Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is board's.ie just one big censorship?

Options
  • 29-05-2023 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I had a thread closed where I raised a valid conversation, without offensive language: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120654710#Comment_120654710

I wasn't given a reason. I assume that the moderator probably felt the thread was offensive as it was a discussion partly based on personal attributes (weight).

A forum where open discussion is not permitted. Seems a bit odd.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It was a nonsense thread designed purely to provoke people. The mod was dead right to nuke it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I’m not a mod but a thread like that comes across as fat shaming and trolling. I’m not surprised it was locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

My thread is directed at overweight (the term fat is offensive btw) people who use the wrong car parking spaces. Not everyone who's overweight..

Can you reword that, I'm offended by your use of term nuking the thread. The thread was closed.

I have Japanese relations who were directly impacted by nuclear warfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I’m not usually one to side with mods but in this case, absolutely.

If your thread had linked to stats showing that overweight people are more likely than others to use a parent and child space, or an article written by an overweight person claiming they were entitled to it, then fair. But you just accused a group of people with no proof or basis, you didn’t even qualify it with ‘this is my opinion’ or ‘I think’, or asking ‘would you use a parent and child space and if so what is the reason’ You’re just trying to be mean to fat people.

• Advertisement

So it's OK to use offensive terms like fat and for people to tell me I'm a fat shamer but it's not OK for me to create a discussion based on personal experience, statistics and conclusions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

This isn't a place where you can say what you want about whoever you want. If you want such a place then start your own site. You have no right to express any option you choose. That thread was only created with one conclusion in mind. You'll have to camouflage future attempts more carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭YellowLead

The stats you posted did not reflect what you stated in your thread. Is your next thread going to be - hey fat people, why do you commit murder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭nachouser

For a laugh, look at their previous threads. Totally not created to wind people up.

• Advertisement

• I was actually just finished reading your DM querying why I closed the thread OP & was going to have a quick look again just to make sure I was not acting too hastily..

i then stumbled across this thread & honestly if I could lock it a second time I would do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

No, I've been suspended several times and in the heat of the moment I believed it was a Trotskyite- fascist conspiracy against me. Then I calmed down and believed I deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Perks

Any online social forum is "one big censorship".

Mods are just the first wall that's all.

No interest in the topic of your closed thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@Glaceon didn't call you a "fat shamer", they said the thread came "across as fat shaming and trolling." There is a big difference.

For clarity though, I think that you are a fat shamer.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Seriously?

A thread gets closed and you think it warrants a site-wide Feedback thread within 40 minutes?

Well this one is also now closed. If you wish further clarification you can discuss it with me via PM, as you should be doing with the mod who closed your thread in AH

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement