Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

As my teenage kids say, you sound like a "pick-me". This is Boards. Nobody is asking you to be quiet. I didn't see anyone calling you fascist or far right. I think those terms are meaningless in many ways. Maybe I missed it, ignore them. I try not to label people, I am just curious about their opinions and knowledge levels. I detest misinformation.

Disgraceful carry-on indeed 😂

I do think we have major problems with our whole immigration policy/system/process but I hold our inept government completely to blame. They never had a plan or a comms strategy and know nothing about change management.

The burning of a hotel in Galway made me angry because it was a very stupid and narrow minded act. I live nearby and have heard about the likely culprit. A few sandwiches short of a picnic from all accounts with some crazy notions in other domains. I won't pass judgement until it's proven.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Very few posts on this thread, and indeed chatter in the media is about people born abroad coming to Ireland on working visas etc. This has been going on for a long time in Ireland without anything except minor issues (and continues to do so to this day overwhelmingly)

Most of the conversation, and indeed discourse in public, is about the absolute shitshow that Roderic O'Gorman and his Department have overseen since early 2021. The reasons are debated at length on this thread, but as I've been saying here for months, it's now starting to boil over and enter mainstream political debate.

And given there's pockets of anger right around the country, in every constituency, I have a feeling when election canvassing commences shortly it'll become even more public.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Their fingerprints and photographs are taken.

We have access to the SIS system, a europewide database.

Anyone with warrants or wanted in Europe will be flagged. Anyone who have previously applied for asylum in another European country, will be flagged.

There appears to be a very strange obsession with foreign rapists on this thread, hate to inform you, most rapes are committed by someone known to the victim.

Four in ten people in Ireland have said they were victims of sexual violence, one in five women have been raped, almost 80% of those knew the perpetrator. Very few actually report their attacks, even fewer still get to court, or end up in convictions.

So, if you think about it, that's a hell of a lot of rapists ( mostly Irish) , walking around Ireland.......

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

This is a small red herring, although disembarking with no documentation should have serious consequences imo - it would send a message to traffickers and chancers. If you board a plane or ship you obviously must have documentation. There are some legitimate fears for producing those documents, but if you are a genuine asylum seeker capable of purchasing a ticket and travelling through airports and presenting yourself for asylum, you will be aware of the criteria.

But in reality, over two thirds of asylum applications are made at the office - not at ports. In 2019 half of applications were at the office. Quite the increase. There is no way of knowing how long they have been here (and who is genuine, many are) - you could land a year ago on a visit/visa and call into the IPO to claim asylum tomorrow, citing no documentation and giving false information. A ridiculously lax and dangerous system - all at the feet of the government.

And in November 22, the government introduced an accelerated asylum application procedure for asylum seekers from designated safe countries;

This is most definitely above and beyond our obligations to the 1951 treaty. Bizarre policy.. just baffling and the only justification is that ‘other EU nations are doing it’.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

We emigrated. So that means we need to heed the following. All buzzwords from the righteous.

1. International obligations.
    2. Population Density.
    3. IP Centres in little towns and villages. Shure the craic is great, the multiculturalism is wiping out any misgivings. They’re hoovering up the town trinkets and local porducts to send ‘wish you were here’ gifts home. Record profits.
    4. All the pro heal the world immigration posters answer a response with a question. Reminds of the smart alec’s that sat at the front of class.

Some mental responses on this thread but the ones i fear the most are the ones that don’t have a problem with it, they are the ones with the biggest agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Are you telling me this happens or are you sumising this happens.

If you seriously believe this is being carried out then good for you. There was an example in I think Drogheda not so long ago of a lad wanted somewhere but this lad might not of had fingers.

I agree about the sexual violence but you seem to have no bother maybe adding to it or worse.

Did you see the video of the lads jumping out of the back of the lorry. That lorry driver should of been sacked if he didn't get there finger prints.

This country is a total basket case when it comes to immigration control and I would go ad far as to say we have none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Ahwell

You seem to blind to your hypocrisy here. Moaning about being labelled just after labelling the posters whose posts you don’t agree with as having to be “employed in one of the many charities involved with refugees” or “having skin in the game” as others are putting it. Thereby implying, some selfish or alternative motive because they simply don’t agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭MagicJohn

Golly Gee, Maybe something do with Jimmy from Ukraine being kept in a life of comparative luxury (courtesy of the taxpayer) compared to the natives on the dole.

Irish Jimmy didn't get handouts in the USA.

No questions about Irish Jimmy being a draft dodger either.

I'm telling you that happens. When anyone applies for asylum, their fingerprints and photographs are taken. Everyone is checked on the SIS database. Do you not believe that?

your example isn't full of details is it? What was his status? Where did he come into the country? Is he entitled to be here? It's pointless telling us someone, somewhere was wanted for something somewhere.

How exactly are we adding to the sexual violence here?

as for 'lads jumping out of lorries' they are illegal immigrants, smuggled into the country. Nothing to do with asylum seekers. They are a big issue, imo, as we need to know who is here. Of course, we don't know who is here from the UK or EU either.

Agreed. We should totally close her up until we as a country show even the slightest sign of taking immigration serious. The way this government handles or should I say doesn't handle and hasn't a clue about border control or illegal immigration must make us a laughing stock .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Actually a lot of Jimmys from Ireland joined the services in the countries they emigrated to even at times of war.

Hell I have had relatives that served in British Army and US military during WWII.

Of course we in little old Ireland always have to be different and throw out the welcome mat for the draft dodging Jimmys.

I am not allowed discuss …

Your wasting your time.

The dogs in the street know our immigration control is reminiscent of the keystone cops

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But what is the alternative? You cannot legally deport someone on arrival if there is no destination country to deport them to. Let's say they came on a flight from Germany....the Irish authorities have no right to deport a group of people there without the express permission of German border control or immigration at the other end (which will clearly not be forthcoming).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

I'm not sure which group you're more irritated with, the refugees who've come here because their lives have been blown to hell and are getting a stipend from the State or the unemployed EU or Irish citizen claiming their stipend/dole so they can survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

So how come you have such intimate knowledge of the process and you can state with such authority what is done?

Also I would safely bet as someone that is such a devout proponent and poster on this topic you know the story of the guy in Dundalk all too well.

Somali born Abdisalan Abdulkadir Yusuf had fled Sweden after receiving prison sentence for attack on a police officer during riots about koran burning in Denmark.

This would be the Sweden that had offered him and his family asylum.

And no he fooking wasn't entitled to be here and most sane Swedes would probably agree he shouldn't be there either.

Now talking about adding to the sexual violence here.

Would you consider the sexually motivated murder of two gay men in Sligo and the attempted murder of a third by a refugee/asylum seeker to our country to be adding to the sexual violence?

If not him what about the Fillipino rapist in Donegal?

Or perhaps the Eritrean young man jailed for 7 years for rape of woman in Dublin city centre park and fact he was not deported 7 years later?

Or what about the Nigerian care home worker that it is believed raped countless vulnerable women in his care?

What about the Egyptian that followed a woman from Dublin to Carlow to her home and raped her?

Or how about the Pakistani guy that claimed in his country it was basically ok to have sex with down syndrome women?

Now we all know that we unfortunately have our fair share of home grown rapists and scumbags but what baffles me is how some have no problem adding to it.

Even weirder is how it transpires they are protected from being deported afterwards.

Hell we might even see here what transpired in Uk and Sweden where gobshytes on a plane prevented rapists being deported.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Incorrect. Ireland does not participate in SIS or VIS for immigration purposes. And an asylum applicants photo is not taken at the airport, although fingerprints are.

We use Eurodac, which has acknowledged limitations.

Why did we opt out of using SIS for background checks at point of entry for asylum seekers? Another bizarre decision..

For reference, bottom of pg 51 of this document;

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

I've a feeling this issue is going to absolutely explode in 2024, especially if tougher migrant laws in UK and France cause an even bigger surge of IP into Ireland. It may torpedo the coming referendum, and it may prevent SF getting into power if Independents and new parties steal their core vote. It's the SF core vote by the way that are really seeing the brunt of this and absolutely fuming at the leadership. Think of people relying on tourism for their income in Donegal, Monaghan, Kerry etc. Not sure Mary-Lou can show her face in East Wall these days, who would have thought that 18 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

Possibly, especially as the government and opposition parties have made it clear that we are front of the queue for taking in asylum seekers. As I have said before, if things in Gaza continue to go downhill, we may have to take in more than a hundred thousand Palestinians in a very short period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Which ironically not a single Arab/Muslim State have offered to do. Which might tell us something.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭MagicJohn

Work it out grasshopper and many of those coming here haven't had their lives blown to hell as you say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Post edited by StudentDad on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

You are completely right, unfortunately certain posters here are completely in agreement with the idea that we are obligated to take in and house all comers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Ahwell

You’re only half right. I don’t see it as a problem, but my pay cheque has absolutely nothing to do with immigration of any sort. If you want to continue with this line of bullshit knock yourself out, but it is bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I think it's important that anyone interested in this topic reads up on the history of Palestinian "refugees" and their impact on destination countries.

Such research would aid understanding of why surrounding Arab states restrict them, and why it would be a terrible idea for naive, abused Ireland to receive them.

Also, as a consistent anti-mass immigration poster on these boards for some years, recent months have seen the emergence of what certainly smell like salaried/sponsored contributers and contributions.

Ironic, given all the noise we hear from establishment conformists about "Russian Trolls" and other nebulous "Far Right" influences.

The biggest issues I see is the rise in racism and far right ideology. A particular rise in arson of perfectly decent accommodation. What other serious issues are there?

Thankfully these things are monitored closely.

I have nothing to do with immigration into this country. It's a sad reflection of posters that they believe everyone has issues with foreigners. Most of the country don't. They don't need to be involved in immigration matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

What poster has said they believe everyone has issues with foreigners?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I know. There's a cohort of posters who are insulted that not everyone agrees with them so are going on all sorts of mad conspiracies about posters here working for NGOs to post here.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LongfordMB

Im curious do you pick and choose which illegal activities you agree or disagree with? Burning one's passport in order to defraud the irish state of welfare and accommodation would be illegal activity im sure you agree.

• Advertisement

You know you in a corner when you start your post citing racism and far right when none is the issue in the discussion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement