Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corporation tax on side hustle businesd

Options
  • 26-05-2023 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

I have a full time PAYE job and I have a side business that turns over €500,000 with a net profit of €100,000

I don’t take a wage as I don’t really need to and my plan is to build up the company over the next few years and sell it on.

my question is, as I don’t take a wage the net profit is higher and is obviously subject to corporation tax.

is there any way this can be done where I can reduce my corporation tax liability without taking a wage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Pension the profit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Pension, Company cars & more expenses is the only way to get it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Surely a company car is not very tax efficient when you'll have to pay BIK on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Electric cars have better BIK. I'm unsure of the exact rates but you can ask your accountant.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If you can create expenses this the best way of getting cash out of a business to reduce tax liability. Pension contributions are the next best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,438 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Cars in general are not very tax efficient as cars themselves are taxed quite heavily, and do not hold their value well. Buying a heavily taxed wasting asset as a mechanism for reducing your tax bill is . . . perverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,899 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

With that level of profit, you can afford to buy proper tax-planning and succession planning advice. And you should do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

So if your side hustle is making more than €100k p.a., your PAYE job must be making you considerably more (else why that hassle?). That means your annual income could be more than €200k. To minimise tax and take cash out of the company  you could easily afford to contribute the maximum to a pension plan. The total permitted is capped by allowable salary limit (€115k) and age related -  

The age-related percentage limits are:

Up to 30 years 15% of remuneration/net relevant earnings

30 – 39 years 20%

40 – 49 years 25%

50 – 54 years 30%

55 – 59 years 35%

60 years +     40%

With that amount of income why not use a professional instead of using Boards?

Advertisement