Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating loops on google maps for cycling

Options
  • 28-05-2023 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi all, hope ye are well.

Recently got back in to cycling and Im trying to create some loops on google maps that I can follow. Don't have a fancy computer job just yet but happy to stop and use my phone if needs be. Down the road I can export the loops ive made in google maps to fancy device of choice I guess.

Questions are:

When I create a loop in 'my maps' in google maps apart from being a pain in the ars€ it doesn't show me a total distance which is annoying. Any idea how to remedy this? it'd be nice to be able to create a loop on the couch and know before you set out how long its gonna be.

Also, if anyone has a particular app that works well with a particular maps software I'd love to hear about it. There's something clunky about google maps or else Im not using it to its full potential.

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how long a loop do you want to create?

and where in the country are you? you might find people who can suggest loops (and whether you want hilly or flat ones)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

I use Mapmyride to create routes and export them for use with Komoot for navigation on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pegdrums

I’m based in cork city. I’d be happy to take on suggestions but also like the idea of creating my own..at the moment I’m aiming at 30km and increasing gradually with a view to getting back to ring of Kerry next year. And to be able to do some nice long spins with camping gear over a few days.

Cheers, I’ll have a Google of komoot. Would you recommend one? Saw a few computer yokes with some pretty mapping features. Seems to be a real rabbit hole once ya start reading about them.

I’ve a wired cat eye velo 9 atm which will do me grand while I save for a proper map computer.

I’ll have a look at mapmyride too thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Komoot is an app, not a device. Excellent for creating routes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Ride with GPS should do what you want, with the free version of the App. It'll give you actual navigation on your phone with a sub, but free will give you the ability to plan routes (on web) and look at with current location on the phone app. Also you can search local routes too. It's still my go to mapping software.

Ah right, cheers!

Cheers I’ll check it out.

Advertisement