Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phillip Schofield steps down from ITV after affair with "much younger male"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Actually that’s what he needs to keep him busy for the next few months- a book for the Christmas market -“ Philip -The Truth…I swear ta god! ”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,606 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

"No Groom to Improve, This Mourning " 😄 I'll get my coat, the sun is getting to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,300 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

I think the Pholly show has really run its course. Holly is quite saccharin and needs someone with a bit of snipe in them to balance her out or it becomes the ditzy show. Don’t think she should continue on it, her brand is tarnished. Also don’t like the pairing of her with the other presenter, chalk and cheese. Nope doesn’t work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I've never really seen the appeal of Holly, to me she has always come across as very cold and insincere, and I reckon she would sell her granny to get ahead or to protect her "brand". There are far more capable presenters around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

actual facts - please? objectivity..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

She’s attractive. And that is absolutely it. Awful presenter and interviewer. So ridiculously childish, juvenile and contrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭nachouser

They should just have Peterson, Linehan, Tate, Trump, Sunak on the couch and the Venn diagram for this thread will just be a big circle forever.

I see anger on Twitter towards Holly now. What's she supposed to have done? A lot of people seem to enjoy getting very annoyed by little to nothing. It's like another Harry and Meghan.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,613 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

According to her.

Sounds like she got a job she wasn't qualified for, something which she eludes to in her rant.

Most of her grievances seem to be based on third party hearsay.

I never once spoke to Phillip (he did appear to glare at me a couple of times, apparently, so I was later told, because he knew I was close friends with a senior tabloid journalist.)

Apparently he looked at her and this upset her enough to write about it.

I imagine they were delighted to see the back of her, she sounds like one of those.

• no but I’m not trying to compare my workload with theirs and say they are similar either, what I’m saying is “working every weekends” or 12 hours a day is not reserved to that individual or indeed that industry.

Honestly if you want my opinion they are being a bit of a crybaby. I’m not gonna sit here and recount stories of my work life but I can promise you, whether you believe me or not, I’ve worked through physical torment to get my work finished properly because I don’t believe in taking on a job you are incapable of.

if the hours and commitments are not sustainable find another job.

As for the shouting and rudeness from higher ups that is inexcusable and they have every right to be upset about it.

Someone who isn't happy unless they are permanently offended and blame all their short comings on others.

We have all worked with them.

I never once spoke to Phillip (he did appear to glare at me a couple of times, apparently, so I was later told, because he knew I was close friends with a senior tabloid journalist.) As for Holly, the only interaction we had was when I held open a door for her and complimented her sparkly skirt, to which she thanked me. They were treated like gods, kept in a gilded cage

Holly thanked her for a compliment and she heard Phil may have looked at her.

Toxic Gods!

It's embarrassing scutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

This Morning editor Martin Frizell, denying toxicity at ITV show, then asking the young female reporter twice if she likes '' the cock'' ... now imagine what he would be like behind closed doors, when he is so fcking arrogant in public. He thought he was being smart, but we all know what he was asking her, pure scum this man.

• sounds more like you’re projecting…

reporters turned up outside his house on his way to work, he didn’t feel like engaging and answered their question with a stupid one.

You could see from space he was just plugging what’s on the show and had no intention to answer their questions (why would he, that would be insane).

“do you like aubergine? I don’t like it. BBQ prawns today though!”

Are BBQ prawns also a secret code for sex? Ffs

Your posts go round and round in circles. You tried the cherry picked line approach few posts back, or have you forgotten?

There is more to the article - they worked in the Daily Mail. Evidence of them being permanently offended - zero. Evidence of blaming all their shortcomings on others - zero.

The hours that the news team - mainly brilliant, hard-working, talented news producers - put in every day were brutal; regularly working from 5am and answering emails and phone calls into the small hours of the night. But there was a permeating culture of competitive exhaustion and burn-out.

They pointed out many other things. But of course, easier for to ignore that, doesn't suit your narrative.

Incredible how happy you are to pile on to this employee who had to quit over the culture at This Morning.

But when it comes to the likes of Schofield it is hands off.

For some people toxic culture only exists in snowflakes minds. One rule for the 'gods' alright and one for the rest.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

Option 1 - no comment

Option 2 - be a dick

Takes opportunity to be a dick.

• Advertisement

• are you joking or what? “Don’t comment” why shouldn’t I? Is this not a discussion board?

like actually give me strength

Maybe go back and re-watch the video and it should be more obvious whose options I am talking about.

Is that how you would have acted in the same scenario?

All the guy had to do was "no comment" it, but no, he took the opportunity to be a dick. And that's with cameras rolling.

Or could have gone down the route of - I hope viewers will turn in to watch This Morning yadda yadda yadda.

…….

Post edited by Oscar_Madison on

• My apologies I thought you were talking to me (as in I had two options blah blah)

you’re right though yes he should have just said nothing but there’s just no way I could believe he was trying to make an innuendo.

It was just a really awkward exchange and in fairness getting ambushed by reporters on your way to work probably wouldn’t put you in the best mindset!

No need for apology, am glad you challenged it so that we could clear up any ambiguity as to the intended target of my comment.

At this stage he should probably expect an ambush, and first thing in the morning all the more reason not to try to be a clever dick about it and just play it straight or safe.

regularly working from 5am

It's a morning show.

Or do you think 2-3 hours live programming can be shunted together at 8:45?

She clearly wasn't up for the job, she went from tapping out the occasional nonsense article in glamour mags to Head Editor of News for a live television programme. She was given 8 producers and still couldn't manage. She lasted 3 months.

The person who replaced her has been in the division 13 years.

Her ranty article is just a bunch of hearsay and whinging where she can't manage to wrap her around the fact that Holly and Phil acted differently off screen, Holly went on her phone FFS!!!! 😳

• Advertisement

Reporter was being a dick camped outside his private residence.

She knows where the ITV studio is I assume.

The Mail on Sunday is a glamour mag now?

It's a morning show, yeah. So either you work early or you work late, one is sustainable. Both are not. And the articles talks about late night calls. Nor is working weekends over months. But of course you ignored that.

In the position she was in, it seems reasonable she should be in contact with the presenters. The other presenters engaged with her. Why not Phil and Holly?

Multiple staff at This Morning have also said they did not engage with them. Tip of the iceberg, but it shows how they viewed the other employees. And that's not the only conduct under dispute now is it?

Amazing how you love piling in on this article but nothing said about Schofield's conduct ... Why is that one wonders?

Post edited by odyssey06 on

The reporter was polite but firm not aggressive. There was no scrum. This happens with UK media and it is doubtful a media exec hasnt worked in an organisation over the years that does it.

The Mail on Sunday is a glamour mag now?

The vast majority of her career is glamour mags, the company she is working for now is literally called GLAMOUR.

About

02.2021 - present: Entertainment Director / Assistant Editor, British GLAMOUR

06. 2020 - 02.2021: freelance Deputy Editor, British Glamour print biannual, Conde Nast / Contributing Editor.

10.2019 – 12.2019: Head of News, ITV This Morning.

Executive on ITV’s flagship daytime show, reporting directly to the editor and managing a team of eight news producers. Commissioning all news content including politics, entertainment, human interest and hard news. Ahead of the 2019 General Election secured every major party leader on the show, including the Prime Minister.

08.2018 – 10.2019: Editor-at-large, Grazia magazine, freelance journalist and media consultant for Chappy and Bumble. Grazia ambassador and regular contributor across news, features, health, beauty and comment both digital and print.

11.2016 – 08.2018: Assistant Editor, Grazia magazine. Number three on the magazine overseeing features, news, politics, lifestyle and travel. Editing all copy for the magazine and assisting with creating the cover every week.

01.2016 - 11.2016: Executive Features Director, Grazia magazine. Managing the features team, pitching in daily conference & responsible for commissioning and editing high-profile writers. Forward-planning and scheduling all features content.

09.2014 – 01.2016: freelance, London and Los Angeles.

Working in entertainment, travel, fashion, news & broadcast journalism for Grazia, the Mail on Sunday, Hello! and broadcast on LBC 97.3 & London Live. Based in Los Angeles January - March covering Awards Season.

07.2009 – 07.2014: News Editor, Grazia magazine.

Manager of the news team responsible for all celebrity news content, sourcing exclusive interviews and angles on all leading stories of the week, including the cover story. Editing copy, commissioning writers. Covered the Oscars, the BAFTA’s, the Brit Awards, the Cannes Film Festival and International Fashion Weeks.

01.2007 – 07.2009: Senior News Reporter, Grazia magazine.

On the ground reporting, liaising with contacts and PRs, pitching to the news editor and writing to tight deadlines and interviewing celebrities.

01.2006 – 12.2006: Showbusiness Reporter, The Mail on Sunday.

Sole showbusiness reporter working in a highly pressurised news room and travelling the country. Responsible for breaking exclusive stories that set the national news agenda for the week.

09.2004 – 12.2005: Diary Reporter, The Mail on Sunday.

Attending and reporting on social, royal, fashion and A-list events and interviewing celebrities.

Nothing polite about camping outside a family home, it's gutter scumbag journalism, especially over something so trivial.

• Advertisement

Within the rules of the UK media her conduct towards him with the questions was polite.

If you have a problem with such conduct re: gate interviews point us to your other posts bothered by it.

Is This Morning a 'glamour' TV show then?

It isnt Newsnight or Panorama.

Noted you dodged the question of why you relish piling on re this article but wheh it comes to Schofield nada. Why is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Adult man had intimate relationship (encounters) with another adult man. Society saw potential for huge contrived/hyped outrage-scandal. Society succeeded!

Noted you dodged the question of why you relish piling on re this article but wheh it comes to Schofield nada. Why is that?

I have given my opinion on him several times, I just tend to do it without clutching the rosary beads.

Is This Morning a 'glamour' TV show then?

It isnt Newsnight or Panorama.

I know and she still couldn't cope even with 8 bloody producers. 🤷‍♂️

The lady that is currently in the role the past 3 years with 10 years experience working in the actual field seems to be doing fine.

Strange that isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭rogber

Judging by the last page of comments it seems this story as far as it concerns Schofield is basically exhausted and nothing more has emerged?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The whole thing is quiet funny really.

It is just one form of tabloid media daytime TV being eaten alive by other forms of tabloid media all trying to generate money from each other.

Red top newspapers, gosspip websites, main player TV stations in BBC with there interview with Schofield & ITV mentioning they are the main news story every chance they get and then you have the 24/7 rolling tablot news channels like Sky news & GB news all covering it 24/7.

Yet the UK is in chaos and the Tory government must be loving Phillip Schofield now for taking over the news cycle for so long.

I do not think a toxic bullying work environment is trivial imho

Martin Frizell, editor of ITV's This Morning could have ignored the journalist or said no comment, MPs are investigating so of course the story continues also with Holly back and the show still on ITV it is attracting attention

Aubergines should sue Martin 😄

An Aubergine is slang for cock, he was trying to be smart asking her twice if she likes ''Aubergine'' A guy like him think he's clever, in saying such things and getting away with it as you can't prove he's not talking about an actual Aubergine, but we all know, unless you're 90 years old and living under a rock for the last 40 years, that he was talking about cock. Can you imagine a young female working under him going into his office to make a complaint, what she would face, he's an arrogant prick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I think I might have to apologise to someone about my vegetable lasagna.

• Advertisement

It's a euphemism, he knew what he was doing. Do you really thing he wanted to talk about fruit, come on man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Yeah, I know, the infamous emoji. I was just kidding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Nearly three weeks into this circus and its still as clear as mud why PS and TM parted ways and why his agency YMU dropped him. I read that PS was a major shareholder in the agency and his daughter still works there. Also, the fued between PS and HW has been going on for years since HW set up her own agency and refused to pay YMU fees, sued and got a £1.25million settlement. Do rival agencies use sneaky tactics and leaks about affairs and liaisons that happened years ago to get contracts? Maybe it was all about the money or maybe HW wanted to run the show and now PS is finally gone.

This is the timeline and it looks like PS clashed with other female colleagues too so he had a few enemies. https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/holly-willoughby-phillip-schofield-fallout-timeline-b2352172.html

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Summary of three weeks full time coverage: "Guy had affair with his assistant---didn't tell wife."

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭200mg

NDA Gagging order we have no idea why the other side has not come forward.

Yeah, that guess is as good as any- they were still outwardly anyway, as thick as thieves the pair of them right up to this year- maybe if we knew when the family holidays stopped, that would likely indicate when things started to go south.

LOL, do you or the baying public really care about an alleged toxic work environment?

No, they want the salacious decadent homosexual sex gossip.

If this thread was about alleged bullying at a tv channel it wouldn't have got passed page 1 and you certainly wouldn't be here pretending to care.

Anyway back to the hunt. 👍️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭suvigirl

maybe he just wants to keep his private life private? FFS, as if the witch-hunt after PS isn't enough,now people are going to start after this innocent party as well🙄

The government are hardly investigating an affair, they are investigating the TV show and ITV, the story isn't just about Phil's affair with a young protégé if it was I doubt everyone would distance themselves so publicly from him, his represented agency which his own daughter works at dropped him like a sack of hot potatoes surely there job is to work with clients through anything

• Advertisement

the story isn't just about Phil's affair with a young protégé

You should ask for a thread title change so.

Phillip Schofield steps down from ITV after affair with "much younger male"

The government are hardly investigating an affair

The government are deflecting from BoJo again.

Advertisement