Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Not really. The article I linked with the figures last night gave some reasons for the decline - increased Garda presence to check passengers disembarking at airports and deploying gardaí to some foreign airports. I would expect that to continue and as I said - I believe last years large numbers were mostly down to covid travel restrictions being lifted. Plus, our historical low first-time asylum applicants compared to the rest of the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

So given the big difference in the population size of us compared to those other countries we are taking in far more in proportion, especially compared to France, agreed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Let’s see if the reality aligns to your expectations.

Fine, if I'm wrong I'll have no problem in admitting it. The notion that the large numbers were mostly down to covid travel restrictions being lifted is an opinion, it could be wrong. We shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Hamachi

And you’re absolutely entitled to hold that opinion.

I’m pleased that we’ve established that the 2.5 fold decrease was categorically not a statement of fact for CY ‘23.

• Advertisement

Hang on, I never presented anything as a fact for CY ‘23, so that needn't be established.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

So we can agree when you said you provided me links before you were mistaken.

A poster made several statements without any links to support those statements.

When someone asks them to provide links it is not asking to be spoonfeed, it is asking someone to provide proof for statements they made.

Something that is very common on here if you are not aware.

I have no idea why you jumped in on a discussion with nothing to do with you in the first case unless you had these links to provide.

Which evidently you do not so it was pointless to involve yourself, please provide the links and i will take a look.

You told me you gave me the links, you told me they are in the thread and you want me to read them.

If you want me to read something then please pass the links as I am not searching a thread for links you should be able to provide very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

The above boils my blood. I went through the process for a parent in 2017 and it was pretty straightforward at the time. Occupational Therapist come out to house and assesses what adaptations are required. This report is sent to the local authority along with contractors quote and they confirm grant will be paid and give go ahead for work to commence. Contractor does the work and their bill is forwarded to local authority. Grant is paid to client. The entire thing from assessment to payment was completed within a month.

610 people (as of early June 2023) in just one county and that county is the 17th most populous on the island of Ireland. It’s also very probable that many of those 610 (in just Louth) are currently taking up an acute hospital bed or rehabilitation hospital bed as they cannot be released until their homes are adapted.

These issues are our priority and it’s so **** maddening that all resources (financial and manpower) have been diverted to look after people who may or may not be entitled to be here in the first place whilst 610 in Louth have now become 2nd class citizens in their own country. 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I think our migrant policy is not too bad but the process of asylum seeking is way too long, other countries can do this in a much shorter period.

of course, we have a different legal system, so our courts are different. A dedicated court dealing with appeals could be an idea.

I think we could possibly have a hybrid of @Goldengirl idea about remote applications and then of DP centres where persons showing up can be housed until their claims are dealt with.

lots of EU countries require residents to register, once they are living there, I believe they should being this in here.

Perhaps we also need to issue more visas for unskilled labour, like hospitality work etc?

one policy that Finland has, is that everyone moving permanently into the country must take Finnish language classes for at least 6 months. very important IMO. And not just English classes, but a general overview of the country might be a good idea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭mikethecop

coz that what i said is it ? ffs cant you ever make an honest effort at the topic instead of the petty childish crap all the time ? its like you have a vested interest in shutting down any discussion that doesnt suit you specific agenda or are you just here to harass and annoy coz there is a name for that ya know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,800 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Got any evidence for "quite a few of those arriving here are the local warlords with machine guns" then?

a pattern in BOTH the posts in this thread ?

just saying what ive seen first hand.

Mike, that's only 1 fella, not quite a few. Got more? There's also absolutely nothing in that report about a machine gun, or a gun, or a firearm, or a weapon.

Is Omar Bin Laden barred from obtaining a travel visa? Did he travel to and in Ireland with a machinegun? No.

Ibrahim Buisir did not assault Gars with a machinegun either

The Algerian is before the courts at time of print and professing his innocence, this is prejudicial. No machinegun.

That's from 2017 and the lad was deported. No mention of a firearm again.

Clearly all your bluster was, as I suggested in my earlier posts, bunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Russian isis Fighter currently claiming asylum here has he doesn't want to face Russian courts

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

On the contrary.

In your original post you stated as fact false information about numbers of those refugees in relation to Ireland

When called out on it, all you have done is berate and insult posters who asked you to clarify.

That poster you are addressing now, did the sums on the correct numbers and all you have done in reply is deflection by insult and attack.

If you have stats and figures produce them otherwise it is just your opinion.

Opinions are fine as long as someone knows that is what they are and not given with misinformation, and they can be challenged by others who have differing opinions, some of whom are backed up by fact.

What you are doing is not backing your opinions up and attacking others when you are challenged.

Nonody has to change or refute anothers opinion but you cannot misrepresent facts, or misquote others to suit your purpose.

Yes ' she' did say that UK was short of.. not refugees , as you claim , but migrants.

They have shortages in every area of industry and services exacerbated by Brexit and their current migrant policy.

This is well documented and causing problems for their economy.

This was discussed here a few days ago.

Go back a few pages and read the thread.. You might learn something which is always a plus.

Also she did not say that 'the majority of migrants were doctors etc as you claim in a post to another, in a belittling manner.

What she said was that those fleeing from Afghanistan numbered quite a few professions and civil servants.

If you don' t understand why, I refer you to again the UK policy of migration where many key workers were left behind and left to apply from a place of danger as refugees to that country.

@Strazdas has posted a link which outlines this policy and the horrendous effect it has had on genuine refugees Other countries have been affected with larger refugee numbers directly as a result of this policy , including Ireland. Many are coming here now as they are English speaking and wish to bring their families to safety.

All of this information is being posted by interesting people who want to discuss and not just catfight. Obviously it gets heated sometimes but your carryon here has been an example to all of how not to debate .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I see your first reply was not to me so I edited the post.

Likewise .

Google the faqs from the Irish Refugee council as you have been advised before by me in my first post to you , instead of constantly barraging other posters with questions which have been answered over and over on the thread .

This is just time wasting .

Or read the thread .

I won't reply to you again .

Edited there for you .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

Unfortunately due to reasons I cannot discuss, I cannot reply to this post in the manner befitting it.

However I will say this, what is wrote in that post is completely and irrefutably wrong.

And I am factually correct.

Regards,

Delusiondestroyer

Aha alright ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Google Irish refugee council 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Said their faqs , which are the same , by the way , on the Citizens Information, if you prefer .

They are not printing misinformation , if that is what your hilarity is about .

Their info is checked and verified before printing unlike some other sites .

Or CSO .

But maybe you don't trust any official site .

Now that is funny ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

To all the people who support no cap on the numbers of asylum seekers coming to Ireland I suggest this…

Take them into your own home, find any space for as many people as possible, clothe them, feed them and provide them with a bit of pocket money. You don’t know who any of them are, don’t know any of their backgrounds and potentially don’t even know what country they are actually from and when you inevitably run out of all conceivable space you could build a shed out the back to house more and when more and more show up looking for a safe haven and when you will inevitably run out of space to build any more “modular housing” I suggest that you should be fined by the government for not being able to take anymore in.

This is the madness which is analogous to what is happening now on the bigger stage of the national level.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The vast majority of people entering the state are 'legal' migrants i.e. returning Irish emigrants and foreign nationals coming here to work. It's estimated that only one in ten entrants in a given year is an asylum seeker, sometimes even lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

• Advertisement

• 9% (952) were refused, for reasons such as their asylum claim being ‘clearly unfounded’, or the claimant not meeting the requirements for refugee status or other forms of leave
    • 29% (2,994) of applications were not considered on third country grounds – this means that the UK will not consider the asylum claim (and will instead seek the person’s removal to a safe third country), because the applicant was present or had a connection to a safe third country where they could reasonably have been expected to claim asylum before reaching the UK

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement