Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot weather and grass burning

Options
  • 31-05-2023 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi all

Interested to hear what everyone does to keep their grass green in this weather? I can't really keep watering it as I've over a half acre out the back alone, could water the smaller bits in the evenings I suppose. Have a bag of 7-6-17 also so was thinking of applying this to help out...

Hard looking at the yellowy straw type grass when you put in so much effort to have it green lol

What's everyone else doing?

Ps not complaining about the weather, it's fantastic. The garden can wait until it passes lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Kato74

A few IBC's harvesting rain water over the year & hook them up to a hose during dry periods.

They do it in Australia, but they pump it through a filter back to the house for washing machine, dish washer etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

No do not apply any fertilizer until we have had a decent amount of rain and are due to get more rain.

The fertilizer now will make it worse.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭blackbox

Don't worry about it.

It will recover when the rain comes.

One more point don't go cutting the grass short when its really dry, come up a notch or even two on the mower rather than trying to cut closer. When the grass is hardly growing there will be some weed or other taking advantage so you still need to cut to keep weeds and courser grasses under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Manta400r

Ah yeah I leave it higher and use the mulch plug to try retain moisture in this weather👍

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

watering the lawn? are ye mad. haven't gone near it with water and it's doing fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

My lawn has been struggling this year with weeds cropping in. I manually pull the thistles when I cut it but no ideas how to get rid of the others? Lawn very patchy. It was put down on only a couple of inches of soil (3 years ago) and I've never used fertiliser.

Would someone mind giving me a product I could spread/spray that would kill the weeds but leave the grass? As it is, 'my' grass is now lodging with other grasses that have come in as well.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Definitely a first world Irish problem. 🤣

Dicophar is a weedkiller you can use that won't kill grass 👍

But don't use any selective weedkiller when its this dry. Ideally you want good growing conditions for both grass and weeds when you use it.

• Advertisement

Huge help, thank you.

I would need to put some soil and more seed down. I assume I would leave that until a few days after spraying?

Yeah let the weeds die off first and then seed and top dress. I mixed seed with soil in a bucket first and then just packed that into any of the holes and bare patches I had. Hope this helps

First big shower of rain today, can almost hear the grass drinking it as quick as it falls haha

Advertisement