Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Look at this far right rhetoric, it's almost as if there's some overlap

A recent survey by TrustLaw, a project of the Thomson Reuters Foundation, polled 213 women’s rights experts on what they consider to be the world’s worst place to be a woman.

The results are in, and topping the list are AfghanistanDR CongoPakistanSomalia and India, based on a variety of factors including rape and violence, lack of health services, poverty and human trafficking.

According to the poll, Afghanistan ranks as the worst place in the world to be a woman.

Women in today’s Afghanistan daily face a host of threats, from insurgent violence; attacks on schoolgirls and working women for daring to venture out into the public sphere; high levels of rape and domestic violence, as well as widespread physical and sexual abuse by state forces; forced and child marriage; and honor killings. 87% of Afghan women are illiterate, while 70-80% face forced marriage, many before the age of 16.

In the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which ranked second on the list of the worst places to be a woman, an ongoing war has featured a brutal and strategic campaign of sexual violence targeted at women, from toddlers to the elderly.

Pakistan, India and Somalia ranked third, fourth and fifth, respectively, due to high rates of domestic violence, female infanticide (which is estimated to have resulted in up to 50 million girls are thought to be “missing” over the past century), female genital cutting, acid attacks and economic discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭enricoh

Don't think that link I posted was an extremist opinion!

It showed the nationality of perpetrators of sexual crimes in Finland and published by Finnish cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭Cordell

It was true then, it is true now. The crime statistics are neither racist or extreme, they are just facts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

First attempt at extraditing him, he fled as he was boarding the plane. Spanish officers then refused to fly with him back to Spain, presumably as he’s a liability.

Second attempt, he shat himself so, the pilot didn’t want him on board.

From what I gather, he’s now serving time on prison for when he tried to evade extradition. Will we ever be able to get rid of the fcuker?!

North African men are really not covering themselves in much glory in the past while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Uhm. Why is it our problem that their countries are violent and broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭Cordell

The question you should be asking is why are we allowing it to become our problem?

The thread is not just about refugees but immigration, read the title. Why was he let in in the first place, he had a lot of criminal history in Germany and Spain. We have enough of our own hoodlums to deal with.

And how dare you slur me with the far right tag, incidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Cause irish emigrated and worked like dogs in countries that needed slave labour practically. And lived in shite conditions years ago. Difference being why irish emigrated was survival. Now it's just for the golden treasure at the end of the rainbow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Lol talking about trying to spin it to suit your agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Another scumbag we will end up being stuck with because the Spanish won't want him as their problem anymore.

The right thing to do would be to dump him back to what ever country he was born in.

Oh and that judge is an idiot feeling sorry for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Carlito Brigantes Tale

It's almost like and hear me out here, there's a pattern emerging with a certain demographic of men from a certain part of the world.

If only someone had warned us about this...

Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LongfordMB

Highlighting that they are violent broken men doesn't really help your case

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The Ipsos poll on the same topic from four weeks later never seems to get mentioned by the usual suspects (strangely):

"More than half of Irish people think the State should accept all Ukrainian refugees able to travel to Ireland. 

That’s according to the latest Irish Times/Ipsos poll measuring attitudes of 1,200 Irish people.  

Some 52% said it is important Ireland continues to accept all Ukrainians that can make it here, while 67% said they would be happy to accommodate Ukrainian refugees in their area - compared to 49% of people who said they would accommodate refugees from countries other than Ukraine.  

Despite that, the majority of those polled (48%) said Ireland has accepted too many Ukrainian refugees. 

A similar poll last year showed 60% of people thought there were too many Ukrainian refugees in Ireland. 

The poll did not ask if Ireland should accept all refugees from outside Ireland able to travel here, or if there are too many refugees from outside Ukraine in Ireland."

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

Lonnng time lurker and previous Boardie!

Our country needs immigration, that's a given. Our food & tourist industry, nursing, tech etc... wouldn't be functional without people arriving here.

The whole balanced/sensible approach to immigration has changed drastically within the last year imo. So it's vital to establish the facts here and have some sensible realistic reality regarding our outdated asylum laws and future planning of immigration. Imo the most worrying aspect of our immigration issues is our government not admitting there is indeed a immigration emergency.

Dropping people around the country on already strained services/infrastructure is a complete disaster. What jobs will be offered for people, what recreational facilities will be offered for new arrivals and what’s the long term plan for providing these people a life within the country towns and villages? In cities, some streets are turning into camping sites. These people are roaming the streets without anything but a tent with pocket money and some vouchers for survival. It’s unfair for local populace to be notified 24 or 48 hours before 100s of unknown people arriving within your doorstep, without any proper consultation or planning.

Listening to Gov & party members keep towing the line, it's our "obligation" or "do our part". What is our obligations exactly, how is our immigration officers dealing with non-documented people arriving at our shores ? what resources are been allocated to help with this surge?

Ordinary John or Mary that I've spoken to are worried because there's a breakdown of trust between the locals and councillors. The officials & councillors have no answers or information on who is coming into our communities. No communication, proper planning or discussion regarding the surge in immigration has created this anger and frustration within many communities I know, should it continue(which is most likely) it'll leave people switching to more right leaning people.

Government/ councillors from all parties need to stop and assess this quickly and get a plan rolled out. People are sick of their teeth hearing sound bites and not been providing on any future plans or systems for immigration.

Plain to see its money for businesses that provide accommodation. (Usually fat cats)That's it period. The rest is taxpayers monies being squandered to do it. Ponzi schemes were built on stronger foundations.

• Advertisement

Aware that people are profiteering, the dog on streets know this.

The Gov announced recently that they're building accumulation centers to house them down the road (Simon Harris mentioned this on the radio). This will stop private properties accommodating new arrivals whenever that be? But there be some City West type accommodation getting the nod, how many or where I don't know?

This won't stop immigration flight to Ireland, if anything it'll encourage more people to arrive. Again the government is always overly vague with the details on any issue. Always reactive never proactive with this government.

But why. What's the end game here. Explain. Is there some unforeseen apocalyptic event on the horizon. Explain your action without public endorsement. It results in complete public resentment

Asking me, absolutely no idea what our immigration cap amounts to? They (gov) won't answer it, this is part of the frustration people(protestors)are expressing. We're biting off much more than we can chew here, see from tents popping up on streets etc...

As usual like everything these days, it's turned into a left vs rightwing clusterfuck debate. With people cheering/baiting each other on while a serious problem is developing within our Cities and villages. Remember when we could chat and rationalise any problems now its been broadcasted by Gov officials explaining "disinformation", "not understanding" or "Far right" is the problem....no, not securing the boarder with the basic 101 boarder controls and not providing a healthy debate or chat regarding immigration is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I would agree with many of your points here. Regarding what you are saying in Paragraph 3 though, my understanding is that non-Ukrainian asylum seekers are not supposed to stay in these towns or villages long term, it's just meant to be 'temporary' or emergency accommodation and there is no plan for any of them to settle in those communities (I have no actual knowledge of this btw, just what I read in the newspapers).

The left talk about diversity. Hilarious considering they want to wipe out a small population smaller than a city in most western countries. Yet we owe it to one n all somehow. Disgusting the lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

So Varadkar penned a letter for the Sindo as part of their PR spin initiative. Newstalks Barry Whyte took a little in-depth look at it and all was not as it seemed

Oh Leo...you big spoofer!

Sample -

LV: ...They [A/Ss] have the right to stay here until their application is accepted or refused, in which case a deportation order is issued.

"If they do not leave voluntarily, this is done forcibly," he wrote. "Last year, the speed at which decisions are made was increased considerably, and nearly a thousand deportation orders were issued — the highest ever”.

Barry Whyte: Sources within the international protection system have told me that “hardly anyone is deported if their application is rejected. Hundreds of people are ordered to leave the State but do not comply”.

You go Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Carlito Brigantes Tale

"Are not suppose to stay in these towns and villages long term" this is the question or example noone knows. Maybe a case by case plan for individuals, some people could request special assistance within accommodation?

People are free to roam, leave or maybe resettle around the country. Seems that AS(Asylum Seekers) are moved onto apartments or shared houses after leaving AS centers. I could be wrong but that's my understanding of the logistics...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I actually copied the text in case it disappeared - That's where we're at these days with the media - Having said that, NT don't seem to be as controlled as our Montrosian friends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

stunned actually stunned that article is on Newstalk. Am i stunned that Leo is economical with the truth, **** no. Now so if Leo is telling half porkies… who in gods earth do we believe? and how did the system get so broke?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement