Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax implications for father letting home (PPR).

Options
  • 31-05-2023 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

My father is living in a 4 bed home with attached 2 granny flat let at rent a room rate of 14,000 per annum.

He is single retired (69) and receives full state pension of 265.30 pw. He wants to spend his winters with grankids

in australia (expensive) and retain a place in ireland.

What is the most tax efficient means of using this property to generate a rental income.

He has capital to do a conversion or split but wants to retain the PPR status for rent a room relief.

Your suggestions/what would you do.

Regards,

Del.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

He is already getting the full rent a room relief. What more does he want?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Short term let’s of less than 6 months is the key.

ideally he should rent it to people who are renovating their own house.

no fear of overholding and he can charge a small premium.

his pension is 13k a year. So he still has tax credits he is not using that would amount to more than 14k allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭DubCount

OP. I'm not going to get into the application of Rent A Room relief to Granny Flats. As you note in your post, Rent a Room relief only relates to your PPR. If your father rents out the property, is no his PPR at that time, and any income from the granny flats would lose their Rent a Room Relief. Some incidental short term letting might be the answer, but thats quite limited. Speak to an accountant before coming up with a plan for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,797 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

He cant get that relief if he leaves the country and it's no longer his PPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 del4646

Dear All,

Thank you for replies.

To clarify. He wants to spend winter in Oz as grankids are off school - 3/4 months.

DSP says 4 months abroad does not affect pension status. According to revenue

you have to be abroad for 183 days to affect resident/domicile status? He does

not want to overburden the family by staying longer than 3/4 months.

Property - he does not need a 4 bed home so suggestion was to convert 4 bed into 2

apartments and live in granny flat. Rent a room relief and possible accomondation

recognition payment (14 + 9.6) which hopefully does not affected state pension.

Addtional income is for his time with gankids and for them.

Ultatimely he wants to arrange his assets and time within Revenue/DSP obligations.

Does this sound viable or is he missing something?

Regards,

Del.

I assume th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭3DataModem

It seems that your father will maintain Ireland as his tax residence, with occasional vacations to Australia so it seems that he will be entitled to have his house as his PPR.

If that remains the case, then he can continue to do rent-a-room. However he

• can't charge more
    • can't ALSO rent out his house, and retain rent a room
    • can't rent the whole house as rent-a-room
    • could theoretically do some short-term holiday letting of his house while away without impacting rent-a-room, but this is shaky ground, and short-term holiday lets have their own requirements (e.g. planning) that might invalidate the rent-a-room.

If the house is very big and could generate a substantial income, he could consider renting the whole house out and keeping the "granny flat" for himself. No rent-a-room, but with such tiny other income the tax burden of this rent would probably justify it. Then he could have a nice pile of loot to pay for Airbnb or hotels in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭doc22

It could affect this tax status abroad and they may want a piece of the income too. (you can be taxable by two states)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Standard visa for Oz is 100 days too, just something to consider. Too risky to rent it out, he has the pension and 14k tax free, better to leave it empty! Imagine he comes back and someone wont leave.

Converting the house to 2 apartments will ned planning permission, which may be refused because of the granny flat, will be expensive as each unit will have to meet up to date regulations for fire safety and insulation, electrical installation, will devalue the property as the new owners will factor in the cost of removing the conversion and will result in the tenants of the units gaining part 4 rights. The income from the tow units will be fully taxable as he won't be able to avail of rent a room.

All in all, the plan is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Move into the granny flat.

Rent out the 4brm. Pay the small amount of tax that is due. It won't be much, due to the low other income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Iirc, there something in the RTA that says when a part of a property that is self contained is let, it doesnt need to be rtb registered as long as its still connected to the original property and the owner informs the renter at the outset that its not a tenancy. Does anyone know what RTA section?

There are options with a 4 bed house if the owner lives there. If the above is correct, the house could be split up/down with the downstairs plus the granny flat one space, a second space upstairs with entrance via the staircase. Live in the downstairs part, let the granny flat and the upstairs. No PP required as it's not a commercial B&B or Airbnb, or a complete division of the property into two separate apartments that could be sold separatly, it's still one property. No RTB registration as both renters are lodgers/ licensees living with the owner. House is father's ppr even if he only occupies part of it or visits family in Australia or goes away on holiday for 3/4 months in the year as he wants. Also, RaR only applies if the rent is less than 14k pa and any higher just needs to submit an annual tax return.

Other option is to apply for PP to divide house into two apartments, spend megabucks on architects, pp fees, building conversion, fit-out, and accommodation during building works. When its finished, live in the apartment with the granny flat and do rent-a-room, and become a registered landlord with an RTB tenant for the other apartment. IMO thats a lot of work, hassle and stress, before during and after.

There is no such section. There is a section which reduces the notice period in the case of a property which was once a single residence, has been converted to two residences and the landlord lives in the other. The granny flat if currently let should be registered with the RTB, even though it qualifies for rent a room relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Ronney

One important thing to note is once you receive over the €14,000 you loose the relief in full. Its not a case of the first €14k is tax free

So if he gets say €14100 (ignoring credits) he would pay at least 20% tax so only get €11,280 net

Why does a granny flat that is part of a house need to be RTB registered if the owner is also living in the property?

It is the same as a resident owner letting separate bedrooms - it is not unusual that people who house-share and occupy their own en-suite bedroom have kettles or microwave, possibly even an area with a sofa and tv, and they would have a lock or keypad on their door. They may share kitchen facilities, living areas or garden space but they do not have exclusive possession of the property which is necessary to be a tenant. Afaics, if the owner is living in the property, even in a separate area, then anyone residing there with their permission is a guest/lodger/licensee.

I remember reading somewhere that if the space is connected, and remains part of the house, and is accessible by the owner from within the house (eg, a granny flat, a converted garage, a converted loft) that does not need to be RTB registered and the occupier is not a tenant. I will try to find it.

I think the key bit here is Exclusive Possession.

Movimg in to the granny flat and renting the main house would result in tax being paid on the entire, assuming the main house lets for more than 14k. The net benefit might not be very much given that there will likely be more repair needed in the main house.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DFB-D

Non-application of Part.

25.—(1) This Part does not apply to a tenancy of a dwelling where the conditions specified in subsection (2) are satisfied if the landlord of the dwelling opts, in accordance with subsection (3), for this Part not to apply to it.

(2) Those conditions are—

(a) the dwelling concerned is one of 2 dwellings within a building,

(b) that building, as originally constructed, comprised a single dwelling, and

(c) the landlord resides in the other dwelling.

So security of tenure (part 4) does not apply where the above is relevant.

A granny flat is a separate dwelling. House sharing is people in the same dwelling. The landlord is not living in the same dwelling so it is not the same as a resident owner letting bedrooms.

Thanks for both replies.

So am I understanding this correctly here - if a single property is divided into two separate dwellings and the owner lives in one unit and the second unit is let, it must be rtb registered but the tenant in that registered unit does not get part4 rights because the property was originally all one?

OK but does that apply even if a granny flat is not physically separated from the main house? Most granny flats I've seen are actually attached either at the back or the side of the main house.

Do you mean the RTB have decided that any granny-flat is treated as a separate dwelling even if it is not in fact separate?

Also, if that is the case, how does that section 25 above work? RTB require registration but for what purpose if there is no part4 rights accrued? I'm a bit confused tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DFB-D

As I understand it, granny flats of the kind permitted by the corporations/councils are not seperate dwellings, they are connected by at least one entrance through the main dwelling. They may or may not have a seperate entrance as well.

You would probably need to look at each circumstance to decide if the flat meets the RTA wording for a dwelling and whether that it is considered within the original dwelling.

Something best left to a solicitor unless you find any cases where it is explained better.

• Advertisement

The cases on this point are all over the place. In some case the RTB have said that a bedroom is not a dwelling and in others they have said the opposite. The main issue that the councils have is that they don't want a planning unit sub divided so they insist that granny flats are created such that they can be re-integrated back into the original house and are only allowed as long as there is a family need i.e. an actual resident granny.

Section 25 only applies to a very small number of tenancies. The landlord has to Section 25 deals with a very limited class of cases. It is a requirement that the landlord inform the prospective tenant that he intends to avail of it. Despite not coming under part 4, other provisions of the act apply for the tenants benefit such as the right to a notice of termination, dispute resolution etc. The landlord is obliged to provide a heating system which the tenant can control individually, must supply a 4 ring cooker, fridge and freezer.

In a house share scenario the tenant and landlord share the same kitchen facilities, the landlord controls the heating system etc. The landlord can also regulate visitors as well. It is a question of fact in each case as to whther a separate dwelling is involved. The Housing ACt states that a bedroom cannot be a dwelling. Planning permission will not be given to create a bedroom as a dwelling unless it meets the minimum size requirements for apartments which is most unlikely in any typical house.

The reason for the non application of part 4 is to allow buildings originally built as a single dwelling to be reinstated as such, so tenants with rights to remain don't keep buildings in flats which would otherwise be in single dwelling use.

It can be a trap for the landlord of a granny flat who thinks because he gets rent a room relief that tenancy ldon't apply and fails to notify t he tenanaws t in advance of Section 25. He can find himself with a tenant for life, devaluing his house.

Thanks for the info. Basically, if the council gives PP for an attached granny flat that is connected to the house, that would not be considered a separate dwelling under building or planning rules. Then if the resident owner later wanted to let it, eg say the granny moves to a nursing home, the council requirement that it was for family use means that anyone else would be a licensee because it's not a separate dwelling. So that would be the same if a house was used upstairs/downstairs provided there was no actual building work done to convert the house into two separate units, also a licensee. Not sure that rent a room is an issue if an owner is also resident but a lot of variables where licensees are concerned. RTB should provide more information as this can affect a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I converted a house into a house with a granny flat, very easily, with a new patio door in the side wall and a stud wall with a new locked door in a hall and then a few appliances and drain pipes.

Total wasnt even €5k. Took myself and brother 3 weeks working just evenings and weekends. Was all very easy in the end though one of the rooms of the granny flat was already an enusite bedroom, so no bathroom plumbing required for a bathroom. Put the kitchenette on the outside wall.

Thats effectively 2 properties now, but still just one property overall.

Get someone to look at the layout of the house for you and its possible to arrange it in many different ways depending on what you require.

If I want I can rent out any combination of rooms in the house as long as I dont go over €14k. Once I am finished with my job I can go higher anyway if needed without much of a tax issue. I can also do AirBnb with either the "granny flat" or the main part of the house if it suits me.

All checked and double checked before, during and after, through a solicitor relative whos own practice handles a lot of RTB cases. Thats important so you can maintain whatever configuration to your advantage.

Thanks for all that information, much appreciated.

Dear Responders,

Thank you all for your help on this. Very informative and plenty to consider.

The granny flat (2 bed) was a former garage but was been incoporated into to family home

via a hallway- by blocking off each end of the side entrance and converting side window into

a doorway it provided a doorway to each property either side of the hallway.

He did have a further question regarding electric......

Can he split the electric to the granny flat without affecting the single RCB to the family home?

Currently it is all on the one RCB mains meter. I know this is quite common in the UK using a

coin/card meter for single units where a large house was split into units.

Your comments/experience is most appreciated.

Regards,

Del

We havent done that, but Ive been told it is an easy job for an electrician.

Legally though I dont know how you stand iof you have a seperate meter in the granny flat for rent a room.

The council ususally insist that the granny flat be re-integrated into the main dwelling when the granny goes. To get planning for a separte dwelling you jave to sub divide the planning unit. You could have the granny flat as an illegal second dwelling and the occupant would be a tenant not a licencee. Just because you have no planning for a dwelling doesn't mean that the RTB won't find it is a dwelling.

If you did any of that without planning, you are operating illegally. If you have created a second dwelling the occupant is a tenant. If you are in an RPZ you may well be restricted with AirBnb. I hope your solicitor relative has professional indemnity insurance.

No im not operating illegally. It is part of my house. There is a door between them. I have checked and double checked before during and after with a real live solicitor (ie not a random person on the internet) who is well versed in these things. And the OP should also get professional advise and not take what people say on the internet as gospel.

• Advertisement

Down by the Garden etc

Thanks for your knowledge as evident by your personal experience. This forum is good for a greater perspective and options.

My father's first response is to engage revelant authorities .. revenue, PTRB, Council, etc. before spending any money.

A simple solution is to let the house under rent a room relief RAR (the granny flat is not a granny flat per see but an incoprorated part of the main residence and does not fall foul of being a seperate building - according to the nice man at revenue. He stated originally such acccomondation garage/outbuildings/granny flat only had to be within the curtiladge of the existing property to qualify for RAR, hence the term.

Splitting electric meter is so that my father would not be burdening the house occoupier. But does not know how to go about this (yet).

If your see more favourable options then feel free to comment.

Regards,

Del.

Advertisement