Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Do they give a figure of how much it costs to deport someone.

If we take Puskas as an example what was it 10 years on disability in a 4 or 5 bed house along with his partner getting social welfare and child's allowance.

Then what is it 50,000 a year or something to pay for someone in prison.

So we are talking about over a million tax payers will pay for him.

How would the amount for deporting him match up to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

If you dislike misogyny, I imagine you have a huge issue with the far right cretins on social media then? They are the biggest bunch of misogynists and homophobes on the platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Do you also think that it's a good idea to place large groups of young men into small communities with little or no services, not knowing if some of these people are fleeing countries for committing crimes. Doesn’t seem right in a civilised society. I find it sad that normal decent people have to revert to this to have a voice. Only ridiculous if you don't care about your own, but not surprising

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

@malinheader

Gallagher’s or O’Hara’s sliced pan?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Perhaps or maybe they will light a fire under the prevailing government, but regardless they are going to do very well in terms of votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

People say nasty stuff online- colour me shocked. At least this far right lot are not decapitating gay men in real life tho- eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

We most certainly did ... I recall anyone who opposed lockdowns were called 'far right' when they were in fact not that ... I'd call them Gemma O'Doherty brigade far right but not everyone who opposed long lockdowns were fans of her ... I hate Gemma and co for instance but also opposed long lockdowns ...

WRT immigration it needs to be handled better .... people have a right to be concerned about 100 males transplanted into their locality and they do need to be vetted etc (same problem exists if they were IRISH btw ... it does not matter what nationality they are) .... my more immediate concern would be that there are thugs active in the area willing to set fire to buildings and attack people ... I'd want that filth out of our locality ... the same type of filth that would be engaged in burglaries et al you can bet .... arsonists and the like are not welcome in communities and are most certainly NOT concerned citizens .... concerned citizens are those who would be concerned about those 100 male migrants or indeed native Irish coming to their community but would be far more concerned about arsonists and other such terrorists hijacking their concerns .... indeed prob 100 male Irish thugs are those who truly terrorise the area of concern via their criminality ....

On the news last night 6000 new citizens got their papers yesterday. Was saying 170k+ since 2011.

What criteria do they have to fulfil to become Irish citizens? A few high profile cases recently where new Irish involved and were unemployed - can you be unemployed and still become a citizen?

Saw a documentary on Brits moving to America a while back n the hoops they had to jump through was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

If there was an actual problem with immigration, and not just a problem with racism blaming immigration for all kinds of things, a good first step would be to lead by example: do not let Irish people immigrate into other countries, especially if it's just for the purpose of making money, not fleeing a terrible situation.

Racists blaming immigration for wholly unrelated things, like the housing crisis, has been quite common in other rich countries, like the US and Germany.

The general high level of decency in the Irish population - racist parties have, in the past, gained under 1% of votes in elections - is one thing that has set Irish people apart from their neighbors.

So, instead of whining about bringing a handful of refugees from war torn countries to Ireland, we should start worrying about the import of racist ideologies from other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

No, they can claim asylum in any country They wish, it doesn't have to be the first country they reach.

they can only claim in one country however and can be sent back to the first country they made the claim

Genteel😂 most certainly not! I spend a lot of time in Leeds and Bradford, but less around London, and nobody I know, in the ' not genteel ' circles have any issues with immigration.

I live in Ireland, everyone feels effects of government policies. Just because I don't blame foreigners for anything that's wrong, doesn't make me unique.

I merely stated the truth about the refugees taken in from Afghanistan. They are fleeing the Taliban. The previous 20 years there, women had full rights, and yes they worked as judges, doctors, lawyers, government officials.

it's extremely ignorant of people with regards to these people to assume they are some kind of misogynistic backward race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

A "handful of refugees" you say, please be serious.

Most people don't blame immigration for the housing crisis, but immigration (at the current level) is compounding a pre-existing crisis.

And regarding the "do not let Irish people immigrate into other countries, especially if it's just for the purpose of making money, not fleeing a terrible situation" that's up to other countries to decide for themselves based on their own circumstances and priorities. And they would be entitled to do that.

Not to mention that fact that major concern for people around immigration (my own included) is those who aren't working and contributing. Try entering the US without employment and instead expect to collect social welfare and benefits and see what happens. It's hard enough as it is to get in there as it is even if you can secure work.

You do realise the Irish mainly go to Oz, US, Canada , Dubai etc- where they are allowed in if they have skills these countries want. I doubt any of these countries put them up in hotels until they get a free gaff sorted for them.

Immigration is wholly unrelated to the housing crisis - sure thing

A handful of refugees - laughable

It may be helpful to remember that the only people living in the US who are not 'immigrants' are Native Americans.

And, if we'd start thinking with a little common sense, instead of ideas coloured by racial prejudice: Regardless of where a person comes from, the percentage of intelligent people in different nationalities is virtually identical. To name just one example of commonalities.

So, if there, hypothetically, would be something like a crisis in medical care in Ireland, bringing in doctors and nurses would be helpful - regardless of which country they were trained in. Or, if they're not trained yet, take advantage of the potential that they offer, the genuine contributions to Irish society that are just waiting to be taken advantage of.

The idea that immigrants are generally ignorant, uneducated, possibly criminal, and don't want to work is racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No, I don't think what you are asking is a good idea

And again, this has nothing to do with my points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

"The idea that immigrants are generally ignorant, uneducated, possibly criminal, and don't want to work is racist."

Totally disagree with you there. We cannot say that this idea is any bit far fetched.

generally ignorant + generally ignorant - Not educated to our standard, that's totally to be acceptable given most of them come from very poor countries.

possibly criminal - No work/lack of opportunity leads to criminality in any society, its not a stretch. Take a look at Grimsby in the UK for an example or closer to home in South Hill in Limerick City. Point being, if they were not working where they originally came from there is a likelihood that at least petty crime was a fact of life. We cannot do any background checks for this in many cases as we have no idea of who many of the people are.

don't want to work - there is a good chance they never would have worked in the sense a western European would consider work. It really is a culture shock having to work 40 hours a week. Also if you arrived somewhere where you are housed in conditions much better than you came from, paid for doing nothing, fed and looked after medically why the hell would you work. These folks must feel like they have won the lotto compared to where they originally arrived from.

Post edited by thomas 123 on

OK, to just debunk one racist trope:

Here's a map of the Average Work Week in different countries:

This is literally the opposite of the misinformation you're trying to spread. People in rich, developed countries like Ireland can afford to work less than people in poor countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You see one could look at this a different way.

One could look at it as a political act specifically against the rulers of this country who are ignoring the will of the people.

Now here is the rub, the three major parties of this state all celebrate historical acts that at the time were labelled criminals acts by the then rulers of this state.

FF, FG and SF all celebrate the 1916 rising, which was dubbed a criminal act of treasonous proportions by the rulers of Ireland at the time.

And of course there were some Irish that were quick to support that view proferred by the ruling elite.

We always had our Quisling classes.

FF, FG celebrate the war of independence and all the resulting violence which again was labelled as criminal acts by the rulers of Ireland at the time.

SF celebrate some other acts that were even labelled as criminal by everyone including elected Irish governments.

Now of course you can argue the rulers of Ireland at the time of 1916 and 1919-1921 were the British and did not have the support of the people.

And they were not elected unlike the current rulers.

But then again when did the Irish people give the go ahead to plant foreigners in every disused hotel, B&B, unused school, former nursing home, etc etc throughout this country.

I never recall that pledge being in any election manifesto put before the people of Ireland.

Hence I say the current rulers, albeit elected by the people of Ireland, are now acting against the best interests of the people of Ireland and without the express permission of the people of Ireland.

They should no longer be viewed as the legitimate government of Ireland.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

I think the Government's lack of leadership is really coming to the forefront now.

They seem to be walking on eggshells which at this stage is irking a majority in this country imo.

No amounts of spending or tax breaks will sweep these issues like immigration and public safety, health or housing under the carpet.

The hard questions need to be answered in all the above topics unfortunately FF, FG,SF and LB are too scared to take risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

There is an awful amount of data missing on this map including the numbers surveyed but as the author says himself:

" It is likely that work weeks in the low-income and least-developed countries are the longest of all, at least for those people who can find work, but reputable data are often difficult to obtain."

When you dive into it country by country it paints a much different picture. Look at the labour market participation in the sub Saharan countries that they have records for.

Eg: https://ilostat.ilo.org/data/africa/

Obviously this cant be blamed on any individual arriving into the country, they can't choose where they were born or what level of education they have or what prospects they have ahead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

Afghanistan. They are fleeing the Taliban. The previous 20 years there, women had full rights, and yes they worked as judges, doctors, lawyers, government officials.

According to Amnesty International, in the 20 years after the last Taliban rule ended, discrimination against women continued to be rife in society. In 2011 Afghanistan was named the most dangerous country to be a woman. "women who do attempt to speak out or take on public roles that challenge ingrained gender stereotypes of what is acceptable for women to do or not, such as working as policewomen or news broadcasters, are often intimidated or killed" 

Maybe you should gen up on a few facts before accusing others of being ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

You're making this about race when it isn't. It's wouldn't even matter if hypothetically everyone was racist because the real issue is about limited resources. When refugees are sleeping on the streets we have a problem.

Btw, limitations on immigration benefits everyone here, not just the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

If you take a look at every other country that's gone down this route you will get a definitive answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Misinformation.

There was ONE female judge, during the monarchy of Mohammad Zahir Shah.

There were a couple of female cabinet ministries, but these were tokenistic appointees that were connected to the ruling elite. While the vast majority of women within the country enjoyed no such public access nor rights, and still lived under Sharia law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Afghanistan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement