Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Jesus christ common sense will tell even the silliest person that you will never ever solve the issues whilst carrying on with this silly open borders migration.

The way our towns and cities are going it will be an outside toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Has anyone asked what the FF/FG plan is (now quit laughing everyone) when we inevitably hit turbulent economic times or, worse, another 2008 style economic crash?

How will we pay for those good folk who just don't feel like working (God bless 'em)?

I think you would get a far better laugh asking some posters on here who seem to think we're able to feed and shelter the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

somewhere in the middle is the truth. I believe it was part ego and part inferiority complex (the inferiority complex that one of the posters here keeps pointing out). Ireland was always trying to be billy big balls.

It was absolute madness and nativity to offer the ukranians what we offered them. it was also madness to state we would take in 200k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I never said anything about fingerprints on EU citizens, i said it was mentioned we have a system where we can check if they have a conviction using their documentation.

Can a criminal be placed to live somewhere and then move to somewhere else where we don't then know where they are?

If the answer is yes then your claim that we know exactly where they are is a lie.

If the answer is no then explain how we know exactly where they are.

A number of FF/FG politicians (Martin and Varadkar included) are on record stating that there is NO LIMIT to the number of those claiming refuge Ireland will take in (especially from Ukraine). The fact that they never factored in that there was no place to house them shows you how far-sighted and idiotic these people are.

They also never factored in the social consequences of their actions. Instead they blamed the Irish people who raised concerns that, for example, 200 unskilled men were being bussed into their local communities in country villages. They resorted to name-calling (you're the 'far right') because they couldn't defend their own policy.

The Irish, a people who have been second class citizens in their own country for 800+ years, were secondary once again to the refugees arriving. It was their job to get up early in the morning, go to work, pay 2 grand a month for a one bed apartment and pay taxes at 50%+ to keep the immigration show on the road. And FF/FGs response was that if you have a problem with that then **** off and emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Nope. No such system. Having a conviction does not stop you from travelling anywhere.

The rest of your question doesn't make sense I'm afraid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

We don't have an open border and the govt. doesn't give out free money. I wish they did. It'd be great at the end of a tight month. Ah well.

As regards everything else. That's down to our wonderful TD's etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Ukrainians get free money

• Advertisement

Free accommodation for Ukrainians plus 220 a week, no ?

The key point you seem to be ignoring is that these people are refugees. We are bound by law to help them. They didn't just hop on a flight or drive and then ferry to Ireland for the laugh, to claim refugee status. The conversation wasn't along the lines of, 'Hey Dave, you doing anything on Saturday? I was thinking of traveling to Ireland as a refugee so I could sleep in a tent in the middle of Dublin. What do you think? You up for it?'

• Registered Users Posts: 43 boredyooser

Ireland does have an " open border ", both in reality and in theory, through both legal and illegal means.

In reality, there is an open border with the UK. In reality, anyone who enters the UK by whatever means can subsequently enter Ireland if they so wish. Have you caught the Enterprise lately ? Or had a little drive around Monaghan or Donegal ? You can even fly from the London Heathrow to the Republic Of Ireland without a Passport. A badly printed student ID or workplace card will do.

In theory, Ireland has a managed border entry points. However, in reality people can present themselves at Dublin airport without documents ( " the dog ate them " ) and they will be permitted to the state. At which point there is a less than 1% chance they will actually ever be physically deported.

And with the size of the coastline and the resources of the Irish Navy and coastgoard, I wonder how long before the lads operating the unnoficial Calais operations will take their chances ?

So yes, Ireland does have " Open Borders ".

So to use the original discussion you involved yourself in regarding the Zimbabwe killer and if other criminals could be here.

Based on what you have explained to me today in regards him with fraudulent ID or if someone has no ID.

We fingerprint them and send them to live somewhere while we wait for the results to see if they are criminals.

We then cross our fingers and toes and hope criminals who know they will be deported once results are back will wait their until the results are back.

I never actually realised until our discussion today how many murders, terrorists, drug dealers or rapists could be walking our streets.

Jesus if I was someone fleeing a country and looking to disappear then ireland would be top of my list.

In theory you can fly from UK to Ireland but in practice you cannot as the airlines insist on a passport to travel. Indeed there are no security checks on arrival at Heathrow for people travelling from Ireland.

Don't think this is the case with the sea ports though - no passport required.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,600 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Emergency accommodation only - very few Ukrainian people are living in houses or apartments (only the ones that were taken in by host families).

Doesn’t happen like that - you know this. The tents are very temporary. You know that as well. They will be found accommodation and will never be sent home. ever. we don’t deport people. Too much hassle for the lads.

So you accept they get free money?? Would you put any limit on what we take in?

And can i ask a genuine question do you think this should be allowed? If you have a conviction for a misdemeanour offence, fine. But what about serious crime. Sex crimes. GBH. Should offender be allowed move jurisdiction? Genuine questions and looking for a qualified answer. thanks

• Advertisement

And if these people, you know, get jobs, pay tax, prsi, join a football club etc etc. eventually qualify for Irish citizenship. Where is the problem?

We fingerprints IPAs, we also hold investigations into their application, which everyone knows takes too long, but it's done as thoroughly as possible.

I'm afraid if you're worried about criminals in our country, you need to worry about Irish citizens, UK citizen and EU citizens. At least the international applicants are investigated.

Oh, and criminals are not barred from travel you know, they can go wherever anyone else can (there are restrictions on sex offenders though)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 sive60

The narrative was strictly controlled so no discussion was allowed, cant keep the lid on the simmering pot forever, it will eventually boil over and thats whats happening now.

There is deep discontent in the country over the levels of immigration, the numbers of older ukranians arriving now will put presdure on the health service snd the cspacity isnt there to cope.

The young Irish health csre workers wont come back, they cant compete with the Govt and the numerous housing charities buying up a huge amount of houses, why would they come back to slave away in a falling apart health service, spent a third of their take home pay on rent,even their parents are encouraging them not to return.

Im one of those parents, I am lonely for my children but there is no future here for them.

Even if i help them buy as much as half of new housing developments will be social housing of one sort or another, why would you want to take out a mortgage of 600 thousand and then find your neighbours landed in and tote their passports up and now the govt are using your taxes to house them.

No, stay in Australia where the authorities will take care of those legally in the country first, try tearing up your passport in an Australian toilet, the response to you wont be pleasant.

Post edited by sive60 on

Refugees get a stipend to survive on. If you want to call that free money, that's your choice. The way I see it is that this person lands here, eventually qualifies for Irish citizenship if he isn't deported. He builds a life here, contributes. The State gets it's money back. So if you want to quibble over a few quid stipend for a refugee, well that's your choice.

No problems with this if it’s controlled and infrastructure is scaled. No freeloders that state and taxpayer has to support. that ok with you?

Sorry, but you are completely, totally wrong there.

Due to the Common Travel Area no passport is required.

Individual carriers operate their own individual policies but these are separate from Irish and British law.

Both British Airways and Aer Lingus will fly you to Ireland with NO passport. Ryanair do insist on a passport.

All that is required is a form of photographic ID. I don't even want to put it here to give people ideas, but I have used forms of totally unofficial ID that you can obtain off the high street. Same with both major ferry companies.

I have flown out of Dublin using my work ID in a lanyard. NO PASSPORT.

And London. You don't need a passport to either pass through security or board a plane. Try it for yourself

I am not very worried about Irish citizens, UK citizens or EU citizens because we have information about them and they are not countries with as much backwards views.

I am verry worried about people who come here who we don't know anything about and they roam the streets while we try find out about them.

Especially when they come from countries with backwards views towards women and gays etc and believe in carrying terrorist attacks in Europe.

Scary how we allow possible criminals onto the streets without knowing who they are.

It is certainly something that should be communicated to locals before they move them in.

So explain why you don't think we have an open border.

And does everyone not presenting in Ireland no matter documentation or not receive a payment.

• Advertisement

Well you're worries don't seem to be grounded in reality. We have no information on any UK or EU citizens that come here.

Those other people ( seems you mean Muslims) are all investigated when they come here.

It seems like you're trying to make non EU citizens out as a big risk, but UK and EU as no risk.

FYI, all people are capable of committing crime. All people

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement