Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census 2022: 10% reduction in Roman Catholic numbers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Jock_Ewing

It mightn't be we'd adopt it, it might arrive here in numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

Slightly off topic but I am astonished the biggest topic of conversation from very interesting Census results is the religion one. The age profile, house ownership, etc items are far more relevant. Of course, a bit of church bashing seems to be required by some from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Start a thread on those topics so. This thread relates to a substantial % drop in numbers of catholics in Ireland. A number which wouldn't have been imagined maybe 25 years ago.

Really? I find with friends like that "fcuk off and keep your opinion to yourself" is an appropriate and justified response.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Im not getting my people mixed up? The poster I quoted said that.

Edit, you might be right.....you said you're an atheist but ticked the Catholic box yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭corks finest

I'm a practicing RC

My church in Carrigaline and St Mary's popes quays numbers haven't fallen

Irrespective we need quality not quantity

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Right, yeah the fundamentals of Catholic theology start in the OT when God is beginning to show up to the party, but only when Jesus lands through a virgin birth...that is when the teachings are to be taken literally. Got it, makes total sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You were told that in school and you believed them?

Religions are businesses and they like to bad-mouth the competition.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Not that hard to find, in the whole internet?😂

Anyway, Wikipedia? Seriously? Did you even read all the article?

• Advertisement

The second largest religion in Ireland is Church of Ireland and it's less than 2%. But we're all going to be taken over by those muslims, any day now... the stupidity of that sort of post is off the scale.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

What's crazy is not that teacher, who has perfectly valid reasons to be concerned although maybe not because of the census.

What's crazy is

(a) expecting, or rather requiring, an employee paid by the State to teach a religion as factually true during their working day

(b) the fact that said employees can be sacked without recourse on the basis of their personal religious belief, marital status, etc. and yes this has happened, and yes it's all 100% legal for a religious "ethos" organisation to do so but NOT for any other type of organisation or business.

I did, do you disagree then with the entire article? It has the relevant references.

It's declared that God revealed himself through the OT which then through Jesus in the NT...so we just skip the OT?

How about this then?

The Old Testament is an indispensable part of Sacred Scripture. Its books are divinely inspired and retain a permanent value, for the Old Covenant has never been revoked.

Indeed, “the economy of the Old Testament was deliberately so oriented that it should prepare for and declare in prophecy the coming of Christ, redeemer of all men.” “Even though they contain matters imperfect and provisional,” the books of the Old Testament bear witness to the whole divine pedagogy of God’s saving love: these writings “are a storehouse of sublime teaching on God and of sound wisdom on human life, as well as a wonderful treasury of prayers; in them, too, the mystery of our salvation is present in a hidden way.”

Christians venerate the Old Testament as true Word of God. The Church has always vigorously opposed the idea of rejecting the Old Testament under the pretext that the New has rendered it void

SO again, the OT is very essential to Catholic theology, despite what you seem to claim.

I also love how you are laughing at me like I am the weird one here saying that the OT is literal, but you claim it's mainly philosophical...because that makes a HUGE difference.

Control of 90% of primary schools says the exact opposite. The church doesn't even fund these schools and in most cases didn't pay to build them either.

Hah, what crap!

Atheism is not a religion, those even trying to claim that are clowns.

The proposal isn't that there is no God, its that it may be said that there is no reason or evidence to believe that there is a god.

It is just not a religion, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Starfire20

i love how the pointing out of, and disgust at the historical and ongoing rape of children by the RCC and its minions is referred to as "church bashing" in an attempt to sweep away the valid criticisms of that cult.

Totally incorrect

Atheism is non-belief in a god or gods. That's all.

Bone up on your Greek. The "a-" prefix means "not". So the word "atheist" means "not a theist" - a theist of course being a believer in a god or gods.

So you got that 100% wrong.

BTW you've also got the definition of agnostic wrong too. Atheists are almost invariably agnostics as well.

Theism or atheism is about your position on belief

Gnosticism or agnosticism is about your position on a claim to knowledge.

So:

• Gnostic theist claims to know for certain there are god(s).
    • Agnostic theist has belief in god(s) but does not claim to know for certain (most believers)
    • Agnostic atheist has no belief in god(s) but does not claim to know for certain (almost all non-believers)
    • Gnostic atheist claims to know for certain there are no god(s).

Even Richard Dawkins does not claim to be a gnostic atheist. He just considers the existence of god(s) to be extremely improbable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

There's no people more obsessed with the catholic church in Ireland than those who don't attend it.

Nobody at all would care about such a mismatch if we had secular health and education systems. What we do have is a dying church with substantial influence on health, very substantial on secondary education and a stranglehold on primary education and abusing these state-funded essential services to promote its ideology.

There's no people more obsessed with the catholic church in Ireland than those who don't attend it forced to send their kids to the schools it controls even though they'd rather not.

FYP

• Advertisement

Was there a former sewage chamber on the site of the Tuam home?

Yes.

Were human remains found in that chamber?

Yes.

If you want to argue that it wasn't a septic tank but a cesspit then knock yourself out (nobody outside of the Plumbing forum will care about that distinction) but we know it's only desperate attempts at deflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭sniperman

a priest was due to hear confessions one sunday,but got a bad dose of the runs,so he asked the alterboy to fill in for a while for him,he agreed reluctantly,anyway this man came into to the box,bless me father for i have sinned...last night while my wife was asleep,i i done her up the you know where and i feel terrible about it,and i need to make it up to her,well the boy answered back,if you want to make her feel better,just give her some milk and cookies,like the priest gives me.

I'd love to see stats on Culturally Catholic vs. Religiously Catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭victor8600

I wonder how many people would still identify as religious if a church tax was introduced, like the one they have in Germany

It seems fair to me, if you are Muslim, or a Catholic, you should put your money into your church, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Perhaps have a re-read of my post, as the context seems to have been lost on you.

I was responding to the OP's initial reference to mass attendance.

OP wrote: I'd bet my mortgage that 69% of the kids making their confirmunions at the moment don't attend mass with their parents every Sunday. (link to post here : https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120657484/#Comment_120657484)

I replied with: I would imagine that a large proportion of those who identify as Roman Catholic do not regularly go to mass (link to post here : https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120657505/#Comment_120657505)

Is it really not ok that I started my sentence with 'I would imagine ...' ?

It seems fair to me, if you are Muslim, or a Catholic, you should put your money into your church, right?

Why should the state have anything to do with gathering the membership fees of a private club though?

No. One would be very foolish to believe what's taught in school. Research my friend 🙂

Post edited by Jock_Ewing on

The naivety of your post is off the scale. Large minorities can be troublesome.

There are some militant elderly atheists who spent all their lives campaigning against everything Catholicism. And in a lot of instances justifiably so. But you'll generally find they've thought very little about what follows. The void often leads to disillusionment, higher suicide rates and the like.

They know everything and know nothing. In my experience the constant fighting, campaigning and antagonism leaves these people humourless and not much fun to be around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Starfire20

do you have any examples of stuff that's taught in school that isn't true or correct?

besides religious studies of course.

Advertisement