Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

I don't know who receives what. I know the State helps refugees who land here by whatever means. I see the news like everyone else.

As regards the UK we have a Common Travel Area agreement with the UK that's as old as time. Irish people have benefitted from it for decades. As often as I've heard Irish people complain about the UK I've never heard anyone suggest the CTA should be abolished. That would just bring a world of pain.

It's bad enough that the UK left the EU. None of these things are actually helpful in the here and now though. The Cost of living etc etc., that's what's important. Not whether or not Jimmy from off the boat gets a tent and what colour is it? Not top of the priority list for many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

It was mentioned here yesterday we have a system for the EU where we can check if a person has a criminal conviction based on them having documentation.

I never said UK and EU are no risk, I said I am not as worried.

It is not EU or UK citizens that have turned Sweden into the gun capital of Europe, or not the UK or any citizens from an EU country that is showing up on the top of the rape statistics of any other EU country.

That is why I am far more worried about non documented people from countries who ruined Sweeden and top rape crime statistics in other countries.

Just like the Finland one posted here the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 sive60

How do you know what is a priority for people.

I know one person put up a tent in a park near me and the residents association kicked up a fuss, the tent was gone within a day.

I saw a tent on Nassau Street yesterday, right opposite Trinity College so tourists would be passing it.

Ate you seriously saying Irish people wont have a problem with single men from cultures that disrespect women living in tents all over the city.

By the way in town for hours yesterday, didnt see one single Garda anywhere, normal service has resumed.

We are being made complete fools of, why are we so passive.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Major logical disconnect here, with pro-refugee posters acknowledging that we lack the housing and services required our own population, yet still demanding we accommodate unlimited numbers of asylum seekers - which can only COMPOUND the problem.

Of course, then cry 'racist' when people take issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Do these same people demand pilots take more passengers if the plane is full? Most of the pro-immigrant people are usually from nice middle class backgrounds with nice houses. They probably have skin in the game also - working for a government QUANGO on immigration or whatever.

Their ability to pour out their hearts for the poor of the world is as impressive as their dismissiveness of Irish people going through their own personal difficulties with housing etc....

• Advertisement

Yes homelessness is horrible. Nobody should be forced to sleep in a tent. As I said earlier, if this country had started investing in infrastructure we wouldn't be in this mess. Election after election, we will fix the housing problem, vote for us. Yeah, still waiting. Most of the people I know talk about how things have become bloody expensive and laugh at some of the prices printed on shelves. Yeah, not buying that at that price.

I'm looking forward to the New Year, this one for me has been a doozy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

The thing that absolutely makes me mad is the government narrative and been told to more or less accept their policy or **** off. I just hear the arrogance of Phil Hogan, Alan Kelly, Enda Kenny dismissing folk during the austerity years and water fiasco and their concerns. we now have Roddy, Joe O’Brien, Varadker, Martin and O’Brien all dismiss The folk that are getting up at the crack of dawn to pay their pin money so they can play billy big balls.

Has a government ever had as much contempt for its people as this lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Fair enough. As you do state though Ryanair require a passport and the vast majority of flights to/from the UK are Ryanair flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭Cordell

We're long past worrying about plane getting full, now we've taking out basic services like food and AC installations to make room for more, we're also above maximum take-off weight but we are choosing to ignore this uncomfortable truth because we somehow believe that blaming the airplane manufacturer for not foreseeing this situation will fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

That’s fine… but how many? 500k 1 million? where does it stop? Do we cap how many come here or is that complete wrong in the eyes of the Pro Immigration people?

You see for every person that qualifies and pays taxes there will be a joseph puska (and i’m not talking about his horrific crime but his absolute sponging of the system for the entire time he has been here).

As i’ve said all along, all for immigration but it has to be controlled capped and strict. It has to match what’s available in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 sive60

And if we become a minority in our own country then the majority will choose the Laws that suit them. We could end up living under Sharia Law.

Can you not understand the fears people have for their daughters and grand daughters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,600 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Lots of talk about accommodation and housing in this thread but the elephant in the room is the labour market. We haven't got enough Irish born people to do the jobs : if the 500,000 or so full time migrant workers left the country tomorrow, the economy would collapse within a few days.

It's a very fine balancing act for any Irish government : not enough housing and accommodation, but nowhere near enough Irish born people for a successful economy either.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Scar001

That's the biggest question for me.

How far down are we willing to dilute the native population?

Of course we need immigration but should be controlled and not detrimental to the native Irish.

You're confusing skilled labour with unskilled labour.

Our labour shortages are properly addressed by a skills based worker visa system, where (for some bizarre reason) the massive population of the EU can't provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

No, I think it was mentioned that there is a system where if someone is wanted for a crime, or had a warrant out for their arrest, the system flags that.

A poster seemed to think that we don't check asylum seekers on this database, which is false they are obviously checked.

Noone in any country checks to see if someone has a criminal conviction. There is no ban on anyone travelling because they have a conviction.b

Neither Sweden nor Finland are 'ruined' they are both great countries to live in with very high satisfaction rates among the population.

The highest amount of rape offenders in any country are the nationals of that country. Obviously.

You're just repeating that old chestnut that foreigners are all criminals and rapists which obviously is a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I suggested this a while back but from a virtue signalling perspective, the more severe the housing shortage the better, the more the signaler can portray themselves as virtuous. If there was a vast surplus of accommodation, these same posters would be nowhere near as active on this thread.

But what is so important about that virtue signaling?

Who are they signaling to (who is their audience?)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

We will not become a minority in our own country. Just hyperbole started by anti immigration stirrers.

Even all Muslim countries don't live under Sharia Law. No need for people to be giving themselves a stroke with the pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 boredyooser

20 years ago, in 2004, Channel 4 had a broadcast scheduled a documentary called " Edge Of The City ". It was about social workers in Bradford. It featured on numerous issues the social workers faced, but also included a segment about a White British mother, who claimed troubled young white girls like her daughter were being groomed and exploited for sex by gangs of " British " Pakistani Muslim men.

It causes outraged with the left, the supposedly impartial BBC ( read RTE ), the Guardian and Labour Party, plus various " Anti Racism " organisations, and MPs with concerns about " racism '", " community relations " and blah blah blah " far right " blah blah blah " far right " blah blah blah " far right ", variously denounced it, criticised it, sought to have it banned. It was pulled from broadcast, but was eventually broadcast some weeks later.

For the above sensitivities, the subject was swept under the carpet for more than a decade, not just by the media, but now by the police and justice system, all for fear of " appearing racist " and " emboldening the "far right" "..

Until eventually the nation had to deal with the reality that literally thousands upon thousands of young girls had been subject to sex grooming by " British " Pakistani Muslims men. Thousands, in towns and cities all over the country. And nobody would listen to then or help them.

So for fear of " community relations ", " not appearing "racist" and the " far right ", the problem was never addressed, until a vast amount of damage was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭glen123

Ryanair has apprx 60% share of the UK market, so anyone who wants to get here illegally from the UK by air has the remaining 40% at their disposal of other airlines. Having said that why bother flying in if ferry via NI is much easier or flying into Belfast and then off to the Republic by bus/train. This way no need to talk to an immigration officer upon arrival until wiling to do so...if willing at all :)

One can only guess how many got into Ireland this way and have been undocumented for years working for cash or using someone's documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,600 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

We need just as many unskilled workers as skilled ones. It would be completely incorrect to suggest that an unskilled worker is less productive than a skilled one : anyone who is working fulltime and paying taxes is an essential part of a successful economy.

Nobody said anything about worker productivity so I don't know why you're throwing that in.

I find it bizarre the notion that a labour market of 448 Million persons, cannot provide the unskilled labour for little ol Ireland.

More likely I think, is that there is concerted effort to depress worker wages and this is one of the unmentionables that drives the pro-refugee ideology of the status quo.

Wasn't expecting fascist claptrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭queueeye

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No unless they committed a crime in the EU and were identified....

Which means Interpols database useless

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Lots of talk about accommodation and housing in this thread but the elephant in the room is the labour market. We haven't got enough Irish born people to do the jobs : if the 500,000 or so full time migrant workers left the country tomorrow, the economy would collapse within a few days.

Nobody is looking to turf out 500,000 full time workers, so that's a major red herring from you.

It's a very fine balancing act for any Irish government : not enough housing and accommodation, but nowhere near enough Irish born people for a successful economy either.

Why are Irish birth rates gone so poor? It's only two or three short decades ago we had one of the better rates in Europe. Would it be down to the fact that it now takes two very career driven couples to afford a basic home now? Is it down to the fact that childcare costs are by far the most expensive in Europe?

We're not exactly encouraging more children are we? Considering the push to force doctors to prescribe abortion pills one would think there is an agenda to dwindle the numbers of native Irish over time.

At least the Orban lad in Hungary for all his faults has the policies in place to increase the native Hungarian population. His government invests ~4% of GDP in families.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

We have 9.15% youth unemployment in Ireland - there is a decent pool for unskilled work for employers to pick from. If they were all lazy good for nothings, we surely can show solidarity with our EU partners and offer employment to their youth instead:

No need to be bringing in ANY non-EU unskilled labour whatsoever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement