Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lance Spraying in hot weather?

• 01-06-2023 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Have a good bit of isolated patches of Whins {Gorse} to get lance sprayed. Ideally best time to spray them is around now when they have finished flowering and yellow colour is dying off. Weather looks like its going to be like this for next 10 days anyway.

Will be getting a man to do it for me and thing is he doesn't work evenings and I'd imagine you would be losing a fair bit of the product to evaporation if spraying during the day in this wild heat.

How have others got on spraying Whins in last few years?........ and do ye think I should leave it off for a while until hopefully a few dry cloudy days come.

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I was out early this morning spraying weeds. Was done by 10 as it was warming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Might be wiser to wait till this mad hot spell is over then before tackling the Whins. I have found Grazon Pro the best treatment for Whins.

I've noticed a lot of early thistle growth this year, and not just in my own land. Especially the low round shaped thistle that expands outwards quickly.

Would be interested in peoples tactics for tackling these types of thistles .Presume spraying is best job for them.......but when and with what product is best to get a good kill.

Thanks for anyone's experiences with them or getting a good kill on whins.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭bauney

I noticed the same on the thistle growth on fields this year. Some fields have 12+ inch height thistles since mid May where previous years this would occur around mid June.

For some hard to reach corners, I used MCPA 50 with a budget sprayer and sprayed thistles, nettles and rushes. I found M50 worked great on rushes and nettles. Will see how thistles far out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Who2

I’m spot spraying with forefront t and it seems to be doing a good job. I thought it was only me battling thistles. Especially spear thistles where you might have the odd one I’m now getting load’s around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭50HX

I thought forefront t was broadcast spraying only

What dilution rate you using?

It's a great producr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Think you are right

The label prohibits the use of Forefront T via hand-held equipment

https://www.homeland.ie/media/pdf/8f/09/b3/Forefront-T-Technical-Data-SheetVHX77UauMDEgb.pdf

Surprising normally you can find a pdf copy of a label online that includes a dilution rate for a herbicide for a knapsack mix but not this one.

Edit> Above link also says

– For spot-treatment use GrazonPro

Which only has application rate for Knapsack spot treatment.

https://www.agrigem.co.uk/documents/Grazon-Pro-1LT-Product-Label.pdf

Post edited by The Continental Op on

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Who2

i don’t use an exact amount but about a strong capful into a small 7 litre sprayer and carry it as I’m checking stock. It’s surprising what area you cover walking around. The paddocks closest to the yard are definitely cleaner than the furthest ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I've used it in the past in the knapsack for spot spraying in the GLAS wild bird cover at a rate of 125mils to 12litres which from memory is equivalent to 2 litres at 200 litres per hectare in a boom sprayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Itryhard

I thought all those products said keep stock out for 7 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Base price

AFAIK that is a precaution notice due to the presence of plants that become palatable when they die off after spraying and cause harm to livestock/bloodstock if ingested - ragworth/ragweed would be the most prominent in grassland in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The difference between the boom and a knapsack is the volume of spray mix that lands on the plant so you can't always make that comparison. I know when I use a hand lance a target weed will get a lot more sprayed on it than if it went under a passing boom. Thats the human element of hand spraying without even taking into account nozzle size.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Forecast for this week seems to be giving warm muggy days with isolated showers and cloud cover with sunny spells. Might see if I can get my contractor to tackle the whins growth.

If you had rain overnight but leaves on Gorse were dry by lunchtime....... wouldn't it be safe enough to lance spray them then if it looked like being dry for rest of the day?

Ideally how long should sprays get to dry in to work well?.............. I know that it's best to do any kind of spraying....be it on Thistles,Whins, Rushes or arable crops etc on a dry calm cloudy day. But I don't want to leave them too long without getting them treated......to wait for another spell of totally dry cloudy days.

Last week up here was too hot during the day and the intense Sun would have evaporated too much of the product before it dried in properly.

Advertisement