Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

I heard a guy on either Newstalk or Today FM this evening saying that the country is under populated as we had way more before the famine and he also said we take less refugees than any country in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

It's so obviously for the greater good all of this. I mean who doesn't want the want the same wonderful experiences as Sweden/France/Germany/the UK etc. We haven't been enriched by a Christmas attack yet and have only had a paltry single beheading. These are all benefits we should aspire to while importing our miscellaneous doctors and engineers to be unemployed in villages with nothing to do all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Ballaghaderen always had a large number of non nationals, so seeing them isn't anything out of the ordinary.

Unfortunately, the town has suffered from a number of factories closing down and no further investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,430 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I don’t see any of these women!!! as I said the gender imbalances in these middle eastern arrivals is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

So how do they support themselves if they can't work because they haven't been cleared and no help or support. How do they survive. Where do they live.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I think that was Newstalk.

The whole segment was going on about how the Irish went to other countries for centuries and we have short memories blah blah.

That's fine, but we have an enormous housing crisis with over 13,000 people homeless, and God knows how many others living with parents and grandparents that aren't officially homeless.

We have an obligation to help people fleeing conflict without a doubt, the problem is that a large number of people coming into the country aren't fleeing anything but low wages.

When we haven't taken the time to sort out own problems out and create a fair and equitable society for the people already living here the type of unrest we've witnessed around this issue is inevitable.

The establishment reaction is to label anyone and everyone who is mildly concerned about that as far right which does nothing to address the issues at hand and further disenfranchises the people most likely to do things like burn down hotels.

It's time to grasp this nettle before there is a real far right to deal with rather than this paper tiger the government and the media keep wheeling out at every opportunity. They are currently doing more to create a coherent far right in Ireland than the actual far right have ever been able to do.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Michael Martin has called for an ‘open and honest’ debate about migration 

I read that an internal Fianna Fáil process will deal with comments made by politicians about a fire at proposed asylum housing in Galway. 

How can there be there be an open honest debate when local councillors are been punished for expressing what people are thinking?

“asylum seekers travel around Europe and apply for asylum in the countries where they believe they will have a higher chance of receiving international protection.” – this means that the greater number of applications that Ireland is prepared to process, the more applicants Ireland will receive. So because we are soft we are seeing increased numbers and this is continuing to rise.

Under the Amsterdam treaty we have an opt out clause of such areas such as Asylum ,Rules concerning external border, Immigration policies and policies.

Also, under the Dublin III regulations of 1990 we don't have to accept anyone who has been in another Dublin 111 regulation country (any other EU country) Georgians are about 20% of applicants here so we should be accepting zero Georgians in reality. They are coming from a safe country and are also flying in here from other EU countries.

Another 40% of applicants from let's say Algeria ,Nigeria, Somalia fly into Ireland via other EU countries. 

People are allowed claim asylum without any documents here( destroying documents etc)

It is also an offence in Ireland to land without valid documents. Since 2019 one person has been charged but didn't receive a conviction.

We are an Island who can easily control our borders but our politicians refuse. Why are they protecting people breaking the rules?

I know last year around 40% claiming asylum had no documents. So this year that figure has to be higher. 

We are truly a basket case. 

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

We don't need a couple of thousand people that we have no idea who they are because they destroyed their passports on the plane living here.

Varadkar, McEntee and Pauline O Reilly (a senator because nobody wants to vote for her) all said earlier on today we have an immigration system thats fit for purpose, well I'm calling BS on that based on what I said above.

• Advertisement

Undocumented, shadow economy . It's in every Western country as I am sure you are aware .

Why , do you care ? If you don't have to pay for them..

What's the undocumented shadow economy. Never heard of it. How does it work what do you do.

I need to know what this shadow economy is before I know if I'm paying for them

You don't see them? How do you know who they are?

Do you doubt what I have said?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I think its asylum immigration you are referring to.

It needs to be managed, of course. But it isnt going to end.

Anyone thinking that it will end is deluded.

That said, it can and should be managed, in line with our available infrastructure.

Will that happen? I really dont know.

I think its asylum immigration you are referring to.

It needs to be managed, of course. But it isnt going to end.

Anyone thinking that it will end is deluded.

That said, it can and should be managed, in line with our available infrastructure.

Will that happen? I really dont know.

Yes because people worried about homelessness usually go around burning down accommodation. Makes perfect sense.

If they were genuinely as concerned as you think, there would be a constant protest outside Leinster house. But instead, those people so concerned about the homeless crisis are burning down accommodation, and bullying people who have just set foot in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Cordell

I hope they are all women who shed their traditional clothes especially that kind of cloth...who am I kidding, they're mostly men, which means we have imported some of Afganistan's problems. All these refugees who bring their ways here they are also bringing here the problems who made them refugees in the first place.

Why don't you describe it as your such an expert on it. Is it legal. You wouldn't be praising illegal immigrants doing anything illegal would you. Go on explain it.

No other country would just accept people who destroy their passports getting past their borders, we are the weak link in the EU when it comes to immigration control.

Yes it can be argued that other EU nations are struggling but they are at least trying to come up with solutions and admit that its a problem.

Like I said in the previous post we have the people we pay to run this country saying everything is fine and dandy and the system is working when it clearly isn't.

• Advertisement

Ok will bite . Let's drill down into that .

What exactly is " the refugee industry " that you are talking about ?

Who is paddy taxpayer and how will he be paying it ? (Strange term for any Irish person to use -btw )

• Registered Users Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

That's not the point I was making.

There's an inequality inherent in Irish society that creates a breeding ground for the type of "activism" we're seeing of late.

You chose to take a very narrow view of what I said and use it as a stick to beat me with.

You'll have to excuse me if I highlight the fact that your argument is lazy and built upon a misunderstanding of the point I was making. I don't like being so rude but then you don't seem to have any issues with rudeness when replying to me.

Glazers Out!

And thats part of IPA management, sure.

But if someone arrives without docs, they can still claim asylum.

So Im not sure how we square that circle.

I'll tell you exactly how we do it, we employ people to check for passports before they get off the plane and if they don't have anything then they go no further.

They are coming from outside the EU so a passport either real or fake was neeed to get on the plane so send them back to the airport the plane took off from.

Its because they are able to leave the airport and make their way into the city that the problem arises and they know there is zero chance they will ever be deported when they make it that far.

I have literally just told you who has been brought into the country as refugees from Afghanistan.

The reason they are refugees is because they are fleeing from the Taliban, you have heard of them I hope? They are fleeing death, oppression and the repression of women's rights.

I think you will find that they do.

claiming asylum is right covered by international law, and applicants do not need or require any document.

this has been explained many many times, either posters just ignore actual facts, or they really are that ignorant of facts that they keep repeating the same rameis out of some kind of trolling behaviour.

I am never rude, just brutally honest.

There is inequality in Irish society, has been for years. Would you be so understanding of some tenants of social housing, causing criminal damage in some private estate? Because of the inequality, you know?

Or maybe burning down a private hospital because they have to wait on the public lists for years? Terrible inequality in the health service

Can people not claim asylum as soon as they arrive on irish land?

Once they arrive at the airport they can claim asylum afaik.

• Advertisement

Probably be alot easier than trying to defend illegal migrants staying in a country by unlawful means including tax dodging.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement