Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭snl rory

Untrue , the 2004 referendum which saw 80% in favor, was called due to large amounts of scammers arriving in Ireland heavily pregnant.

There all were all in DP Centre's until they got social housing curtesy of the Irish taxpayer. People for the most part are not happy with asylum seekers arriving here and getting services and housing from their taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

The Irish don’t really protest unless really pushed too far.they riot at the ballot box and hopefully come the referendum in March and locals in June the riot happens with the auld pencil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Jizique

Slow quagmire just like the approval process - drag the arse out of it over 2 years with another 3 for appeals and "shure we might as well give him citizenship at this stage, he hasnt murdered anyone"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

Serious turnout there, a lot of votes on the ground. No one giving a hoot what rte, the Indo or the panti bliss's on twitter think.

The game is up - I hope all the cheerleaders of this are social pariahs in years to come n the gravy train is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DoyDK

Well said.

This country is riddled with parasites. And I'm not talking about migrants.

Still, there's absolutely no way they haven't considered the potential consequences and fallout from all of this. Look out for any "solutions" presented over the coming years to address the problems being currently created.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I'm not saying your wrong but if the people of Ireland elect another Fianna Fáil Fianna Gael coalition then next time a poll is called, then what does that say about the majority of people's wishes and primary concerns?

The game is and now the average punter isn't afraid to stand up anymore, its going to quickly become very difficult for the government to find accommodation for IPA's. another 15,000 expected this year.

How do they square this circle . Wild times ahead I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Many of these temporary accommodation places are pre-existing buildings that have accommodated people before - they are not even proposing to build new refugee centres in these areas.

Where were the protests and arson attacks on the 25 direct provision centres which opened around the country between 2017 and 2022? The only thing that has changed in the meantime is that the far right and racists have become far more active on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

I posted the text below on the 'time for zero refugee .. .. ' forum. And I appreciate this discussion applied to immigration, but it is very relayed, as the majority of citizens believe that the asylum seekers are economic migrants immigrating here based on false asylum claims (destroying documets, passing safe countries to come here, etc..).

I wasnt able to post the link, but the stats are complelling.

We grant 83% applicants asylum, France and Sweden around 30%. Why is that? As a country we deserve to know why the significant difference. Are the french and swedish better are weeding out false claims ?

Daily Mail today:

Ireland grants asylum to a 83% of migrant applicants. 

"Estonia (97.7 per cent), Switzerland (87.1 per cent), Ireland (83 per cent), Portugal (81.9 per cent) the Netherlands (81.7 per cent) and Lithuania (80.2 per cent) are the only countries to rank above Britain"

"Romania had the lowest approval rate at 14.4 per cent, with Cyprus (17.8 per cent), Malta (28.3 per cent), France (30.6 per cent), Iceland (30.9 per cent) and Sweden (31.4 per cent) following"

Must be a hape of rural back benchers thinking of jumping ship, hopefully a few align into a party.

If it's 12 months to election they've zero chance of re election if this continues.

• Advertisement

What is this video supposed to mean exactly. What is the context and subtext I'm not getting here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

I think a political re-alignment over mass migration will take longer than one election cycle. I don't see how it could happen more quickly than that though who knows.

At this point we are still in the unfolding of a slow political realignment which started to see green shoots in 2011 and another growth spurt in 2014 - SF rising to become a serious party, subsuming part of the traditional FF vote. This pushed FG and FF closer together.

Sleep on it if you want but a political re-alignment over immigration has now become much more likely thanks to the brick wall of arrogance that has been put up in place of any kind of recognition of local and ordinary people's anxieties and wishes on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Are ourselves and the UK receiving more 'genuine' refugees perhaps? Both countries are harder to get to and to enter because of being outside the Schengen Area. I'd be interested to hear more discussion of this and about the discrepancies from experts in the field.

Oh so everyone really wants change they just don't want it when they have a once in five year chance.

Stop, if ff and fg are the next government I assume people here will accept the majority are ok with the status quo.

And stop the incessant silent majority whining.

And no I'm not a supporter or member of either party.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

It shows the vetting / approval process is not consistant across the EU for one thing.

France has a huge huge shortage of workers right now. Bigger shortage than Ireland, I have a holiday house there and know this as i have family living there and we watch the frech news most nights. Yet, they are not approving everyone willy nilly, like Ireland is.

Exactly, we have the right to know what the approval process enrails, and why are we top approvers in this country. We also need tradesmen & skilled workers, nurses, doctors, engineers, but the current wave or AS will not provide the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

I gave my reasoning. Assume what you like.

Both pro-immigation and anti-immigration people on this thread seem to think political change is like flipping a switch. Yet my own observation is that it's more like turning a large ocean liner around.

We'll see anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ballshyballet

Here's what I see happening.

You have essentially 3 parties selling the same shyt.

You can only vote for one of these three, so any vote is only ever going to reinforce the idea of status quo.

It absolutely is not representative of reality, and it'll be short hop to the next election after that as the pressure builds to offer something other than "mass migration good".

We're in for years of it yet, and each year will, in the void of political choice, be more and more violent.

Cause and effect.

Big study from the Dutch on the cost/benefits of migrants.

https://demo-demo.nl/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Borderless_Welfare_State-2.pdf , someone should show the Irish government.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Muph89

Do these protest groups all still pretend that they'd actually love to welcome refugees, it's just that the building doesn't have a fire safety certificate and the area doesn't have enough GPs/public heath nurses/Buses for more people? 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Heard an interview on Newstalk yesterday from some Nigerian who somehow was allowed into the country and sent out onto the streets.

He was complaining about the conditions.

The UK has the right idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

But at least he’s safe from whatever persecution he was fleeing from Nigeria. That’s the reason he came here, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

The Dublin 4 need to consult their legal team before they can answer that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Jizique

6 cops landed at the Galway Fianna fail councillors house this morning at 6am. A shot across the bows from our rulers.

No doubt the same resources are going into the lads swinging knives in tuam on new year's Eve, just a matter of priorities Helen n Roderick ain't it?!

It’s a joke,” said Cllr Noel Thomas, who was woken at 6am by a team of gardaí attached to the Galway Divisional Crime unit supported by the National Bureau of Crime Investigation. “The question I want to ask is where is this coming from?

Councillor Thomas and his family including his wife and four children were in the house at the time of the search. “All we could hear was doors banging, windows banging and lights shining in the windows and shouting. “There was a lad from Dublin leading it and then five or six local guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

So let’s be clear on your logic here. Travelling through multiple safe countries to get to Ireland means it is more likely that you are genuine than someone who presents at the first EU country they land in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

Hmm. Exactly who is acting like far right fascists?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

So let's fill rural towns with fellas from Morocco, Egypt,Georgia . What a fantastic idea.

Or the government could get off their holes and regenerate these areas for people living legally In the country who pay their way.

Other countries as the above poster has mentioned have much higher rejection rates. We are a big exception in Europe with our soft application process.

In 10 years time our rural towns will be absolute kips with lads who don't give a damn about Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭suvigirl

The 2004 referendum was held in order to right the mistake made in the 1999 referendum.

• Advertisement

Estonia (97.7 per cent), Switzerland (87.1 per cent), Ireland (83 per cent), Portugal (81.9 per cent) the Netherlands (81.7 per cent) and Lithuania (80.2 per cent) 

Ireland is not an outlier then

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement