Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildflower Meadow Attempt

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Heavy applications of roundup are a waste of time. Gysophate takes time to work. Best results are with a litre per acres and let it time to work before you till

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This single poppy is literally the only wildflower in my garden so far apart from the seriously common stuff like buttercups/knapweeds/sorrel/sow-thistles and normal thistles and it grew in my wild verges that I never even touched so first attempt was a total failure.

This year I plan on being more aggressive, Ill be starting a regime of weakening the grass with concentrated vinegar and heavy scarifying with the dethatching rake for July/Aug until I have a proper bare seedbed and then reseeding again with another round of wildflower.ie seeds in Oct/Nov. I want to do it without glyphosphate, maybe if it fails again.

I will also be getting set up to produce a load of plug plants in the Spring, mainly yellow rattle and a few others.

Did you ever have any success with this strategy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

This single poppy is literally the only wildflower in my garden so far apart from the seriously common stuff like
    buttercups/knapweeds/sorrel/sow-thistles and normal thistles and it grew in my wild verges that I never even touched so first attempt was a total failure.

that's wildflower racism!

seriously though, why make work for yourself? you shouldn't expect success overnight; and it may be due to underlying conditions you'll find backbreaking to overcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

This is mine this year all daisy's.

I might cut it back and take the daisy's off and see could I weaken the sward

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a couple of areas that I want to grow wild, one is under some apple trees, the issues there are too much grass and a lot of hogweed. Without any other intervention it has grown queen ann's lace, docks - which are very pretty when they grow the really tall flower/seed heads in an orangy colour, buttercups (of course) and a few other smaller flowers like speedwell and a few daisies. The hog weed is being taken out but mostly getting its head chopped off before it seeds, its an annual so hopefully will just go away if it is caught soon enough. My daughter is very sensitive to the hogweed so we need to get rid of it.

The other area has less variety but lots of huge thistles, hogweed and nettles. It is an area that has been wild for a long time and is very fertile, I have planted a good few fruit and hazel bushes in it and hopefully as they develop they will shade out some of the more aggressive weeds. There are already a very small number of bluebells which I hope will increase, and a lot of honeysuckle and ivy growing at ground level, which I hope will spread as I remove the four foot high nettles and even bigger thistles and hogweed. There are lots of nettles in other patches in the garden which will be allowed (as though I have any choice) to grow.

I don't want to use herbicides on it as I don't want to lose the naturally growing weeds - other than the thistles and hogweed, if you look carefully there are other things that want to grow in the area, given a bit of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Using concentrated vinegar as a weedkiller? Not sure that that's a great idea tbh

Oh, someone here told me it was a more natural alternative to Roundup, is there anything else I could use then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Oh? Maybe it is, I've never heard of anyone using it but there are others here who'd know a lot more though so maybe wait for some other feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The 5% vinegar that you put on your chips will only have a very limited effect on weeds, they will be more offended by it than killed, they may well shrivel but many of them will regrow from the roots. The 'concentrated' vinegar is 20% horticultural vinegar which is very corrosive to tools, sprays and you. Its acetic acid, which is just as much a chemical as weedkiller, except that weedkiller has been designed for the job, and overall is less damaging to the environment.

If you want to spray chemicals on your garden (and in fairness, I use it on paths and gravel) use one designed for the purpose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement