Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to insulate a tiled conservatory roof(20 year old)

Options
  • 26-05-2023 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I have a tiled conservatory roof with 2 Velux windows ( probably double glazed)

I have had a few leaks addressed in the past few years, however the conservatory is very cold in the winter.

My roofer says the roof could go another 10 years and find a company who can insulate from inside opening up the timber ( it's not plastered)

I suspect the felt could be damaged already with all the leaks in the past.

What is the best way to address this? Either go for insulation or replace he roof and go for plaster walled kind of roof from inside with new felt and tiles in the roof or any other approach to make this conservatory usable throughout the year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Remove the timber (paneling?), fit insulation between the rafters ensuring sufficient ventilation gap above (between insulation and roofing felt).

Next (and the key piece) install an air tight membrane, lapped and taped and sealed to all walls / window frames ensuring complete seal. Also seal any light cables penetrating the membrane. Finish with material of choice such as plasterboard / skim / paint.

If done properly, it will go a long way to making the room useable in winter, however, your glazing / windows may also require to be addressed due to radiation losses (or use good curtains / blinds)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Silentreader

Hi Mick,

What could be the air tight membrane that you are referring to? Is it some kind of plaster board?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Advertisement