Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four bike carrier (towbar mount)

Options
  • 28-05-2023 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

I have a towbar mount Thule two bike carrier but have to bring four bikes on holiday this year. We've roof boxes and a full boot so I'd prefer to carry all four bikes out back if possible. I'd have preferred to buy another Thule but they don't make a four bike carrier. My current one can flip down when fully loaded to allow the hatchback to open which is particularly handy.

So, I've two questions:

1. are four bike carriers unwieldy or a bad idea in terms of size out back etc?
    2. are there any other brands that are decent quality and nice to use?

Halfords do one which looks flimsy. I've seen a Peruzzo Pure Instinct one which looks decent but is pricey. I don't mind paying as I'll likely get ten years or so out of it so it's more important that it's up to the job, well designed etc

It's also important that it has it's own lightbar. There's a Thule HangOn carrier which ticks all the boxes except that one.

Thanks in advance for any advice/recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

The Thule VeloCompact and VeloSpace can be expanded from 3 to 4 bikes by adding adapter.

You could buy a separate aftermarket light board for the Hang- On - not as nice as the integrated ones but it will do the job. Just be aware that while the VeloCompact and VeloSpace can be tilted for boot access with the bikes still mounted, the Hang On is only designed to be tilted when empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Birka

Thanks - I didn't know that it was possible to do that. I'll check out that option.

I'm coming around to the idea of the Hang-On with a light board as it looks like it might do the trick. I'd need three bike frame adapters to the kids and a ladies bike as they've no crossbar. I suspect that two people working together might be able to tilt a fully loaded Hang-On.

I like the locks on the VeloCompact/VeloSpace (both for bikes and towing hitch) although I guess a couple of U Locks would work to make things really awkward for anyone who wanted to steal them.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

This is the one that i have - https://www.micksgarage.com/d/bike-racks/products/3341571/tow-ball-cyclecarrier-pure-instinct-4-bikes-web-packaging

Very easy to use, and tilts with all bikes on board so access to the boot is maintained. Was a bit fiddly in putting it all together, and i had to replace the first onw i bought under warranty, because the wiring loom was not working correctly and the reverse lights would not come on, on the trailer.

Very sturdy and secure, though you do see the rack bouncing around a bit off the back of the car when looking through the rear view mirror, nothing to be worried about, just something ive noticed. I've gotten 4 bikes fitted to it, and also 1no balance bike slotted between the bikes. Car i have is a C4 picasso. One thing though, is that the blind spot monitoring system doesnt work when the rack is on, and the reverse sensors go nuts also when in reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭pairofpears

I have the Halfords own brand 4 bike rack and it works fine. Its on the back of my Superb so all up I'm about 6mtr long but its no issues. If you are with Axa you will get 10% off in Halfords as well.

Its easy fit and hingers for access to the boot. Probably more basic compared to the Thule but I am happy with it and its coming to Belgium this year with us.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the responses and info

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭thebackbar

Sorry for digging up this this thread, but im looking at buying a VeloCompact/VeloSpace, I need to transport four bikes, two adults and two kids. just wondering are the thule carriers compromised when carrying a fourth bike ? would i be better off buying a peruzzo carrier which is built for four bikes ?

I ended up buying the Thule Velocompact with the Thule compact adapter for a fourth bike. Bikeable in the Netherlands were cheapest at the time. I've used it regularly, including a trip to France which involved a fair bit of mileage. I had no issues at all.

I bought the Velocompact as I had the two bike version previously and was very happy with it in terms of usability and quality. It had a decent resale value too. I gave a lot of consideration to the Halfords rack but read reviews that mentioned it hitting the ground on slopes. I was boarding the ferry to France and saw that happen to a car using that rack. I think that there were concerns over bike spacing and potential frame rubbing on the Peruzzo but I can't remember exactly.

My four bike rack is reasonably 'luggable' by one person and stores neatly when not in use. We carried a flat bar road bike, a horrendously heavy ladies mountain bike and two kids bikes. We had no issues and the carrier was stable in the rear view mirror even on bouncy roads. It was relatively easy to carry up a stairs in an Air BnB which wasn't quite as described (Paris on-street parking). There's plenty of room on it for four adult bikes with the only limitations being the nose weight capacity of your towbar and the weight capacity of the rack itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Sports Pursuit have a Buzz Rack sale at the moment - they have this model on 'sale' for €390 🙄

Looking at the link you have it comes in at around €305 before delivery - I'm hoping/assuming there aren't any hidden Brexit customs charges (?)

One other noobie question - do you need the Lighting adapter with these type of racks?

Edit: went to check delivery price...it's £80 😲

Edit #2: SportsPursuit delivery in €7 so overall it works out pretty much the same 😂

• Advertisement
Advertisement