Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

I firmly believe a big part of the governments reason for throwing the doors open for Ukrainians was they were convinced they would be the new Polish/Latvian/Lithuanian cheap labour they and all their business plus business owning supporters had during the boom and just after the crash.

Licking their lips at all those crappy, barely able to survive retail, service industry, care jobs etc that they'd fill and be able to play the oul reliable "there's plenty that'll take your job" if they wouldn't put up with shite pay and working conditions.

One thing that galls me so much with Irish people when I hear them say immigrants will do the jobs Irish won't do. No, Irish people and long term immigrants here won't do these jobs cause the pay is so shite you could hardly support yourself in a house share these days and the work life balance can be so bad you'd end up on antidepressants. So we as a nation take total advantage of outsiders and let them live in poverty while remarking how great all the diversity is. Nah Tarquin you just want your cheap coffee. It's a modern day slavery, just a little touch of a feel good factor cause aren't we "helping" these people

Fuck off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Of course the option is there but the government is terrified of what the media and NGOs would say if they cut benefits to Ukrainians here now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Some information on public expenditure on UKR refugees

2 bn estimated in 2023 is:

38.5m per week

5.5 m per day

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

According to Google average wage in Ukraine:

14577 UAH/Month

Converted to Euros: 365.21 /month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

We are talking about numbers € that won’t even numerically fit in my IPhone calculator when multiplied by 52 weeks. It’s amazing how the government just conjured up this magic money all of a sudden. All other services and departments shirked to the sidelines ……., health , education, citizens housing requirements, transport etc etc.

If this government isn’t treasonous I don’t know what is .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

It was blatantly obvious late last year that the welfare rates paid to UKRs were a pull factor - The whole country could see it, including the Govt, but they did nothing - they've only admitted recently that it's a pull factor and this is possibly following a question to Leo V by Marc MacSharry in the Dail (5-6 wks ago) re the payments which made LV look like a complete tit (stuttering and stumbling) as it seems no advanced warning of the Q was given. Unsurprisingly, the MSM totally missed it too apparently, and it went largely unreported

So they've signed off on the new changes and this must be legislated for (mid to end of Jan) before coming into effect...what will happen between now and then I hear you ask...

I'm in complete shock - Here was a chance to claw back a micron of credibility for FG and the Greens by reducing the s/w payments to both existing and new UKRs but they totally blew it as their political suicide run continues in slow motion - I can't remember such acts of political self destruction like it (bar the rapid Liz Truss solo run)

One more (of many) piece of the stupidity shown is that they actually believe that having a few, lets call them supporters, kicking about saying "But Sinn Fein" every now and then, could change the public discourse

I'm thinking of a lab rat in the box on the counter...the rat keeps going up to the little metal plate that delivers a massive electric shock, gets a blast, walks away and the goes back and does it again - The lab technician looks on incredulous thinking, 'Why does it keep doing that?'

It's fascinating and incredible that such highly paid people and their highly paid advisors are actually so stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 25,006 ✭✭✭✭zell12

So will we see an increased influx of Ukrainian refugees before end January when the new rates come into effect for new arrivals?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

A Government briefing on deportation policy said some people were “non-returnable” to their country of origin due to serious mental health issues or an inability to determine their nationality.

The discussion paper also detailed how removals of whole families from Ireland rarely took place and any attempt to do so generally attracted “negative publicity and political comment”.

The Irish government can't look after our own mentally ill people but has to look after the rest of the worlds by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,588 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My understanding Is this:

The 100,000 Ukranians ALREADY here will stay on full social welfare of 220 per week plus free accommodation indefinitely.

It's only the NEW ukranians arriving that will be on 38.40 per week and only receiving 90 days of guaranteed accommodation. After that they have to sort themselves out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It says this on RTE

The current rate of €220 per week will fall to €38.80 for the period that Ukrainian people are in State accommodation.

However, they will revert to the higher welfare rate when they leave these centres

This reads as after 90 days regardless they get the 220?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

That's my understanding too. The government have created a new protected category of life time dole recipients.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Some FF TD on Newstalk saying he’s had a DP resident in his constituency complaining she’s been living there for 11 years waiting for a decision on her asylum application…..or was it a decision to grant residency after numerous appeals?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Augme

Jesus, what kind of **** is this? If there's a recession, you can guarantee welfare rates will be the first thing the government will cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,588 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Depends which way you take meaning out of it I suppose.

When I heard it being discussed on radio, I took it that the 100k already here are more or less considered like irish jobseekers indefinitely. There won't be any reduction for them.

Only new arrivals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Sup08

Double post

No. After January if they're of the ones that stay in the full time accommodation, they're reduced to the lower payment, even if they were here for the last 2 years.

Anyone arriving after his will get 90 days accommodation and the lower payment. After 90 days their payment increases but they must seek their own accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

A gravy train on biscuit wheels- the joke is on us.

Don't worry folks Leo will get tough on refugees in the run up to the election, just like he was gonna look after those who get up early n pay for everything.

"Cllr Moran explained that she was informed by the Council that the cost for accommodating each Ukrainian refugee nightly she was told “it was different for everyone and that the Council did not know exact amounts.”

She added: “I heard it was €100 nightly and that the powers who be had considered doubling that payment as it was difficult to secure accommodation. They (Council) neither confirmed or denied it."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

It really is such a sad and twisted psyche that Ireland and much of Western Europe has got itself into . It’s perverse that we are now protecting and providing better for people who just land here with no connection to Ireland or intention to contribute than we do for our own people . It’s weak , it’s so stupid and our leaders will look back on this period with absolute shame .

A guest on Katie Hannons show last night said we should be providing for our own first and then the rest if we can . She interrupted him to ask “ why should we “? . I mean that is the level of nonsense , PC bullshit and self hatred we have gotten to .

As for refugees/asylum seekers from totally different cultures and religions we really just need to look at France , uk , Sweden , Germany to see where we are going . It’s doesn’t work , it never will and it never has , anywhere , ever .

Edit: We are also light years behind the above countries as regards our transport , housing and health systems so our situation is more likely to be even worse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Can they get their own accommodation availing of the ARP?

I would assume they would have to meet the same criteria as everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

The thing is too you ear the exact same muck from right on types too. "oh Ireland will never go to far right, it's only a small number of racists etc"

Like it's the exact same scutter that their equals in England, France, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden and Belgium were coming out with decades ago maybe even up to the last 10 years or so.

Ireland just held out to mass immigration longer I suppose more so due to the fact we had feck all cash and couldn't accommodate any of this even up to the 1990s

All hand wringing over Brexit, Trump and even recently scratching their heads over Wilders and the way voters are going in Sweden.

Mark my words, the slack jawed surprise will happen here sooner or later too when you'll see hardcore anti immigration party making proper in roads. It's not even coming from the right anymore, some left wingers in Germany have even gone that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Need more stories like this in the media, most people see through this utter bullshit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I see roddy has stayed that we'll see a drop off in UKR with this new welfare rate being implemented.

So the clown is now freely admitting that we had UKR coming here for economic reasons. The waste amd stupidity would genuinely drive you nuts.

They should have been handed council road cleaning duties on arrival and earned their keep.

• And the cuts will be greater the more availing of them.

Basic economics.

• It was admitted by the justice department. The are quoted as suggesting 1/3 of refugees travelled here from “safe” countries to avail of our welfare system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Big business rules the roost here. Saying that for years

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Maybe I misheard but was listening to the this on the radio earlier on and after the 90 days they have to look for accommodation but the payment goes back up to €220

I'd be leaving them at the €38 and let them go and find a job if they want to stay here.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

They get to qualify for €800 rent and get €220 and get children’s benefits etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But if they'd left emergency accommodation and were still on only €5 a day, the risk of them falling through the cracks and ending up homeless would be huge. Very possible too that many of the people receiving €38 a week will find work while in state accommodation for the 12 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well too right they should find work in the 90 days which is the point I'm making.

Upping the payment to €220 after that period is only going to encourage people to stay on the social.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement