Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Denmark has taken in 40,000+ Ukraine refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I'm happy we took 100k Ukrainian refugees. Asylum done right. The eastern Europeans already proved they can be trusted to integrate honourably.

Finland

"The influence of the far-right Finns party in Finland’s new four-party coalition government – the most rightwing in the country’s history – is clear: cutting refugee quotas, raising the bar for work-based immigration, making citizenship harder to obtain and establishing separate benefit systems for immigrants and permanent residents. Experts have said the prime minister, Petteri Orpo of the centre-right National Coalition party – which has 48 seats in parliament to the Finns’ 46 – took a hard line on immigration in order to gain support for €6bn of spending cuts."

Finland clearly learning from Swedens mistakes. I just hope Ireland's not paddy last as always because the whole of Europe is moving to the right to save themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

We see in elections the far right getting laughed at and we will see it again. The general populace are not sympathetic to the far right miscreants and their supporters. The internet is not real life I'm afraid. I'm sure we will be seeing "The election was stolen" when the far right lowlifes get laughed at again.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭US3

The 14 lads found in the truck in rosslare yesterday, 8 of them have "disappeared from state care". **** hell we are a ruled by **** idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Have been in the real world? I feel like a left winger when I talk to people these days. People are up to their eyeballs in this. Did biggest issue with the ultra right polital parties is many want us out of the EU, no abortions, no LGBTQ rights and they're hardline Christians.

A party that would represent the average joe would support LGBTQ, abortions, the EU and a zero tolerance on refugees as we're way over the sustainable limit. .

Look at the rise of the far right in Europe. They started in crazy land but over the years they centralised on most issues except immigration and refugees. As a result they gain trust of the mainstream.

The next election will be fascinating and the one after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I have no problem answering questions, you do know the thread isn't about me right? Sorry if I don't see every single post you make🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Yes which is why I would think is one of the biggest reasons all these men are not in posh areas, you know the areas with so many people telling us about how great all of this is.

But they seem to be very unselfish because they don't want any of it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Carlito Brigantes Tale

Absolute farce. Just ripping the pi s s out of us now aided and abetted by this pathetic government

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

It's not just the government though. There is systemic cheerleading going by the vested interests. All these NGO's and fake charities. These people like to feel good about themselves while stealing a living off the misfortunes in need.

The entire NGO / charity sector is government sponsored. Why they don't call them what they are is an insult to our intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Waffle. We don't have a King. I took my definition from one of the most respected and modern dictionaries in the world. Where did you get yours? Link?

Let's dance though...Who is this enemy? What hostile acts? Where is the betrayal? Specifics please.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Roscrea now on the news.

Another protest against a hotel taken for asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

Did Helen and Roderick get down in time to hand them citizenship? Let's hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Roscrea with a population of about 5000 with 600 odd newcomers in the past couple of yrs.sure it makes perfect sense

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

No hotel now.and it seems the hotel was taking bookings up to yesterday.said before and some might say I’m mad but no tourist industry no “pollution “. A win for the Green Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if the political aspect of the EU disintegrated, particular the insane anti-farmer green agenda, and it just became a rules based single market again. The euro will likely stay though.

In any other country if there were protests, riots, arson, etc every 5 minutes all over the place over government policy, then that government would be under great pressure - there would be resignations, U-turns on policy etc.

In Ireland it's "Oh well now I think we could have better communication but let me be clear no-one has a veto..." and they plough on regardless, and even double down. They're like an alcoholic...the people telling them to stop are correct but they keep drinking anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Covid restrictions showed just how obedient this country is. The government feel like they can ram raid the country again.

The fact that it's both FF & FG mean they don't fear losing ground to one another with these mad policies. Maybe if FF or FG were on the outside, they'd have played the opposition card and reigned the other in (McEntee might be gone, for example). Instead we have SF waiting to set up a red carpet to Palestine. It's a perfect storm for these idiots.

The protests and ever-increasing public opposition is a move in the right direction for the public, at least. I work all over the country and the common theme among folk is that this is nothing short of a disgrace, and I'm not directing these conversations, I always let them give their opinions first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Roscrea a town that has been over run with Migrants, was guaranteed no more a few weeks back.

Yesterday afternoon people were told over 100 IPAS were to be moved in today. Less than 24 hrs notice.

There isn’t a bigger problem now in the country than An increasing population & diminishing resources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Carlito Brigantes Tale

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Glenomra

I don't live in Tipperary but know Roscrea well for a number of reasons. This is a huge blow to Roscrea, a historic town that has suffered greatly over the last decades from the closure of industry in the town etc. The town itself has been in a period of rapid decline with many town schools closed or faced with declining enrolment. As the social life of the town suffered many parents enrolled their children in adjacent rural schools adding to the town's problems. The Racket Hall hotel was one of the town's only surviving vibrant assets, a location for community events, weddings, parties etc. I used it regularly as a relaxing pit stop on the road from Clare to Dublin. The closure of the hotel for the local community will be a severe loss. In my humble opinion this government have lost the plot, they seem intent on destroying much of the remaining fabric of life in rural Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

This is why the Government feel like they can get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Have you some examples of this drop in price or are you just making it up?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,600 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Lots of talk about 'consultation' with communities, but it's pointed out that protests are now being launched literally the first moment there's a suggestion that a refugee centre might be opened i.e. the first mention on social media is in the morning or early afternoon and by that evening there is a protest or blockade outside the building. It does undermine the idea that lack of communication with communities is the main issue.

Who’s advising them Is what I wanna no.

all decisions are being made by the government absent of a National context.

We need a National context for how we want this country to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

People don't want the one operating hotel in the town replaced by a facility that brings no benefits to the town. Young people would have got work in the hotel. Very limited work opportunities in a direct provision center. Maybe we can start closing hospitals and reworking them as direct provision centers. Obviously not great for sick people but imagine the kudos we will get from the international community and our powerful NGO immigration sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,600 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The hotel in Ballinrobe last weekend had been closed for ten years. The one that was firebombed recently had been shut for four years.

• Advertisement

Doesn't mean the locals will want that building used for young males with unknown criminal record who got on an airline with identification and then showed up at Dublin airport with no identification. Illegally abusing a system meant for people fleeing actual conflict.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement