Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,390 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In 2017, there were 930 deportation orders signed but only 140 – or 15 per cent – of them were actually “effected”.

For 2019, the Minister for Justice signed off on 1,468 separate deportation orders but just 299 of them were executed, a rate of 20 per cent.

Source for that is the department of justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Central back have just predicted the economy to shrink next year.

Buckle up, we are only at the beginning lads….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Thats a fair point, I meant to say “many” as that’s how the Garda National Immigration Bureau referred to it as - “many individuals” and “a very significant number of these individuals”.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2023-11-22/120/

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

but our economy is the biggest in europe or something to that effect, we have a great GDP so I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Not shrink - economic growth to merely slow down between now and 2026, nothing dramatic :

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭rgossip30

The government don't how many actually returned do you know ? So if they leave and return home it shows they were false claims .

Post edited by rgossip30 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

In an answer to a question in the Dail the Minister for justice said “The Garda National Immigration Bureau has reviewed a large sample of the cases from last year who were subject to deportation orders. Their inquiries suggest a very significant number of these individuals have left the State.” They may have given a more specific answer elsewhere.

Those places of accommodation could have been used to house rent paying Irish or EU workers . The government made it more lucrative to house refugees at considerable cost . These refugees are new after time dissent will fester.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

So how do you check this out if they have not got any kind of Identification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I like Michael McDowell's opinions on this, he wrote a good article (behind a paywall unfortunately) in May.

Basically, our current laws around refugees and claiming asylum were intended the solve the problems seen during and after the second world war. We didn't have welfare systems in the same way as we do today. At that time people were not getting on planes to Europe and destroying their documents. People were not taking risky boat journeys for economic reasons. There weren't people "fleeing" Zimbabwe to South Africa, working for 6 years there according to LinkedIn, then flying to Ireland on a fake SA passport and claiming asylum. The system wasn't intended for that type of thing. It makes sense that Ukrainians come to Europe when fleeing a war (and it was mostly women and children). It doesn't make sense that people come here from the other side of the world, passing through multiple safe countries (although it is legal currently). I think this needs to change.

There are those who believe in open borders, which is a valid view, I don't agree with it and I don't think the majority do either. These people view immigration purely from an emotional point of view. On the other side you have people who disregard the emotion and view it purely from the practical point of view. Most people are somewhere in the middle. Immigration has been great for Ireland and will continue to be ... if we have the right type of immigration. We don't need unskilled/low skilled workers from outside the EU.

Hopefully Thomas and Walsh hold onto their morals and stick by their comments.

Perhaps Michael Martin should go back to a few years back when he stated "we can't be be a country with open borders and migration must be very limited to migrants outside of the EU ".

Noel Thomas on RTE this morning, well worth a listen.

I'm thinking that we might be seeing a bit of fight back against this out of touch government.

Ireland is a low corp tax country and by flooding the country with immigrants they keep wages low. Its a big win for business owners and for those involved in the immigration business. I actually think it was smart how they won over the left to this idea, as in the past they were against it. It's also a big win for house owners and landlords, with little supply and huge demand driving up prices and rents. The only problem is the people who resist it, also known as far right racists apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Not true at all ,they would only show up on a list if they were identified

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Brave man going on there given the grilling they give anyone who suggests unlimited immigration isn’t a great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭20silkcut

And they bring their crap misogynist attitudes with them and use them in their dealings with Irish women. I know of one or two landlady’s who have had extremely negative interactions with these guys who have no respect or regard for them because of their sex. It’s completely unacceptable. The concept of a woman holding any position of authority or responsibility even just in charge of a guest house is completely alien to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

France tightening immigration now. That's France, UK , Holland, Sweden , Denmark n probably more recently.

Who's left- Ireland. Better order more bunk beds Roderick! Now, repeat after me - international obligations!

https://www.rte.ie/news/europe/2023/1220/1422969-french-immigration-bill/

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

Come on Ireland...Follow France's lead and follow suit immediately. 5 years to get housing if unemployed and illegal. Commit a crime and be expelled. Make it easier to deport people. Is it that hard Ireland, no!

https://www.rte.ie/news/europe/2023/1220/1422969-french-immigration-bill/

I think he's just had enough of the bulls£@t. The presenter was fairly taken back on his comment about Drew Harris and his thoughts on MM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Unlimited immigration?

Those who support that need to be asked how many Ireland should take in next year - 1 million, 2 million, 5 million?. There's a limit to everything and even the government have asked people not to seek refuge in Ireland because we've no where to place them. These people in the media just spout the party line from FF/FG and the person most responsible for this unlimited crap is Micheal Martin, who once held views which involved serious limitation on the number of immigrants Ireland could take and yet has now done a full 180 degree turn to unlimited immigration because he wants a job in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Mary Lou trying to link the burning of Martin Kenny’s car a few yrs ago to the migrant issue.chancer.as bad as ffg.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Absolute bluster and BS from ML McDonald this morning.

I have zero confidence that SF can effectively manage the immigration system.

The only difference at the moment is FF FG Labour, Greens have proven beyond doubt they cannot manage the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Absolutely SPOT ON! And we the people of Ireland, our children and grandchildren will suffer. Not Micheal Martin or Leo Varadker or any of our media stars who preach at us ordinary folk to be generous and provide a roof over these migrants heads (in our own small rural towns).

Note there are no migrants in Malahide, no Direct Provision centres, the Grand Hotel in Malahide hasn't been taken over by bus loads of single men in the middle of the night. Why? Because Malahide is home of our Housing Minister Darragh O Brien! It has amazing bus links, a train station, beaches, parks, shops, tennis and cricket, Avoca, Malahide Castle............an absolutely perfect spot for migrants as they have everything they need on their doorstep!!

Instead they are bussed under cover of darkness to remote rural locations where there is absolutely nothing to do, nowhere to go, no public transport, no amenities, no entertainment. This is a recipe for disaster!

Darragh O Brien should be asked about this over and over and over again!!! Why not Malahide (or Dalkey, Foxrock?) what is different about those places? This is creating a 2 tier system within our own country and its infuriating ordinary decent hard working people! Next year is going to be very interesting in the face of a general election, how are the Government going to turn this around into votes ? It should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Cost would be one reason why they aren't in Dalkey, Malahide or Foxrock wouldn't it? Would you like them to pay for hotel rooms in Killiney?

They are housed in Dun Laoghaire and Bray by the way, which are not far from Dalkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

Ain't no e150 off the ESB bill next budget gonna fix this for the government in the election!

Must be a lot of back bench TDs thinking of jumping ship, I'd say they are getting an earful off constituents.

Early election? Another year of this is gonna cost the government huge numbers of votes.

I agree with this, but who have we to vote for to change this. I was always a Sinn fein supporter and really thought that they might be different but this last year or so has really shown them for what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I suppose the fella from Zimbabwe in the link below must be a figment of our imagination.

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/2023/06/16/zimbabwe-triple-murder-suspect-arrested-in-ireland-after-two-years-on-run/

I do recall posters here and the media blaming the far right for making up the story before It was verified.

Their is just one example of a murderer fleeing to Ireland and entering due to how we handle immigration.

Thankfully he didn't get the chance to murder any innocent civilian in ireland while he roamed our streets.

You could only imagine how many criminals are walking among our streets currently who shouldn't be here.

But you seem very happy to take the risk of letting people who we can't verify into the country and fingers crossed they don't harm anyone here.

While sensible people would say that's not a risk we should take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Mary Lou is playing the same game as Keir Starmer in the UK. She's agreeing with extremist policies (and bringing in over 100,000+ immigrants in one year to Ireland with no where to safely place them is not only extreme but irresponsible) like Starmer does with tory policies so that she cannot have the likes of "Where's your humanity?" thrown at her by the likes of Martin and the FF/FG Irish media.

In fairness I don't really blame her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Basically open borders.

Get here, we educate you, put you up, get you a job and you get to be a citizen.

So why would anyone bother going through a VISA application process?

I am not allowed discuss …

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement