for the 25th of May 2023 I can confirm as this appointment is within the 28- days of adding your vehicle to our priority list on the 27th of April 2023, unfortunately I cannot accede to your request for a free inspection."

No mention of the 24 hour period on their charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It sounds like they know their rules and it's no mistake you got it exactly on 29 days.

Not that many people will be bothered to do this (will be interesting if it happens more often now that it's more well known).

There is very little enforcement of the NCT when lapsed right now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement