Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CEX old devices

Options
  • 26-05-2023 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone sold their old devices to Cex, if so did it go ok. I've a drawer full of old phones, all factory reset.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭DopeTech

How old are we talking? You can check what value they are worth on their website.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If it's any use to you, a few years ago I bought a laptop from them, but I ended up returning it and getting a refund because although they had stated that the battery (removable) had been checked, in actual fact it wouldn't last more than a few mins. Going by that, I'd say they take anything that appears to be re-sellable (if that's a word).

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭raxy

I brought a pixel 3a in before. Was only about a year old. They took it, wiped it & then when I went back told me they don't accept phones for trade in once they are discontinued.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Sounds like a rubbish excuse from that branch, TBH. Their cabinets are full of discontinued phones and electronics.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Could have had them in before they were discontinued

• Advertisement

That's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

That's what I did. Does it matter how old they are if the website says they will take them.

That they would say that doesn't make much sense.

Thanks. That would make it all pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭flazio

No harm in checking. They actually refused to take my Sony Xperia 5ii recently because dirt had accrued on the selfie camera under the screen (cracked it a month into owning it and got it repaired privately, clearly wasn't sealed very well) plus they also insist you include a charger, shop guy suggested I buy a cheap pound shop charger and put it in with the phone.

If nobody will give you money for the tech you can just leave it with local authority recycling for free.

I guess why not. I've another box ready for recycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭windowcills

I traded in a pixel 3a about 1 and a half years ago, no problem

Have to say, it was the worst phone i ever bought, the "a" meant it was a lite version, seems it used an old type of storage

Google pixel 3a slow

• Advertisement

Must have been a bad update.

One of the kids still has a 3a still running fine.

It's a decent CPU. The updates are for stock Android. It's not bloat or anything. Every Android that still getting support will get them. The pixel just gets them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Own TWO phones. My newest is a Nokia G60, fully updated with Android 13. My other is the Pixel 3a. Bit slower now in taking photos but apart from being stuck on Android 12 still works fine.

Bought 2 Laptops from CeX, one a Dell i5 7440 and the other a Sony VIAO i7 8GB for 380. The Dell was maliciously damaged on me. The VIAO works as intended, but I don't use it anymore, it's 12 years old!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Sold a Motorola phone (G82, dual-sim, unlocked) into CeX on Saturday just gone. Phone was just a little over 1 year old since release. No issues with CeX. I've gone back to an iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Cex won't be interested in anything "old". They only want stuff that is current or new enough to be salable.

No-one is going to want to buy a 5 year old discontinued Android phone from your random rubbish drawer.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

Who said 5yrs old?

I assumed if the website offers you a price to buy them they are interested. It's the website wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

I did sell them a pixel 2 XL back in January, think I even got close to €100 😎

I can fully recommend selling phones/tablets to CEX- it so much less hassle compared to adverts..I just still don't understand their business model though as the prices they charge for their stuff are let's say ..uncompetitive.. I also have never seen anyone in the shop buying anything, just people handing in stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have bought a few phones and other bits from them over the years and don't find them that bad really considering you're getting a 2 year warranty with the stuff. Better than the minefield that is Adverts as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Advertisement