Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cow that lost a calf

Options
  • 29-05-2023 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Cow lost calf there last week. She is an average cow around 9 years old, with no benefit for schemes in terms of stars.

Can you generally sell a cow that lost a calf last week to the mart straight away i.e. This week..?

I understand if sending to the factory you need to wait a few weeks until dried off - how many weeks would this take?

Would one be better off just sending the cow straight to factory...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Does she have a big bag of milk? I would think it would be better to soak back a bit before you sell her

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JohnChadwick

Yes cow is visibly full of milk. Is this a factor for a mart buyer... And how long before the udder is at a level acceptable to a mart buyer?

Obviously she is not currently residing within a field of heavy grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Cull cows are usually sold off as dry cows. You would see an odd one with milk but I never seen a freshly calved cow to go through the dry cow ring, but I could be mistaken. Unless she is fit for killing not many grass men would buy her unless at bargain basement price as you'd have the risk of Summer mastitis on a cow like that.

Would buying a suck calf replace be an option ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Might be no harm to rub some tar around her elder to keep the flies away from her. Flies are mad out here this last hour after being fairly quiet all along, that's them for the summer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Mr..

You might be aswell cut ur losses and sell her very shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Dry tube her, leave her in a shed for about a week with some hay and water then meal her well for a month & bring her to the Mart when the withdrawal period on tubes have expired. That will get you the best result if you want to get rid of her quickly. Otherwise dry her as above and keep her on good grass with 3kgs + meal per day. Then she should be fit to kill end of August. Keep a garlic lick bucked with her to keep the flies away & you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Some advertise these cows on DoneDeal as foster cows

Advertisement