Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has the cost of fitted furniture increased dramatically in the last 6 years?

• 29-05-2023 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

We moved into our new build in 2017.

We ended up scaling back at the time and are now looking to finish things that we didn't finish back then.

At the time I got quotes for fitting out the cloakroom, and for fitted desks and shelving in the kids rooms and a few other things in the house.

I've gone back to get updated quotes and they are now double what they were back in 2017.

Is this the norm now?

The company has a very good reputation and they did a fantastic job of our kitchen, utility, wardrobes, fitted units in bathrooms back in 2017.

Best Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Yes, the cost of materials and labour has skyrocketed between increased inflation and demand, although I think the price of wood has come down. Unfortunately, you won't get quotes anywhere near 2017 prices.

I'd stick with a reputable company or tradesman and get work done in stages if necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,908 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes. Even during 2022 prices went up multiple times for some things we had quotes for. Wardrobes were still an OK price earlier in the year, stairs and fitted storage was painful later on

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sanfurniture

I can't help but wonder if this increase in cost will push more people towards DIY furniture projects or second-hand options. It's a shame that something as essential as furnishing our homes has become such a financial burden for many.

Advertisement