Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooker Switch

Options
  • 29-05-2023 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Hi All

the light in our cooker switch has been flickering the last couple of days. Its totally gone today so the spark won't work (its a Rangemaster gas cooker) but we can still use a flame to light the hobs. Is it as simple as buying a new one and swapping it out?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Is it gas only ?

They can give trouble and need replacing with electric cooking

Could be something as simple as loose connections if its gas only .Worst case is replacement switch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

It's unusual that it works at all if the power has gone as normally the main valve closes and the unit can't be used. The little light in most of those switches is a neon lamp and they do a thing where they flicker like a flame when they get old, but that's not a sign that the switch has gone faulty, so are you sure that the cooker has no power? Does it have a time display and is that working... or what about the oven light, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

That's interesting about the main valve closing. Whenever the electricity went off before the gas used to still work so I assumed this was why it still works now. Because the red power light doesn't come on anymore when we push the red cooker switch there is no clock or anything on the cooker. The spark doesn't work now which isn't an issue for the hobs but for the oven it can't be lit with a long lighter

And nothing is tripped at the board , highly unlikely here

Probably get someone competent or yourself to take a look , have a replacement ready

Post edited by kirk. on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

Got an electrician neighbour to replace it. He said the wiring on it was loose so at least its sorted now. Thanks for the replies on here

• Advertisement

Proved me wrong too! Some cookers have electrical main-valves which close when the power is out, others do not. Now I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have a hob with two gas burners and two induction. Thankfully the gas works fine in power outages because the gas valve is actuated by heat, so once it's lit and the flame heats the temperature probe, the gas safety valve stays open until the flame goes out and the heat source is removed.

You can see the heat sensing probe of the all mechanical safety valve here:

The only valve i was familiar with was a slam valve

I looked it up - that's it. Did not know of a slam valve. Now I do.

Advertisement