Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah fine. Who in government objected to that?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

He deserves the blame for those tweets anyway.

Yes he will be gone after the next GE but the damage is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

She personifies all that is brutal about labour. A bulshit lying useless party that represents everyone but has no impact on anybody.

Country doesn’t need a labour party. They had their shot but decided to give fine gael a big pat on the back. labour are desperate if i ivana is all they have as a leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I don't know. Is every action brought to Cabinet? Did all 15 Ministers know he was going to send the invites?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Probably not but if he did there would be a record or minutes of the discussion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Irishmen will commit rapes and other crimes in Australia so a stop on all Irish immigration would save some indigenous Australian women from serious crimes committed by Irishmen in the future.

Regarding people not being allowed into Australia without a passport, that's one of the stupidest things ever posted on here but I wouldn't expect you to have any knowledge. Perhaps reading this government document would be enlightening.

"It is not a crime to enter Australia without authorisation for the purpose of seeking asylum. Asylum seekers do not break any Australian laws simply by arriving on boats or without authorisation. Article 31 of the Refugee Convention clearly states that refugees should not be penalised for arriving without valid travel documents. What may be considered an illegal action under normal circumstances (e.g. entering a country without a visa) should not, according to the Convention, be considered illegal if a person is seeking asylum. Australian and international law make these allowances because it is not always safe or even possible for asylum seekers to obtain travel documents or travel through authorised channels. Refugees are, by definition, people fleeing persecution and in most cases are being persecuted by their own governments. It is often too dangerous for refugees to apply for a passport or exit visa or approach an Australian Embassy for a visa, as this could put their lives, and the lives of their families, at risk. Refugees may also be forced to flee with little notice due to rapidly deteriorating situations and do not have time to apply for travel documents or arrange travel through authorised channels. In other cases, refugees may be unable to obtain travel documents because they do not have identity documentation or because they cannot meet the necessary visa requirements. Australia has very restrictive policies which work to prevent citizens of countries where persecution is widespread from getting access to temporary visas of any kind. These policies leave many people seeking to flee to Australia with no way of entering in an authorised manner. Permitting asylum seekers to enter a country without travel documents is similar to allowing ambulance drivers to exceed the speed limit in an emergency – the action may ordinarily be illegal but, in order to protect lives at risk, an exception is made.[8]

"

Not that I expect you to actually read that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I don't know but let's play it like it was complete solo run - what did Cabinet ministers say at the following cabinet? Any evidence of internal agitation with respect to his actions? Did they reshuffle the newbie out since this 'error of judgement'? Why hasn't a senior hurler minister taken over? Have they retracted the "invite" since?

On the contrary and they are not saying that O'Gorman is the man in charge repeatedly.

Seriously, the FFG ministers have you all completely fooled if your follow the scapegoat path they have left for you.

For example, I hear angry posters saying many immigrants are coming here for our high social welfare rates - who is in charge of social welfare and hardly ever gets a mention??

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

All of the same weirdos are all usually at the protests also. Once the far right come to the realization that there are no democratic means to achieving their objectives in Ireland, it's going to be funny to see their reaction. The grifters will try to keep the show on the road for the next elections so the money keeps coming in for them but there will be another element of scumbags that could expand on the criminality they've been doing such as the arson attacks. The gardai and this current government don't really seem capable of dealing with them so that would be a worry when you're dealing with far right scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Heard her and Ryan. I figure both Labour and the Greens must have death wishes as parties. Determined to fly in the face of public opinion. What should be concerning for all is the willingness of both is the authoritarian language as regards enforcement.

Ryan mentioned amongst other items cracking down on social media commentary, more speed cameras (note not more Gardai) to enforce new limits and to discourage citizens from car use and of course all civil & public servants to lose free parking perks. Bacik was repeatedly asked if the state should clear local community protestors and while she didn't openly say yes, she implied that the full rigour of the law should be applied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I think you must be a little out of touch so. I wouldn't characterise the issue as burning or one of 'life & death'. But in most conversations I've had recently, the other person has touched on it in some way or another. And before you ask, generally in a negative tone. That's why the poll shows 75% think there is a problem with current immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Cheers for that, but there must be another poll because Gatling dismissed this very poll on the grounds that nobody reads the Sunday Independent these days. So he could hardly be dismissing it one post and bigging it up in another, because that would be rather …….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Those tweets are also all still live. You’d think removing them might be the very first tiny step gov could make in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It’s the kind of thing you can rely on from the left in Ireland unfortunately.

Quite well meaning, but almost child like in their naïveté. They frequently confuse providing State hand outs for one group of people with generosity. The fact that other people pay for it rarely registers in the way it should.

Its actually amazing how successful Ireland has been over the last 30 years, it’s almost totally in spite of our leaders rather than because of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No I dismissed the sunday indo which you claimed the majority of the population aren't bothered with immigration at all ,,,,,

But yet it's in the top 3 political issues

Seems someone wasn't being honest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I just asked you a question based on your posts. I don't make accusations about you personally on thread, or anyone for that matter. I post facts and laws, just because you may not agree with those facts or laws, is no reason to try and blacken me on thread.

I have posted my views many times, you're welcome to read them all, they are easily accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭zell12

This one is a more definitive poll from last May, depends on how the question is phrased

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

It seems that when sometimes when deportation is attempted

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-receives-21-month-sentence-for-attack-on-pregnant-women-1395298.html

sometimes the other side doesn't follow through, lest it interrupts their siesta.

A case where the guards must have wondered why they bothered.

But interesting that Ms Justice Sheahan considers Mr Salah's offences to be on the lower end of offending....in another few months Mr Salah is free to go back to his life of assaulting vulnerable pregnant homeless woman, damaging property, resisting arrest, robbery, traffickng narcotics, harassment and, when he can be bothered, barbering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Ahwell

That poll was in the Sunday Sindo, you talking about the same bloody poll. 75% of in the poll did not pick immigration in their top 2 concerns. It is also a tracking poll and immigration only increased 1% since the last one. So no real evidence of this rising anger that people keep banging on about.

The latest actual Red C poll on immigration I could find was one for the SBP and it came up with this…

“Irish people welcome refugees on the whole, it’s far-right activist groups who oppose this.”….55% agreed, 34% disagree and 11% don’t know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That SBP poll was taken at a time when there were major problems finding accommodation for Ukrainian people - it had been one of the main stories in the news for the previous week or two.

I might well have answered 'yes' to the question if polled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Not deportation, extradition on foot of a European arrest warrant. Which can be reissued in future.

Dept of justice can also issue removal orders for EU citizens. Usually for people who have committed crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

If you read the article, he successfully resisted extradition (sorry, it was extradition, not deportation) on two occasions, the Spanish refused to take him because he was 'kicking off', even though it was them that requested the extradition I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Using our own tax euros against us is what's so sicken. If this goes the way I think it will and these crowd of numpties retire with big pensions scot free in a few years. Might as well let the boys out of the joy. Fook it why not. The problem with politics is there is no repercussions for fook ups especially as intentional and calculated as this one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭enricoh

Maybe the Finnish cops are racist? Or maybe there's an issue with fellas from third world Muslim countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's like people from violent broken countries have a higher chance of being violent broken people themselves, like, you know, it's the people who made those countries what they are. Mind-blowing, who could have thought that?!

Have you been frequenting the far right echo chambers? Why on earth do you think he'd be released? Where does it say he will be free? He will be extradited after the sentence. The Spanish guards came over for him as well. Read the article you are posting before posting it. He's not even a refugee, Spanish national. Lads try to avoid being extradited on warrants, it's not rocket science. Sure didn't Liam Byrne try as much recently when extradited to the UK, contesting the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

In the 1970s, the National Front in Britain claimed that black immigrants were more likely to commit crimes than the 'native' population. It's fascinating to see these extremist opinions from 50 years ago becoming mainstream in 2024.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭thomas 123

But 25% did? You are deluded - of all the crisisis facing the country this ranked third. And it could have ranked higher if people were not afraid of what others might think - it’s ingrained in the Irish psyche - anonymous poll or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement