Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DXylose in Aldi's Langhams premium wet dog food

Options
  • 27-05-2023 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

Hello all, just a heads up,I've been looking for a good type of dog food and thought I'd found it in this brand of Aldi's,but when I picked up a flat tray of it I realized that in very small print it says D XYLOSE, which when I looked it up, is a form of XYLITOL, which is v toxic to dogs and cats, we use it in chewing guns and some toothpastes. I've had the cat at the vet recently after feeding her this, she's very fussy , I really don't remember seeing it in the list of ingredients the first time I bought this product, but maybe I just need to get my eyes tested. Anyway , back to human foods for both of them for now, and added taurine .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Perhaps I'm being naive here, but, surely, it's highly unlikely that a pet food producer would put a known toxin to dogs in their product?

While Xylitol may be toxic to dogs, maybe d xylotose isn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭gussieg

it gets put in chewing gums and toothpastes, on checking the ingredients on most wet dog foods available fro mother supermarkets, it very vaguely says, of vegetable origin, not saying what exactly, which this is , its also known as wood sugar or birch sugar, but it is a form of xylitol, just like there are plants that arent safe for dogs and cats and then some that are .the previous iteration of the exact same dog food was just grand , why they had to change it i dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Nothing you've said there suggests that d xylotose is toxic for dogs.

Honestly, I don't know if it is or not, but to be fair, neither do you.

The fact that, as you claim, d xylotose is a "form" of xylitol, doesn't mean it's toxic to dogs, even if xylitol is.

Why would they put it in dog food if it was toxic to dogs?

Advertisement