Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarmac quotes. What to look for?

Options
  • 26-05-2023 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Getting quotes for getting the driveway done. We currently have stones down, since house was built round 2008. Guessing a lot of that would need to be scraped back.

Has anyone got any sort of list of things I should be asking in order to compare. One quote I have is for 60mm tar (not sma). Said the stones would be dug back as much as needed and then topped up to required level with stone for the base.

Not sure if that’s normal or if they should be digging to a certain level uniformly and having a consistent level of base.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭downtheroad

That it's a legit company and not our nomadic friends

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Definitely ask around locally and go by recommendations rather than quotes from random advertiser's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Yeah quotes I have are from recommendations. One is new fella startin but recommended by the guy I was recommended who has retired 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

If you have a gear change on your driveway or may have heavy machinery turning on it I'd recommend SMA, also try to measure accurately the area your topping and engage your contract by the tonne (use dockets to verify) this avoids and shortcuts on material and gives assurance you got what you pay for.

Advertisement