Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Alot of the arseholes I encountered begging and being a nuisance going by their accents were definitely not born and bred in Dublin. You can keep your modem living if this is what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

It comes back around to policing, unfortunately. Blaming migrants for the issues is all too easy and trying to chuck migrants out of the country won't fix the problems we have here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

It doesnt have to be "blaming" anyone. But saying that an increase in population from 3.5 million in 1990, to 5.3 million in 2023 has NO impact on housing is either lying or stupidity.

Yeah probably so as every migrant coming here is coming to work and support themselves,as you probably think yourself, must be alot of night shifts around the country because there's a massive majority with free time during the day. Is begging a job description in a certain cohurt.

Your correct. Massive problems in this country. Crime, health, housing, education every service. So should we not have shut the door along time ago and only take in people with the skills to tackle the issues and then take migrants who are in need of services. Would that not be the sensible way instead of just adding to the problems we have.

• Advertisement

The way forward is to invest. Not more steak dinner taxes, sitting around talking about doing things. Actually doing things. Not enough houses? We should have been building houses before we needed houses. The same with the rail networks etc. The infrastructure in this country is frankly, crap. Council/Affordable Houses etc etc. People who have the legal right to be here are free to do so, fellow EU citizens, migrants from outside the EU on work visas. Although, given the cost of living here, you'd wonder why. There will always be illegal migration, it's life and unless you want to turn this country into a fortress/gulag we can't seal off the country like a biscuit tin. We'd all suffocate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭riddles

That would have required taking a decision and following through on that decision with clear planning and commitment for outcome based execution.

Our political system has neither the mandate or indeed skill set for any of the above.

We have a massive problem funding our social welfare commitment into the medium something known for well over decade and the current profligate spending is simply exacerbating this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

What has any of this got to do with illegal migrants and unmanageable amounts of Ukrainian refugees?

Like honestly it's just pure deflectary whataboutery. We have and always will have issues with infrastructure/services etc. Same as every western country.

It's a completely separate issue. It's akin to my wife telling me she's moving her entire extended family into our home and when I question it she starts giving out about the DIY list I still haven't gotten too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Have you been to a Muslim country or even an Arab district in France, I highly recommend you do some travelling to these places but make sure you go alone without a male companion, you’ll love it.

my daughter did an Erasmus year in France, wandered into an Arab area alone when she first arrived, she never did it again. She brought me there when I went to visit her and it was strange that there wasn’t a single young unmarried woman to be seen on the streets, just men and the odd obviously married woman. I’ve been to Muslim majority northern India and it’s a very strange place.

I met two English women in Marrakech who wouldn’t dare leave their hotel without me to accompany them such was the incessant unwanted attention they were getting.

We are not talking ‘other nationalities’ but different cultures alien to ours in their treatment of women ( I won’t go into attitudes to LBGT people in this post)

They are not separate issues. If the infrastructure etc had been properly managed we wouldn't be in this mess. So, we need to fix that.

Regarding Ukranians etc nothing is unmanageable. Burning down hotels in the west of Ireland certainly doesn't help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You really don't get it, do you?? Hopeless case.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Don't let the three usual suspects on this thread divert the conversation onto immigration and race in the broadest sense. They feel safe on that ground because they can pull the racist card or talk about public services etc.

The issue specifically is the completely fraudulent and abused asylum / IP system. Nothing to do with race, or with the legal migrants coming on a work visa. The issue should always be about the legality of IP applicants fraudulent claims for asylum and the pull factors from our incompetent government in attracting them here. And its that which should be brought up on the doorsteps in the coming elections.

So you think we should have been building infrastructure for an unforseen war in Europe or social media driven mass migrations from Africa?

You're not making sense I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

People can accept illegal migration. But at this volume? No. I’ve walked down O’Connell Street, I don’t work to far from it and I have said to myself on plenty of occasions what the actual ****? I’m not racist. I’m not fearful. I’m not far right. I’m definitely don’t have an inferior complex like some of the expert resident posters here think other posters have. I have non Irish married into my extended family but actually walk around City Centre and some of the larger towns you would ask yourself how did this change so fast? We have a problem with housing, yea. Neo Liberalism policy’s from Fine Gael have made sure of that. But folk are just plain ignorant if they believe that the massive increase in population mainly non irish born of what ever description, Ukrainian, IP, Migrant Visa Worker, Brazilian English language Student, EU citizen hasn’t had a negative effect on the housing Market.

People are fearful, they are allowed to be without been villified. It’s a natural human instinct. They have a right to question this, what ever about the city, personally hate it as it’s a kip. But small town’s and communities.

As for house building, we’ll never build enough at this rate. Never. All of the narrative from Goverment feels like the water charges and austerity all over again. Telling citizens and taxpayers to shut up and uput up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No it's not exactly fun at 6.30 in the morning or spending 2 hours a day driving back and forward. Not my idea of fun anyway. YMMV.

Particularly as their older siblings had no great problems sourcing manageable rentals near college. But that was 10 years ago.

So when I'm in the car and I hear some eejit on Morning Ireland lecturing me on the obligations of the Irish State to provide accommodation to every loo laa that turns up in Dublin airport claiming asylum, you can understandably excuse the choice words I explete.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Scar001

No, we should be building and planning for the future and future population growth. These wars and the sudden influx of people who need our help, in this case Ukranians, (future EU citizens), has just flagged how crap our public infrastructure is. Telling them to bugger off back where they came from does nothing to solve the problem, either for us with the insane property prices etc or the people relying on us for help.

Theyre completely engineered though, there's nothing organic about them. How do you plan for that?

You wouldn't tell your children to put themselves into unmanageable debt to buy a 20 bedroom house just incase they ever want to house an orphanage but you're claiming that's how we should be running the country.

Nonsensical ideological guff.

Yeah, it sucks. The cost of living etc. The plain fact is though that we do have an obligation to refugees and asylum seekers.

The fact that the country is the way it is isn't their fault and won't improve if we tell them to bugger off.

The only way things will change is when the structural issues here are sorted. Issues we developed all by ourselves.

Nope, we have mismanaged this country to the point where the cost of living is insane etc etc. Nothing to do with migrants. If by engineered you mean Russia invaded Ukraine? Then yes, it's engineered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Scar001

Added to the fact if you're Ukrainian you get your college fees paid and a grand in your arse pocket every month. Highly insulting to the taxpayer with college going kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

But I thought you told us yesterday that every person gets fingerprinted coming into Ireland, emphasising on you claiming every single case.

How in the name of God if he was fingerprinted did they not see he was wanted for murder?

If the system worked then a man wanted for a triple murder wouldn't be freely walking our streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

There isn't enough accommodation for any more people. There are more people seeking to rent accommodation than there is availability. Our domestic construction industry cannot keep up with the demand that is there whether it's building new rentals or building new buyer homes. Keeping immigration levels at current intake numbers is going to put further pressure on rental prices and availability for buyers. It's insane not to stop immigration altogether. A ten year stop at least it needed to allow for infrastructure to catch up.

15,000 a year is adding a new Tullamore to the state every year and that is just IP applicants - nevermind other EU citizens coming here. We cannot manage this - it's impossible. It just needs to stop. A major overhaul is needed. EU citizens currently living here on welfare need to go back home. We have to free up accommodation within the existing stock. A root and branch review is required and speedily too. As you say, "issues we developed all by ourselves", this is how to start sorting it out. Undo the damage, Ctrl+Z.

Not to sound glib but how many of these people coming in from Ukraine are builders or architects or quantity surveyors? Etc etc.

Yes the whole thing is a mess. However, we can't tell 'em to bugger off and even if we do it won't solve anything.

I've said before that in terms of wealth distribution, from where I'm sitting anyway. We're going back to the 19th century. The migrant issue is just pointing torches into areas of Irish life that some would prefer to remain unhighlighted.

The obligations of the Irish state are to the Irish people. We have been by and large overly generous to everyone who has come to these shores, we cannot and should not do any more - we have given enough.

If that upsets other governments around Europe - so be it. The days of pandering to 'look good' in the eyes of others is over - an inferior mindset to ever hold anyways. If Macron or Von der Leyen are tut tutting we shouldn't give two hoots about it as we pay more into the EU than we get back. As a fully paid up member we call the shots on what happens here, not them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

We have 500,000 irish adults living with their parents and thousands of irish kids leaving each year.

We should start by building houses to accommodate those irish tax paying citizens before building houses for anyone else.

Very few if any I would imagine have the skill sets that the Irish labour market requires. It is indeed a mess - so lets stop making it messier and clean up what mess we have before adding any more numbers that we simply cannot sustain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

You do reap what you so when it comes to public services and decades of shoddy government. Our health system is always at full capacity and that's why we get a trolley crisis every year when there is a any surge at all. We have the worse capacity and staff-patient ratio than any other country in the EU. FFG destroyed the housing market and then stopped building social housing altogether. They promised to reform planning in the 1990s after a 300m tribunal. Our public transport levels must be the worst in the EU. Waiting lists. Mental health services. Clerical abuse whitewashes. The list goes on.

I am often reminded of the homeless crisis that dominated the news for decades before the immigration crisis took over. We were always told there weren't enough social housing projects or hostels for the homeless but the problem was actually ignored completely by FFG. The worst point for me was when a homeless person died of exposure and Enda Kenny did a walkabout (with plenty of press) and declared that he was shocked at the levels of homelessness in Dublin. Shocked? The prick was "shocked" at the levels of homelessness after 30 years of being a TD in the Dail. Has he never noticed it before? How had he not seen it? Why weren't homeless Irish given special protection and houses in hotels etc. It was all optics and spoof. I had voted for FG for a long time but I stopped after 2011. They were as dishonest and self serving as FF.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Indeed. We also have a fair number of EU citizens here living in social housing and on welfare. They need to be served with removal orders. If you cannot sustain yourself here, back to your homeland. This would free up housing for Irish people.

• Advertisement

Or maybe how about allowing these people coming in to help get this place to where it needs to be?

There are large questions surrounding wealth distribution. Such as why as one poster above mentions that half a million adult children stuck at home. This place needs to invest in it's infrastructure and it's people and I imagine the people coming in would not be averse to improving things either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement