Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

"The Victorian building off Clyde Road and adjacent to Herbert Park was used as a nursing home up to 2020. It had until recently been owned by Richmond Homes which put the property on the market for €7 million in September, just months after securing planning permission for a controversial 64-unit Build-to-Rent (BTR) scheme.

In a briefing document for public representatives issued this week, the department said the building was now owned by Goldstein Property Irish Collective Asset Management and leased by Burvea Unlimited Company on a five-year lease"

So a Build-to-Rent has been dropped in favour of accommodating Asylum Seekers. Yet another two finger solute from the government towards those that elected them.

The forecasted 15,000 AS per year is not driven by moral ethics, but capitalism. At this stage, anyone defending this mess is either financially incentivised, or not worth the time of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I would say either financial incentivised or fooled by those who are financially incentivised.

I maintain that the manipulation of Left leaners into not just tolerating but fanatically defending what remain, at core, murderously capitalistic politics and processes has been the most stunning propaganda coup of the 21st century.

It has been identified by corporatists that a certain, key demographic are easily led around by their own sense of self-righteousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Repubicanism in Ireland has always been pro Palestine, there have been Palestinian flags flying at Sinn Fein and IRA rallies and commemorations since the start of the PIRA.

It's a view that has seeped into everyday thinking in this country. They view Palestine as somehow the same as Ireland and Israel are The same as the big bad Brits.

also Sinn Fein are cheerleaders for all terrorist organisations that they consider ' freedom fighters '

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Oh, I know that, I am well aware. I was just responding in agreement to the poster above about the possibility of taking lots of people from Gaza if SF get into power. I don't think it would be something that a lot of people would want personally, it makes more sense for neighbouring countries like Jordan and Egypt to be helping out here IMO.

I get the connection between Republicanism and Palestine (although I think it is arseways personally and would view the arabs as being more akin to the Scots Ulster and the jews as being similar to the indigenous Irish). What I don't get is the obsession with it by SF, do you not think it looks really, really odd that our supposed future leader has a Palestinian flag permanently on her Twitter bio?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Yes, a very good post.

Some of these dogmatic and sanctimonious ‘lefties’ I know ( in the real world, not Boards) would have felt very much at home in the former German Democratic Republic. Scary people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Oh God yeah, but if be fairly sure that was ordered from the actual leaders of her party.

once an ally of terrorists, always an ally of terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

There are 500,000 adults living at home and thousands of young skillfull young people leaving each year.

Their are 13,000 people listed as homeless here.

That is 513,000 people who need to be housed before anyone else arrives here.

Where are we going to put these 15,000 people unless they jump the queue ahead of the 513,000 already waiting to be housed.

You know the doctors and engineers that we are told about, well they are not going to come here with a housing crisis and the cost of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Cordell

Eastern European doctors and engineers not only don't come here anymore, some of them who were here for years are going back, all because of the housing cost and shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭creeper1

That's probably the reason they destroy said passports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

We’ll be lucky to have a nursing home left in 20 years at this rate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I'm confident by then we will have adopted the Candian style approach to health care and that problem will be taken care of.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That's disingenuous claiming 500,000 living at home are homeless. They're not.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Gamergurll

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

I don't see where it was claimed they're homeless?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Delete

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Not sure if related, another fire(no mention of whether it was to be used for immigrants), unused national school in Tipperary - https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2024/0104/1424748-ferthard-arson/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

One of the greatest things we've given ourselves is the vote. Ye olde universal sufferage. I doesn't matter if you're 18 with no money or education and you live in a council flat or you're 18 from a rather nice area of the country and you're considering your electives in 2nd year in Uni. When you boil it down, your votes are equal.

This is where I get so irritated with the govt. We've been promised all sorts of things on the doorsteps over the years. Vote for me and ...

What happens after the election? The parties get together cut up the national cake and that fella in the council flat gets forgotten about. He may or may not have voted, who cares? The govt. doesn't have to worry about him for another 5 years and sure he may have emigrated by then. Win win. The thing is, that fella in the council flat and all his mates, aren't leaving. They see how things are here and they want change. They may not have the education or the money of that other fella who was considering his electives in Uni, but they do have a vote and they're going to vote, for anyone but the current shower in office.

The thing that really irritates me, is that if the current shower in office had actually done their jobs, that young fella and his friends wouldn't be considering voting them out of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Would all of those 500,000 be living at home if the option to have their own dwelling was available?

The idea that the homeless figures of 13k are a true representation of how many people are unable to house themselves is an absolute exercise in spin by the authorities.

I know people who are desperate to leave home but can't even find a room in a shared rental.

Grown adults can't build and develop romantic relationships in these situations, peoples lives are passing them by.

However the homelessness crisis is framed by the officialdom of Ireland the truth is much worse and far more damning.

We have figures relating to people in crisis situations around the 13k mark, the actual demand for accommodation far outstrips that number and we all bloody well know that to be the case, all of us who aren't adherents to whatever "be kind" adenga de jour it is at any given time.

Glazers Out!

Irish people have always lived at home for a long time because "rent is dead money". I have a friend who is 46, never lived away from home, but actually finally housed by the council in SCD there recently in a new build. Now, he could have moved out at some point between 1996 and today if he had have put his mind to it.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

In other news the grass is green.

Irish people have always been able to form relationships, get married have kids and live in their own houses. Until now.

The majority of people haven't historically stayed at home because rent is dead money, saying so trivialises very real problems people are facing.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Nonsense.

There was and always will be mammys boys afraid to leave the tit or others staying at home for a particular reason.

The scale of the issue now the vast majority of people in a certain age bracket(which is expanding) are stuck at home due to a mixture of not being able to afford to rent and trying to save for a mortgage.

Ah yeah, but that's personal choice. Mum and Dad will put up with me if I give them a few quid a week. Grand, if that's what you're into.

However, we now have the daft situation highlighted in the news a few days ago of nurses and doctors etc., moving back to Germany and Spain to live and flying into to Dublin to work and staying in student nurses digs on site that haven't been used in donkeys years. Why? Good old lack of housing.

There are many who would like to move out but cannot, there are plenty more who stay at home because it is comfortable. Rent might be very expensive now, but it is still doable in house shares for most. It was always like this, although now it is obviously a higher proportion of take home pay than it would have been 15 years ago say. If you can afford to move out (i.e. you have enough after tax to pay rent, bills and food etc) and you choose not to, because say "it's expensive", then you are choosing to stay at home. Also, I am not sure it is the states responsibility to house anyone who wants to move out. If you choose to stay at home, then you should be saving like a lunatic for a deposit and taking advantage of the low costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Maybe read the post again and edit your post.

Just more lies and misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That comes across again as really quite naïve. You're acknowledging correctly that successive administrations haven't delivered in a fair way for the people of the state.

But on the other hand, you're happy to campaign to take in all & sundry and sure, ah well - we'll build loads infrastructure etc etc. That's irresponsible IMHO. The facts of the matter are that state policy outside major urban areas for decades, has been to amalgamate, reduce and close services. This is not going to change.

Everyone in this house will vote and I'll guarantee you, none of our children would even contemplate a vote for the current parties. They talk of SF, we'll look to independents.

°°°°°

It was never like this.

There is a shortage of housing to purchase or rent, the idea that "it's doable in house shares" is possibly the most disconnected thing I've seen posted on this site in years.

What adult wants to live their life sharing an apartment or house with random people with absolutely no security whatsoever? What scope for a normal existence does that have exactly?

And even for those who are saving "like a lunatic" whilst living at home, the housing market is so limited and cut throat there's absolutely no guarantee of them being able to make a purchase when they get mortgage approval, getting outbid or dealing with unscrupulous estate agents and sellers, most people lucky enough to be in that position will be dealing with a level of stress they never would have expected.

Into this maelstrom of misery we're pouring tens of thousands of people from outside the state who incidentally are even more vulnerable than the people already in the country and expecting there to be no ill effects.

But yeah, all those people in their parents houses in their 40's are all just there because they're comfortable and possibly lazy.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's certainly our experience and when I look at neighbours and family, the vast bulk of 20-30 yr olds are either living at home or left the country. I can think of one neighbours child who managed to buy. The situation is a shocking indictment of governments of the past two decades. And boy will the chickens come home to roost. Out, out, out as Maggie Thatcher said.

Nope, not naieve. Just because the current shower in office have mismanaged things is no excuse to throw out our obligations to Refugees and Asylum seekers. As I've said before, it isn't their fault that successive govts. here have failed to invest in the people or the infrastructure.

• Advertisement

I would counter with "what adult wants to be living at home with their parents?". At least moving out to a house share they become actual adults, supporting themselves rather than living in their childhood bedrooms.

There is no guarantee that saving like a lunatic will result in being able to buy, but it is taking control and doing something productive, stacking the odds in your own favour rather than waiting helplessly for someone else to come along and do something for you. There is a lot of "financial fatalism" in the younger generations. I remember something similar around 2006, many thinking they could never buy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement