Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Who are you going to vote for? Nobody is proposing a different approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

He's going with the std FG playbook - 'talk over everyone, because the public love that'. FG and their advisers are idiots - the desperation is strong

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Did Neale Richmond vote against a Traveller Halting Site in his area in 2015 or not?

If Neale did, is he against Travellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I'd say privately parties are discussing it though. It could be a big issue.

The annual January hospital trolley event is barely getting a mention this year.

I still dont see any major change from the 3 larger parties.

None of them are going to introduce a cap on International Protection Applicants, for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That's not the whole story by a long shot. There were a number of mistakes made when it came to Ukraine and the approach taken by European countries. There was and is clearly benefit shopping going on and the initial offering from the State was far too generous. The second was the immediate resettling outside of Ukraine rather than facilitating internal accommodation especially as the war has dragged on and there are huge swathes of the country not impacted by the conflict.

The other thing worth mentioning is that while IPAs get all the attention, they are relatively small beer when it comes to the numbers. In 2019, the last "normal" year in which I have data, there were over 33k English language study visas issued in Ireland. Policy makers that want to free up capacity and release pressure on rental markets actually have a very easy lever to pull - make those visas extremely hard to get. It hasn't been pulled.

The reality is that almost people that migrate to Ireland do so to work, and work in all classes and levels of jobs. While addressing illegal migration will release some pressure, it's not until it becomes significantly harder to get a work visa here will you actually see any actual difference. Such changes would obviously come at a high economic cost and that needs to be understood.

That's not to say illegal migration and bogus asylum seekers should be given a free pass but we should understand that there wouldn't be this huge release of pressure if they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭_Marshall_

Yes, exactly, shout down the clock with utter blather.

Misinformation, Disinformation, hard right , racist, I am so sick of these words.

Its actually insulting to our intelligence. I mean, how can he be sooooooooooooooo far removed from the pulse of the nation.

GRIPT just earnt a sub from me anyway, they aint perfect , but at least John can push back a bit on de telly etc.

Its always so predictably one sided, Gov TD , NGO rep, Hard left political hack, and a utterly partisan host all shouting down one other fella because he has the audacity to challenge their high moral grandstanding with some common sense facts. Clown world is sickening.

I wonder at night alone to they struggle with their conscience? of what they are doing to our country? When the history of this time is written and studied, Richmond and his ilk will be uttered in the same breath as Cromwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Jackiebt

Comes from a long line of Orangemen, wants to scrap neutrality and rejoin the commonwealth, tells you all you need to know.

Oh Jaysus, my instincts are bang on then, it all makes sense now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭snl rory

I think Neale dug FG grave in rural areas tonight , FG is a party that welcomes migrants and refugees. He thought he was taking the popular position , rather than saying FG are planning to limit refugees etc. He's total out of touch. Euro/local election will be brutal for the government at this rate.

Would 150000 people sit comfortably with you?

1.5million maybe?

What if they take over your last cal community centres, sports halls etc. to house them.

Have you a limit on what's acceptable?

The shinners will probably promise them the sun, moon and stars. Then the Shinners romp home and the lads start ringing their mates "new government in Ireland" I'll WhatsApp you their manifesto, look at what we are getting, come quickly.

Floodgates.

Ah , here, you know the hard left will never answer that question!!!Silly! infinite migration to our tiny country is the plan...for some perverse reason....

Sur the Irish people have no real right to exist, and we are horrible white people as well, so I guess we should just hand our birth right over to the staving billions of the world and shuffle off into the ocean or something.

2024 is going to be a wild ride, I really would not like to be a FFGP politician walking the streets, people are at breaking point, nothing much to loose now, someone could just snap...and I wont even say it...but you get me....

I agree, Richmond just nuked FG on live TV. This is all so dark and warped, its nearly funny. not.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭snl rory

The fact Richmond , thinks Irish believe that A) single males they see on the street drinking cans at 1 pm are 'fleeing war' and B) want more of them, 'unlimited' as he said.

It's as detached as I seen a Government politician since , 'that's a standard house'!! on VB years ago lol .

Really going to be nasty out there for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

The internal accommodation argument as regards Ukrainian refugees is one that simply seems too easy for me — because it relies on both hindsight and the comfort of being far away. The reality is that if the Russian war machine, the army of a nuclear power is invading your country and conducting aerial bombardments, I don't think it's realistic to say that the Ukrainian nation — while having to fight a war with Russia — should also have been made to contend with internally accommodating its displaced citizens. This was an emergency situation and there is no playbook. In any event, most of the refugees are in neighbouring countries (including Russia) or at least central / Eastern Europe, where countries like Estonia, Poland and the Czech Republic have very high numbers per capita.

But anyway, I agree with your point around IPAs being relatively minor as regards numbers in the grand scheme of things. But you don't have to look too far on this thread to understand that there are many who seem to view the issue disproportionately.

I fear you are right. They would get my vote if they change their open border policy. So it some IND for me, a protest vote...and not a single transfer to these FFGP fools.

The Indo Articles concerning Richmond:

"When it came before the council in January 2014, the plan was voted against by Fine Gael representatives John Bailey, Maria Bailey, Tom Joyce, Neale Richmond, Barry Saul and Barry Ward, and Fianna Fáil councillors Aoife Brennan, Cormac Devlin, Gerry Horkan and Tom Murphy."

A lot of folks may vote indie, but that wont really have an effect on the outcome of the GE.

We will still probably get a FFG govt and if not, SF with FF.

• Advertisement

Possibly, and I fear for what will happen to Ireland if FFG get back in together again, through some dirty little pact like last time to keep the SF out.

You think the public are angry now?

I would say some are angry and some not.

I dont see SF improving anything tbh and in fact, they would likley make things worse from a jobs point of view, as they are anti MNC, which is where most of our best job opportunities and tax take comes from.

I also expect they will slow down house construction, as they are anti investment funds and its the funds that are paying for almost all the new residential developments we are seeing in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The initial reaction was an emergency and I agree that hindsight is 20:20 but the war has been going on for quite some time now but the rules and response has been slow to change, with of course Paddy being last.

Once it was clear that the fighting was going to be largely confined to the east, the whole approach to migrants and refugees needed to change. It didn't.

IPAs have become of a big issue for a number of reasons. The visible pressure and change they bring to an area is obviously one, the fact that the system processing them acts with a naivety that is so obvious that it must be by design and lastly that the population are meant to allow themselves be taken advantage of without protest are three driving reasons for the pushback.

Government got out of a hole today with a partial climb down but the trick they used has a very limited lifespan.

I can't see how they will get more capacity past an angry population now.

The country is a tinder box, if not on fire already. Have you not noticed?

As for SF - I'm here to comment on mass immigration, not SF economic policies. When SF eventually disappoint and let me down, Ill give them stink as well. But I'm not here to talk about SF economics on this thread.

Frankly a blind badger with rabies would manage this country better than it is being managed now.

Are you for real?

Do you think writing something like that actually furthers your cause? you are deluded? You are only making peoples blood boil more.

Are you our King or something?

I guess we are being ruled and not governed it appears.

This is happening weather we like it or not? You think? So you have cancelled our sovereignty and democracy and the rest of us just shut up?

I guess we can add 'Hick' to the list of usual insults.

Now you reply and call me a racist / hard right la la la, it means nothing anymore.

There are a few extreme protestors, but they dont reflect the majority view.

I agree that the masses want to see more control over asylum immigration, but I dont see that happening under any govt, because no party is proposing it.

We agree to disagree on how pissed the country is at all of this, I think very and a lot of folk. My 70 year old non political mother is now hard right apparently.

The party that takes this step will be rewarded , massively and immediately. Its a matter of time.

It really isnt a matter of time though, because no party is propsing it, so you cant vote for it.

(nor can your mother).

I am not saying that its right or wrong, I am just saying how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Nice try probably, with a low post count. No need to stoke fear, its’s real already.

People want to protect their communities, and understandably so. Connection, interaction, common-ground and the search for common-ground and belonging, is simply human nature.

To minimise this principle and dismiss it is ignorance of the highest order. Community spirit matters, and attempts to force cohesion unnaturally, in a short window of time, and in an unprecedented large addition of populace, some of whom may have questionable backgrounds (who knows as our checks are rubbish) are destined to fail and face resistance.

’no veto for communities’ is gaslighting and against EU objectives for local government.

It’s not what the people want no matter how much those in charge charge us with being reprehensible racists.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement