Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

holiday companion

Options
  • 25-05-2023 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

i have a friend who is an older lady a feisty 70 yr old who would like to go on a weeks long sun holiday, her husband is dead and her usual companion died from Covid. She has no one to travel with her, is there any where i can find a similar companion , also a lady who is looking for a lady to have a holiday with as companions to look out for each other. Any site i have accessed seem to be back packers going to Thailand and Australia i am thinking she might like to go to Italy or thereabouts. . Anyone know how i can solve this problem i cant travel as i generally look after her dogs for her when she does.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

the travel department do solo holidays aimed at 50s+

https://www.traveldepartment.com/solo-travel-holidays-and-tours

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Terrier2023

thanks but she would like a companion so she can have someone to dine with go to the sea for a swim with shop all the girlie thngs.

• Administrators Posts: 13,981 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Talk to a travel agent. Solo people can book group holidays. There she will meet other solo travelers, with similar interests and probably click with someone to go for a swim and girlie shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,803 ✭✭✭YellowLead

As other posters have said she (or is it you?) doesn’t need to find a random other person - group holidays cater for group activities and plenty of older people go on them - my uncle is 77 and he’s been going for a few years now for a week in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

I have a friend who has holidayed on her own with the Travel Department and other companies. I don't know the names of the other companies but the point I'm making is that there are options out there for solo travellers. From what she has told me, she was never short of people to hang around with on these holidays and stayed in touch with some of the people she met. There are always solo travellers on these group holidays and they're usually open to making new friends. That, in my opinion, is the direction in which you should point your friend. Ask in a Travel Agent's if you don't see anything online that takes your fancy.

What you're looking for on behalf of your friend "She would like a companion so she can have someone to dine with and go to the sea for a swim with shop all the girlie things." is asking a lot. She knew and liked the people she used to holiday with. For now, she can't recreate that and it doesn't make sense to even try. To my mind, ruling out a group holiday in favour of one with somebody she barely knows is nuts for all sorts of reasons. What if she doesn't click with the other person or they fall out? A group holiday where she can meet a variety of people and choose who she wants to spend time with makes far more sense to me.

Post edited by Tork on

• Advertisement
Advertisement