Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build house rules - no pets

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,403 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Possibly because there is no accreditation for ESAs in Ireland. Hard to see how people who need emotional support could be considered a group needing to be protected from discrimination legislation.

Currently. Its being worked on.

So while those with ESA's may not being being discriminated against legally under the Acts for now, they are being discriminated against morally.

People like Katherine here, who would find it extremely difficult to find a home to rent in Ireland where she could bring her dog.

I have no difficulty in seeing why someone like her would need legal protection against discrimination.

(And, in line with the thread, protection from crank neighbours who would complain about her dog to OMCs to try and have them removed if it so much as barked during the day).

There is a difference between a trained service animal and an emotional support animal. The worst pet owners claim their pet is an emotional support animal when it starts acting up.

I am not the least bit surprised that the first conclusion you would jump to is skepticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,403 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You just won’t let it go will you. Having a no-pet policy is down to the OMC, if the owners want to change it, vote on it. If you don’t want to buy there, so be it, plenty will, and appreciate the policy.

Life if full of choices, if you choose to have a pet, then your choice of properties are restricted.

• Advertisement

Again, it's not a "no pet" policy - it's an anti-pet policy which balances on the subjectivity of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Don’t think there is any specific protection for guide dogs or their owners in legislation. The general anti discrimination provisions in law protect all people with disabilities.

Yes, the Acts do cover all people with disabilities, but not all their animals are treated the same.

I used a guide dog for the blind as a reference as its the one most people are aware of and know can't legally be refused.

Not that it makes a whole lot of difference right now anyway. There are so many people looking for accommodation a landlord can simply avoid renting to somebody with a dog (even a guide dog) if they want to. All they have to say is the property was let to another applicant, if it's even queried.

I have friends in the blind community. All of them experienced problems having their dogs accepted when trying to find rental accommodation, even before the current crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

My point was that there is no special recognition of guide dogs in law, over and above other support animals. There have been some cases where the rights of guide dog owners were recognised (I recall a nun who was refused access to a pub in Blackrock), so precedents exist, but no actual law.

I know some service providers were concerns about whether they had to recognise support animals. There are some reputable organisations who deal with support animals, and there are people who make up their own rules (often with strong justification). We haven't quite reached the stage of the emotional support peacock yet, but such cases may well emerge over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

It looks like it was some crank's subjective opinion that the peacock was too large to go on the plane 😄

• Advertisement
Advertisement